"If you are distressed by anything external, the pain is not due to the thing itself, but to your estimate of it; and this you have the power to revoke at any moment."
                -- Marcus Aurelius (121 - 180)

Author Topic: Not really our period, but well done by two masters nonetheless  (Read 11930 times)

B. Patricius

• Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Follower
  • just a brother knight
    • my pinterest - full of research
Greetings all,

I know this isn't necessarily our period of swordsmanship, but it is so beautiful to see two excellent masters working their crafts.  I just felt I had to share it with you all:

I know the Destreza master is Puck Curtis, who is working on translating Destreza (Spanish Rapier) classic works.  The beautiful part about Destreza, is that's it's an art based in math and science and very easy to work with once the language barrier is crossed.

Destreza was my first foray into swordsmanship and the path of chivalry.  I used to watch the Disney Guy Williams Zorro as a kid practically religiously.  A neighbor up the street had tears of joy when I showed up at his house for holloween dressed as my favorite folk hero.  That next friday, when his daughter was babysitting me, he asked me if I wished to learn the true arts of Zorro and Spanish swordsmanship. 

Over 20 years later, I'm still an avid student of Destreza.  And I'm most excited as yesterday, for the first time in 20 years, I held a two-post sidesword, very similar to those shown in Destreza texts by Carranza.  Pure surreal joy doesn't describe the feelings I have as I admire the strain in my forearms and forefinger, and the nicks and scrapes in my forearms from my oppenent's quillions. 

Sir Ian (Bob Williams) who some of you may know is now my main instructor in WMA, and he himself was impressed with what I had once the ringrust was thrusted away.  He's also looking forward to me teaching him the one rapier style he has yet to work with.  It's truly an honor.
"Be open with your thoughts, Be witty with your humor, Be kind with your words, Be sensible in your acts." - Lord Dane
Never theorize before you have data. Invariably, you end up twisting facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.
~Officium-Honestas-Sacrificium~
my facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/murphy.patrick.j

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org

In the video, it looks like they're taking a really relaxed pace too. Puck is really, really good. I've watched him fence before. I think that's Paul Wagner he's practicing with. Paul doesn't move as elegantly, but he's very skilled too.

They usually attend as instructors at WMAW, which is where I've met them.
Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )

B. Patricius

• Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Follower
  • just a brother knight
Yeah,

in the video it appeared more as two friends, that are very good, just checking each other out and gauging what each of them had learned since the last time they got together.  About 2/3 of the way through they start going at it a bit more.  That's awesome that you were able to attend WMAW and work with these guys.  I've just been following Puck via his destreza blog and such for years now.
"Be open with your thoughts, Be witty with your humor, Be kind with your words, Be sensible in your acts." - Lord Dane
Never theorize before you have data. Invariably, you end up twisting facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.

Corvus

• A wanderer on the road less traveled
  • Forum Follower
Brother Patricius;  I noted that you mentioned 'not really our period,...' in  your post and that got me wondering. I had not thought that the Order of the Marshal was locked in to any one particular period of time like the SCA for instance is. Unless of course you are referring in general to the time period thought by most to be the Age of Chivalry.

Otherwise modern day incarnations of Chivalry and Knighthood would be somewhat out of that time period as well  :) ;)
“Gæð a wyrd swa hio scel.”    - Beowulf

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
Kit-wise, we have in the bylaws a target time-range of 1066 - 1600, which is pretty wide, and does allow for rapiers and the like. :)

For the most part, people stick to 13th through 15th centuries, since that's sort of the height of the "age of chivalry" and has the most identifiable armor, swords, and so on. The forum in general gives the most emphasis on those centuries as well, usually.
Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )

Sir Wolf

• He Who is Not to be Named
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
bah i tell you bah! lets put that back a bit to include roman and celts! lol

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
Sir Wolf just wants an excuse to run around with his uglies free and open to society.  lol
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.”

B. Patricius

• Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Follower
  • just a brother knight
The main reason why I felt it wasn't "our period" was because, I've noticed most of the Knights within the Order Marshall appear to have a 14th-15th century kit.  Most of Destreza, at its heart and prime was 17th century, and same with Scottish Backsword. 

Thorsteinn

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
Didn't the show Highlander do a lovely little bit on Destreza once?
Fall down seven, get up eight.

B. Patricius

• Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Follower
  • just a brother knight

I don't know, it'd be cool if they actually did something right for a change.  Seeing what I have of "Highlander" I tend to avoid it like the plague ;)

any chance of a link to a youtube clip would be cool, I'll see what I can find too

this is my personal favorite that "fantasy" has been able to come up with in relation to Destreza, the fact it's a beautiful movie of my favorite folk hero, yeah... one of my favorites of all time:
« Last Edit: 2013-05-22, 23:28:53 by B. Patricius »

Corvus

• A wanderer on the road less traveled
  • Forum Follower
I have been given to understand that the various Jedi sword forms are based on classical swordsmanship as well.
“Gæð a wyrd swa hio scel.”    - Beowulf

Ian

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
I have been given to understand that the various Jedi sword forms are based on classical swordsmanship as well.

In the movies specifically Bob Anderson, classical swordsman, did all the sword choreography.  He just recently died.  He also did the sword work for Lord of the Rings, Princess Bride, Zorro, Highlander, a lot of the old Erroll Flynn movies etc.
My YouTube Channel - Knyght Errant
My Pinterest

Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum

Joshua Santana

• Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Honorare scutum meum, veritas mea gladio
I know the Destreza master is Puck Curtis, who is working on translating Destreza (Spanish Rapier) classic works.  The beautiful part about Destreza, is that's it's an art based in math and science and very easy to work with once the language barrier is crossed.

Destreza was my first foray into swordsmanship and the path of chivalry.  I used to watch the Disney Guy Williams Zorro as a kid practically religiously.  A neighbor up the street had tears of joy when I showed up at his house for holloween dressed as my favorite folk hero.  That next friday, when his daughter was babysitting me, he asked me if I wished to learn the true arts of Zorro and Spanish swordsmanship.

Over 20 years later, I'm still an avid student of Destreza.  And I'm most excited as yesterday, for the first time in 20 years, I held a two-post sidesword, very similar to those shown in Destreza texts by Carranza.  Pure surreal joy doesn't describe the feelings I have as I admire the strain in my forearms and forefinger, and the nicks and scrapes in my forearms from my oppenent's quillions.

Indeed, Destreza is a wonderful sword art to train in.  I myself have studied a bit of Destreza via Thibault of the 17th Century, it works both mind and body together.  The movements or techniques work like magic with the footwork.  There are no best words to describe how this rapier art nearly trumps my love of Medieval Martial Arts (German, Italian and English). 

Yep, "Duende", Season 5.  It is a well written episode and the fight choreography (courtesy of Anthony DeLongis) is awesome.  Upon my studies in Destreza, the accuracy of the fight scenes pretty lame.  Although the idea is pretty much the same, fighting the opponent in an imaginary circle not a literal one.  Angular defense and offense is emphasized as as well as liner defense and offense (in fact Destreza using both linear and angular lines of attacks which is incredible).  I would like to see Puck Curtis demonstrate Destreza with the longsword and catching it on film and attempting the techniques on all of you.  ;)

I find it difficult to not think about Spanish Guitar Music without adding this line in relevance to Destreza and Spanish Swordsmanship.  "Fear Me, if you dare!"
Knight of The Lion Blade

Honora gladium meum, veritas mea, et SpirĂ­tui Sancto.  כדי לכבד המגן שלי, האמת שלי חרבי

Honor My Sword, Truth My Shield.

Thorsteinn

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
Fall down seven, get up eight.

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
You know, I've seen and remember the Duende episode. Had no idea it was related to an actual historical "school".
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent