Main > The Round Table

'We Have Always Fought': Challenging the 'Women, Cattle and Slaves' Narrative

(1/4) > >>

Sir Edward:

Interesting article:

'We Have Always Fought': Challenging the 'Women, Cattle and Slaves' Narrative
http://aidanmoher.com/blog/featured-article/2013/05/we-have-always-fought-challenging-the-women-cattle-and-slaves-narrative-by-kameron-hurley/

Sir William:
That was an interesting and well-written article that made some very salient points.  History as we are taught is full of missing things and events; I chalk that up to it being sanitized for mass consumption to paint the victors (or governing bodies) in the best light possible.  This particular point has always been something I've thought long and hard about and had come to the same conclusion.  Especially as a Knight:

"Somebody needs to be the person who says something is wrong. We can’t pretend we don’t see it. Because people have been murdered and assaulted on street corners where hundreds of people milled around, pretending everything was normal.

But pretending it was normal didn’t make it so.

Somebody has to point it out. Somebody has to get folks to move.

Somebody has to act."

We are the type; we are the ones who are supposed to act when no one else does. 

Sir James A:
You know, I never gave it much thought, but I read that yesterday and I just noticed something today, in this horrible story:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2329089/Woolwich-attack-Two-men-hack-soldier-wearing-Help-Heroes-T-shirt-death-machetes-suspected-terror-attack.html

--- Quote ---The two men are thought to have waited around for 20 minutes until Metropolitan Police officers arrived and then tried to attack them - but were swiftly shot by armed policemen, including a woman.
--- End quote ---

Including a woman? Wow, a female cop? That was relevant enough to be mentioned separately, I guess?

Sir Edward:

--- Quote from: James Anderson III on 2013-05-22, 20:46:36 ---
--- Quote ---The two men are thought to have waited around for 20 minutes until Metropolitan Police officers arrived and then tried to attack them - but were swiftly shot by armed policemen, including a woman.
--- End quote ---

Including a woman? Wow, a female cop? That was relevant enough to be mentioned separately, I guess?

--- End quote ---

Yeah, it's a bit of an eye-opener, isn't it? I'm certainly going to be on the look-out for it now. It raises an excellent point about how much of this sexism we just don't notice.

Joshua Santana:

--- Quote ---Yeah, it's a bit of an eye-opener, isn't it? I'm certainly going to be on the look-out for it now. It raises an excellent point about how much of this sexism we just don't notice.
--- End quote ---

To me, it all boils down towards how people react to something and then make a big mountain out of an ant hill.  I was surprised when the female cop was with the metropolitan police and one of the shot down was a woman.  The line has to be drawn as to prevent something like this from happening.

I am also reminded at how people will attempt to solve an inner societal issue with an external policy solution.  Most of the time this either backfires or it doesn't work.  This is more than evidence to continue the fight to bring back Chivalry, now, more than ever. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version