"No person was ever honored for what he received. Honor has been the reward for what he gave."
                -- Calvin Coolidge

Author Topic: The Life of a Knight, 1171-1252: From Philippe Augustus to Saint-Louis  (Read 6952 times)

Sir Wolf

• He Who is Not to be Named
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
The Life of a Knight, 1171-1252: From Philippe Augustus to Saint-Louis Yann Kervran (Author)
http://www.amazon.com/The-Life-Knight-1171-1252-Saint-Louis/dp/2352500672/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1369792262&sr=8-1&keywords=The+Life+of+a+Knight%2C+1171-1252%3A+From+Philippe+Augustus+to+Saint-Louis
Publication Date: July 2008
The medieval knight has a distinctive silhouette, despite the numerous legends which blur historical reality. At the turning point between the 12th and 13th centuries, while the feudal order was slowly disappearing in favor of the overwhelming royal will, some men stood apart from their contemporaries by their ability to fight on horses. They held the power and were considered little by little as the ruling class; they were the lords of the land. Thibaut des Puys de Morsaing, a young and poor bachelor, is about to achieve great success and become a rich land owner. Following his father's steps, who died during the Crusades, and his godfather's, Tristan de Maumesnil, he grasps the opportunities offered to him. The many events in the life of this imaginary character are used as a pretext to stage France's medieval society, from king Philippe Auguste to Saint Louis.
Product Details
Hardcover: 116 pages
Publisher: Histoire and Collections (July 2008)
Language: English
ISBN-10: 2352500672

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
Was this good?  Says only 2 in stock but more on the way.  Added to the wish list.
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€

Sir Wolf

• He Who is Not to be Named
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
i dont have it, a friend told me about it

Sir Edward Oldwall

• New Forum Member
I have that book. It is a Medieval life told in pictures. A great resource for period clothing. It has good depictions of armor and shows Medieval daily life well. I recommend the book for anyone that wants a pictorial resource of the time period.
I've bought your soul, fight well for me!

Sir Rodney

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Inquit Corvus
    • The Mercenary Company Nevermore
I have that book. It is a Medieval life told in pictures. A great resource for period clothing. It has good depictions of armor and shows Medieval daily life well. I recommend the book for anyone that wants a pictorial resource of the time period.

Are you thinking of 1381: The Peel Affinity by La Belle Compagnie or The Medieval Soldier, 15th Century Life Recreated in Colour Photographs by Embleton & Howe?
"Oh, what sad times are these when passing ruffians can say Ni at will to old ladies. There is a pestilence upon this land, nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." - Roger the Shrubber

Sir Edward Oldwall

• New Forum Member
Are you thinking of 1381: The Peel Affinity by La Belle Compagnie or The Medieval Soldier, 15th Century Life Recreated in Colour Photographs by Embleton & Howe?

I have not had a chance to read those books, Sir Rodney. So, I am unable to compare them with the book I have.
I've bought your soul, fight well for me!

Sir Rodney

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Inquit Corvus
    • The Mercenary Company Nevermore

I have not had a chance to read those books, Sir Rodney. So, I am unable to compare them with the book I have.

A) That confirms that The Life of a Knight, 1171-1252: From Philippe Augustus to Saint-Louis goes onto my "want it" list.

B) I highly recommend you get your hands on the two titles I mentioned.  You won't put them down!   :)
"Oh, what sad times are these when passing ruffians can say Ni at will to old ladies. There is a pestilence upon this land, nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." - Roger the Shrubber