"Men are not prisoners of fate, but only prisoners of their own minds."
                -- Franklin D. Roosevelt (1882 - 1945)

Author Topic: how to make a coat of plates  (Read 8192 times)

Sir Wolf

• He Who is Not to be Named
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces

B. Patricius

• Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Follower
  • just a brother knight
    • my pinterest - full of research
Re: how to make a coat of plates
« Reply #1 on: 2013-06-27, 01:01:40 »
oooh  ;D

that'll be coming in handy over the next few months!
"Be open with your thoughts, Be witty with your humor, Be kind with your words, Be sensible in your acts." - Lord Dane
Never theorize before you have data. Invariably, you end up twisting facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.
~Officium-Honestas-Sacrificium~
my facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/murphy.patrick.j

Sir Wolf

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
« Reply #2 on: 2013-06-27, 01:04:57 »
ya man, i still have never made one. i got an older version's material part made, but never finished it

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #3 on: 2013-06-27, 15:53:25 »
Having just gone through taking out the "speed/jiffy" pop rivets from a coat of plates and replacing them all with regular rivets ... please never build any armor with pop rivets. Ever. I also need to do the same with some splint armor I got a while back.

Regular rivets are easy and take marginally longer, but work far better. If you use pop rivets on medieval armor, may the armor gods smite you with 101 armor bites in sensitive areas. :)
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent

Sir Gerard de Rodes

• "Chivalry our Strength, Brotherhood our sword"
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Robor meum Deus
    • The Freemen Of Gwent
« Reply #4 on: 2013-06-27, 17:11:11 »
I`ve just finished making mine to that same patten, using plates from my old one. The only difference is I don`t have the shoulder plates as I use spaulders.  I have used Blue leather with navy blue velvet over the front. I stitched the edges with yellow waxed linen thread that really pops. I found that a very simple form of rivet stand in is copper roofing nails, and they really look amazing with the blue velvet.

G
"War is at first like a beautiful girl with whom all men long to play,but in the end like a repulsive hag whose suitors all weep and ache" Samuel Hanagid (993-1056)

B. Patricius

• Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Follower
  • just a brother knight
« Reply #5 on: 2013-06-27, 22:45:16 »
Regular rivets are easy and take marginally longer, but work far better. If you use pop rivets on medieval armor, may the armor gods smite you with 101 armor bites in sensitive areas. :)

LMAO :D that got me laughing pretty hard
"Be open with your thoughts, Be witty with your humor, Be kind with your words, Be sensible in your acts." - Lord Dane
Never theorize before you have data. Invariably, you end up twisting facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.

Allan Senefelder

• Forum Follower
« Reply #6 on: 2013-06-28, 11:54:18 »
If you can afford a copy of the Wisby book, all the drawings ( its standard practice to have a team of people doing exact scale drawing of all finds on an archeological dig both in situe and after removal. I did this on a dig on an 11th-16th century cicstertian monastery dig in England in the 80's ) are to scale and the scale is listed at the bottom of each page of drawings. Once you know the scale, a trip to Kinkos ( in the case of the gaugtlets ) and having them blow the pages up to full size and run off on large sheets of cardstock yields original plate sized templates including hole locations at which point you're 50-70% of the way there depending on what your building from the book. If working from the various coats of plates, used its fairly easy to calculate the conversion of the scale, so a ruler and knowing the scale conversion allows you to simply draw up the coat of plates plates from the originals by actually measureing each draw plate, and doing the scale conversion on the measurement. We did it with both Wisby gauntlets and one of the Wisby COP's. The scale listed in the drawing and a ruler will help you determine how much the plates overlapped as well. Don't know if this is helpfull but its how we did it.

Thorsteinn

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
Fall down seven, get up eight.

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #8 on: 2013-06-28, 19:07:15 »
Allan, that's genius. I think I saw the Wisby book briefly at a convention with Wade Allen.
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent

Sir Wolf

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
« Reply #9 on: 2013-06-28, 19:21:52 »
hey i have that book...

B. Patricius

• Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Follower
  • just a brother knight
« Reply #10 on: 2013-06-28, 22:59:00 »
If you can afford a copy of the Wisby book, all the drawings ( its standard practice to have a team of people doing exact scale drawing of all finds on an archeological dig both in situe and after removal. I did this on a dig on an 11th-16th century cicstertian monastery dig in England in the 80's ) are to scale and the scale is listed at the bottom of each page of drawings. Once you know the scale, a trip to Kinkos ( in the case of the gaugtlets ) and having them blow the pages up to full size and run off on large sheets of cardstock yields original plate sized templates including hole locations at which point you're 50-70% of the way there depending on what your building from the book. If working from the various coats of plates, used its fairly easy to calculate the conversion of the scale, so a ruler and knowing the scale conversion allows you to simply draw up the coat of plates plates from the originals by actually measureing each draw plate, and doing the scale conversion on the measurement. We did it with both Wisby gauntlets and one of the Wisby COP's. The scale listed in the drawing and a ruler will help you determine how much the plates overlapped as well. Don't know if this is helpfull but its how we did it.

any ISBN on that book?  or did I miss it above?!  Man oh man, I do love archaeological journals, dissertations, etc etc :D I'm such "that nerd" lol

I always love having precedence in my kit, I can't help it.

Thanks for posting this Allan

Lord Dane

• The Hound, Hunter, and Hammer of Justice
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Selflessness, Service, Justice.
« Reply #11 on: 2013-06-28, 23:06:05 »
Which 'precedence' do you like in your kits?? 'Presidents' Obama, Reagan, Ford, Kennedy?? There's so many to choose from in history. :) yuck yuck yuck.
"Fides, Honos, Prudentia, Sapiencia" (Faith, Honor, Prudence, Wisdom)
"Fiat justitia ruat caelum" (Let justice be done)

B. Patricius

• Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Follower
  • just a brother knight
« Reply #12 on: 2013-06-28, 23:50:02 »
Which 'precedence' do you like in your kits?? 'Presidents' Obama, Reagan, Ford, Kennedy?? There's so many to choose from in history. :) yuck yuck yuck.

precĀ·eĀ·dence 
/ˈpresədəns/
Noun
The condition of being considered more important than someone or something else; priority in rank.
The order to be observed by people of different rank, according to an acknowledged or legally determined system.
Synonyms
precedency - priority - preference - antecedence

:P
« Last Edit: 2013-06-28, 23:52:12 by B. Patricius »