"He is victorious who knows when and when not to fight."
                -- Sun Tzu

Author Topic: The Walking Dead - by TellTale Games  (Read 2696 times)

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
The Walking Dead - by TellTale Games
« on: 2013-05-28, 20:13:40 »
This is not the FPS that is based on the tv series, this is a point-and-click adventure based on the actual comic books themselves.  Unlike the aforementioned, this game shares the same art style and characterizations as the comics, and you do run into one or two of the characters from the comics.  Here's an info link on the game:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Walking_Dead_(video_game)

As a gamer, I'm usually drawn to FPS or 3PS, action/adventure/RPG style games- in the vein of CoD, Grand Theft Auto, Fable, AC, Elder Scrolls- games like these.  This game doesn't fit the bill for any of those but that doesn't mean its a crap game.

Quite the opposite, in fact.  This game's selling points will be the stories and characters- well written story, really strong voice acting, I found myself getting drawn in during the first hour of play.  Although there will be times where you'll have to shoot, chop or stab your share of zombies, this is not a shooter.  The targeting reticle serves many purposes - it doesn't even look like a targeting reticle, that's just what I'm referring to it as; all of your action elements will be performed via this reticle.

I think the first thing that struck me was how well they managed to set the tone of the comics (and to a lesser extent, the tv show- which isn't 100% faithful to the comics and since I've read the first 96 issues, is somewhat of a peeve for me); the critical moments are very well done and the dialog is top notch and very convincing.  The dialog aspect is very important- it actually can change the storyline as well as surviving characters based off of the choices you make.

The next thing that struck me was the pacing...as in the comic books, there's very little 'downtime' between events; and the zombies are as disgusting and scary as they are in the books and tv show.  Also, the game is broken down into 5 separate Episodes, each one'll run you at least a couple hours per.

You only get to play as one character, but it is a very interesting and complex character- and you get to choose, in some ways by dialog choice, how he is perceived.  You get to catch your breath as you have discourse with the other survivors, but that's relatively brief.  You'll also find yourself having to juggle priorities and people...getting to know people means they get to know you and based on what they find out (and believe in you and what you say) they may act one way or another towards you.  Its a real 'O the humanity' type of setting at times.  I won't say anymore for fear of spoiling some of the wow moments.

Probably the greatest part of this game is a NPC you cannot control; an 8 year old little girl named Clementine.  The character is so well thought out, so well put together and beautifully acted- you can't help but feel responsible for her and the desire to reunite her w/her parents is one of the driving forces of your character.  Or not.  Depends on how you play him.

Because the choices you make can change the story, I'm currently on my second playthru and trying to go with different responses...sometimes that's more difficult because it really goes against the grain- I never play the 'evil' route a la Fable for example, because it is counter to everything that I am.  I know some people would scoff at such a notion as it is 'just a game' but hey, that's how I play it.  YMMV.
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€

Ian

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
Re: The Walking Dead - by TellTale Games
« Reply #1 on: 2013-05-28, 20:28:19 »
I've played through the first episode on Steam of this a while back and really enjoyed it for all the reasons Sir William has listed.
My YouTube Channel - Knyght Errant
My Pinterest

Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
Re: The Walking Dead - by TellTale Games
« Reply #2 on: 2013-05-29, 15:23:42 »
So, halfway thru the second play thru and I find that my group members aren't the same- there's going to be choices you'll have to make that will determine who lives and who does not.  Pretty heavy stuff...that and juggling Clementine.  I wonder how folks who aren't kid-savvy are doing with that.  As a father of two girls, the choices I make w/regard to her seem to be the right ones- but I imagine folks play it entirely differently.  I find myself unable to disappoint or be mean to her, even tho she's just a pixellated character.  I think that's part of what makes the game great.

Sir Ian, if you ever do get to play thru all 5 eps, I'd be interested to know how it all turned out for you.  I can already tell that things'll be different by the time I reach the end this playthru.

Here's a scenario that I just completed (mild spoiler alert, won't ruin the game tho):

There's some dissension among the ranks, we have a traitor in our midst who'd been cadging supplies and secretly giving them to a group of enemies- no one's come forth but I know who it is (didn't figure it to be this person initially) - another group member decides to take matters into their own hands and opens fire- but another member jumps in at the last second and takes the bullet.  What would you do to or with the one who fired the shot that killed your friend?
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€