"You may have a fresh start any moment you choose, for this thing that we call 'failure' is not the falling down, but the staying down."
                -- Mary Pickford

Author Topic: Modern Orders of Chivalry  (Read 12161 times)

Corvus

• A wanderer on the road less traveled
  • Forum Follower
Modern Orders of Chivalry
« on: 2013-05-20, 05:31:54 »
I believe that some may find this of interest...

Orders of Chivalry
“Gæð a wyrd swa hio scel.”    - Beowulf

B. Patricius

• Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Follower
  • just a brother knight
    • my pinterest - full of research
Re: Modern Orders of Chivalry
« Reply #1 on: 2013-05-20, 19:47:17 »
That's a good link Corvus,

it appears to be biased a bit though, seems to be missing the orders in Catholicism. 
http://www.chivalricorders.org/  here's a pretty good one too!
"Be open with your thoughts, Be witty with your humor, Be kind with your words, Be sensible in your acts." - Lord Dane
Never theorize before you have data. Invariably, you end up twisting facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.
~Officium-Honestas-Sacrificium~
my facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/murphy.patrick.j

Corvus

• Forum Follower
« Reply #2 on: 2013-05-21, 04:03:18 »
Thanks Brother Patricius - I shall have a peek!

Corvus

• Forum Follower
« Reply #3 on: 2013-05-21, 17:43:46 »
I have heard more than once that there are quite possibly modern chivalric orders out there that are not specifically Christian in nature. I have not been able to find any so far that seem legitimate, yet a study of such groups would be of interest to me.

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #4 on: 2013-05-21, 18:14:42 »

Yeah, I think it comes down to what you consider "legitimate". I had googled this quite a bit about 5 years ago, and what I came up with were the orders that still exist in the church, and a few that are state-sanction in European countries (such as the Order of the Garter).

Modern Orders that have historical precedence, or are state-sanctioned, or are part of the church are still quite numerous (and often very exclusive in terms of who can join).

Modern Orders that were created by enthusiasts, such as our own here, are much smaller in number, but don't fit the definition above. But it still makes me very happy to see groups like the Order of Selohaar, Order of the Fiat Lux, and Knights of Veritas, and other such groups that recreate chivalry and knighthood these days.

Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )

B. Patricius

• Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Follower
  • just a brother knight
« Reply #5 on: 2013-05-21, 19:45:49 »
Modern Orders that were created by enthusiasts, such as our own here, are much smaller in number, but don't fit the definition above. But it still makes me very happy to see groups like the Order of Selohaar, Order of the Fiat Lux, and Knights of Veritas, and other such groups that recreate chivalry and knighthood these days.

QFT and huzzah!  I can't remember the last time I talked with and worked with a group of people that I really have never met before in person, that I also got along with so well, as I do here.  The level of respect, grace and humility found here is truly a symbol of chivalric values, regardless of this group's precedence.  I've met plenty of "knights" who are members of the sacred or stately orders that have that 'elitist' attitude all over them, and scorn us "common folk." 

For me, it has always been the actions first, the words second, and lineage is way deep in last.
"Be open with your thoughts, Be witty with your humor, Be kind with your words, Be sensible in your acts." - Lord Dane
Never theorize before you have data. Invariably, you end up twisting facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.

Joshua Santana

• Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Honorare scutum meum, veritas mea gladio
« Reply #6 on: 2013-05-31, 13:03:55 »
Awesome resources!
Knight of The Lion Blade

Honora gladium meum, veritas mea, et SpirĂ­tui Sancto.  כדי לכבד המגן שלי, האמת שלי חרבי

Honor My Sword, Truth My Shield.

Thorsteinn

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #7 on: 2013-06-02, 08:49:48 »
Fall down seven, get up eight.

B. Patricius

• Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Follower
  • just a brother knight
« Reply #8 on: 2013-06-02, 16:27:13 »
Thorsteinn,

you truly are lucky to be in the kingdom you are.  Kingdom of the West, as I've been to a couple of their demonstrations, and such, is truly special.  Unfortunately, here where I'm at, all I've seen evidence of the white belts is a "frat boy special wearing spurs and some facsimile of armor who won a popularity contest."  And the saddest part, I'm not the one to come up with that.  There is one knight here, that I truly respect that others do kind of shun in the community, but others love, but he doesn't count.  He came from West. :D

Thorsteinn

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #9 on: 2013-06-02, 17:50:50 »
Oh trust me, not every things roses here. For example: For a good long time if you weren't in the In Crowd, or Won a Tourney, then you didn't count. In fact it was said several times by a line of Kings that you had to win a Tourney to get the belt, when it was pointed out how many of the Knights (and 3/4ths of the ones from northern Nevada) had never won a tourney nor even placed well till after their Knighting, the cognitive dissonance was stunning.

Thus why Duchess Sir Mari Alexander & Count Sir Gemini de Grendel did such important work with the Knights Errant project.
Fall down seven, get up eight.

Corvus

• Forum Follower
« Reply #10 on: 2013-06-02, 19:17:10 »
Thorsteinn,

you truly are lucky to be in the kingdom you are.  Kingdom of the West, as I've been to a couple of their demonstrations, and such, is truly special.  Unfortunately, here where I'm at, all I've seen evidence of the white belts is a "frat boy special wearing spurs and some facsimile of armor who won a popularity contest."  And the saddest part, I'm not the one to come up with that.  There is one knight here, that I truly respect that others do kind of shun in the community, but others love, but he doesn't count.  He came from West. :D

Frat boy special - I love it!  Being an actual Frat boy myself from my college days (grin) I know full well what you are talking about with regard to SCA and other such gatherings. I too have seen MANY who wear the belt and spurs - who probably should not be.

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #11 on: 2013-06-03, 01:04:49 »
Thus why Duchess Sir Mari Alexander & Count Sir Gemini de Grendel did such important work with the Knights Errant project.

I don't think I've heard of this project. What did they do?
Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )