"The elevator to success is out of order. You'll have to use the stairs... one step at a time."
                -- Joe Girard

Author Topic: Not really our period, but well done by two masters nonetheless  (Read 11457 times)

B. Patricius

• Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Follower
  • just a brother knight
    • my pinterest - full of research
We learn something new everyday :D

for example, I learned that Puck Curtis is a knight within the Adrian Empire, the group I'm a part of, and rumor has it he lives not too far away.  It would be an honor just to sit and chat with him about Destreza, let alone a demonstration.  I'd be very interested to see how he works with and translated the text and complicated moves versus my old maestro, who was classically trained through his family for generations.  It's always fun to work with and learn through new perspectives.

Also, I LOVE this scene in Game of Thrones :D what a great "Dancing Instructor"

« Last Edit: 2013-05-31, 20:45:30 by B. Patricius »
"Be open with your thoughts, Be witty with your humor, Be kind with your words, Be sensible in your acts." - Lord Dane
Never theorize before you have data. Invariably, you end up twisting facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.
~Officium-Honestas-Sacrificium~
my facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/murphy.patrick.j

Joshua Santana

• Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Honorare scutum meum, veritas mea gladio
for example, I learned that Puck Curtis is a knight within the Adrian Empire, the group I'm a part of, and rumor has it he lives not too far away.  It would be an honor just to sit and chat with him about Destreza, let alone a demonstration.  I'd be very interested to see how he works with and translated the text and complicated moves versus my old maestro, who was classically trained through his family for generations.  It's always fun to work with and learn through new perspectives.

Excellent, I would love to train with him some point in time and discuss Destreza.  By the way, the clips were interesting.

I've seen and remember the Duende episode. Had no idea it was related to an actual historical "school".

Yep, Destreza and the Spanish School of fencing existed for a long time, it started in the middle 1550 with Carranza, it lasted lasted throughout the 1700's and 1800 up to 1915, it was replaced by sport fencing via the French School.  The Spanish School almost lasted as long as the Italian School which started with Fiore, continuing to Vadi, the Bolognese School, the Italian Rapier masters, the Baroque Masters up to the Neapolitan Classical Fencing School. 1415 to 1900's. 
Knight of The Lion Blade

Honora gladium meum, veritas mea, et Spirítui Sancto.  כדי לכבד המגן שלי, האמת שלי חרבי

Honor My Sword, Truth My Shield.

B. Patricius

• Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Follower
  • just a brother knight
    • my pinterest - full of research
It's also interesting to note that Destreza though, is still being taught in Spain as a classical art.  It just seems that most start with a more sport fencing style then progress to Destreza.  I was fortunate enough to learn from a master of the art whose family has lived in California since the 1700s.  His family were Californios who worked cattle.  He never told me but I have a feeling his family were Dons. 

It's just how it all started with me dressed up as Zorro as a kid, asking for candy at his door and then treated like a celebrity for that whole night with his family.  It was really fun.  Then later, he asked me if I would like to learn how to fight like Zorro, and to learn things that "aren't traditionally taught anymore within the world of fencing." 

What's really cool is what Anthony Hopkins said to Antonio Banderas as the beginning of "The Mask of Zorro:"  "when the student is ready the master will appear."  Twice now I have been fortunate enough to be keenly aware of these opportunities.  First with my friend and neighbor back home, and now, with my current Knight instructors within Adrian Empire.
« Last Edit: 2013-06-02, 15:58:46 by B. Patricius »
"Be open with your thoughts, Be witty with your humor, Be kind with your words, Be sensible in your acts." - Lord Dane
Never theorize before you have data. Invariably, you end up twisting facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.
~Officium-Honestas-Sacrificium~
my facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/murphy.patrick.j

Thorsteinn

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
Nice! Seriously cool!

Fencing wise I've got my step-dad & his best friend, both former Nevada C class champs & KSCA, to teach me. I'm not a great fencer but I do OK.
Fall down seven, get up eight.