"To educate a man in mind and not in morals is to educate a menace to society."
                -- Theodore Roosevelt

Author Topic: Swords at Grave sites  (Read 5462 times)

Corvus

• A wanderer on the road less traveled
  • Forum Follower
Swords at Grave sites
« on: 2013-05-16, 15:49:07 »
Here is a question for you Knight-historians:

I have seen many movies where the heroic fallen are buried with their swords buried blade first, hilt up at the head of the grave.

I have wondered about that, given the fact that in reality a good sword was worth a pretty big amount of money.

I personally have seen the precedent of interring a blade - in several instances in fact. My own Master bid me take his sword after his passing and bury it in a certain small cave on a mountain he held as special. Yet in this case the blade was actually buried. I could not see people simply walking away from a perfectly good sword stuck in the ground.

Hollywood affectation or what? Is there a historical precedent for the sword-stuck-in-the-grave practice?  Thoughts?
“Gæð a wyrd swa hio scel.”    - Beowulf

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
Re: Swords at Grave sites
« Reply #1 on: 2013-05-16, 16:38:00 »

Yeah, I think that's completely invented by Hollywood. Medieval Europeans were very practical. The sword was likely to be inherited by a family member, and not left out to rot. There's little evidence of people being buried with their gear.
Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #2 on: 2013-05-16, 19:02:16 »
I vaguely recall something about "higher" tier vikings being buried with their gear; sword(s), armor, etc. Something recently about a viking buried along with a ship, too, though I can't find the link in my bookmarks. Viking is way earlier than my couple centuries of interest, so best I can do is point you towards that as a possibility - but as far as being done a la Highlander with the sword upright - no, none that I know of.
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #3 on: 2013-05-16, 19:54:52 »
I'd think, none that would've remained untouched/unsullied.  What Sir James stated is what I also have read- kings and chieftains may have been put aboard a ship w/a hoard of treasure and maybe some of their most loyal slaves to keep them company in the afterlife; but by and large I have come to think that such items amongst the rank and file would've probably been handed down from father to son until it was no longer serviceable.  Extant examples of older blades rehilted with more modern furniture seem to bear this out somewhat.
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.”

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #4 on: 2013-05-16, 20:28:07 »
Right, I'm talking more about knights, rather than Vikings, but that is true. :)  (as in, using the sword as a cross-shaped grave marker)

Vikings often were buried with their gear, with the blades warped and bent to discourage grave-robbers, if I recall.
« Last Edit: 2013-05-16, 20:29:02 by Sir Edward »
Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )

Corvus

• A wanderer on the road less traveled
  • Forum Follower
« Reply #5 on: 2013-05-16, 21:42:30 »
Indeed, Sir Edward - those were my thoughts as well. I think the idea of leaving a valuable weapon out to rust in the country (if it ever got the chance to rust) would have been considered to be folly at best.
“Gæð a wyrd swa hio scel.”    - Beowulf

RackThor

• New Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: 2013-05-16, 23:53:30 »
Sir Corvus,

I have no applicable knowledge to the topic at hand however I was curious as to who your "master" was and what you trained under him/her for?
Dragons live in us all, but it takes knowing ones self to become the knight capable of slaying it

Sir Wolf

• He Who is Not to be Named
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
« Reply #7 on: 2013-05-16, 23:57:26 »
i don't know about knights having this done. you see a lot of knights effigies and tombs etc with them shown with them. but whether they are indeed laid to rest with them i can not say. now it was common for great viking thanes/kings/jarls/warriors to be buried with everything they would need to take with them to Valhalla.