Main > The Round Table

Knights and Freemasonry

<< < (2/8) > >>

Sir Wolf:
ya i know some. are really good guys. the thing that always gets me is the mix n match of religion and myths. you get a watered down version of both and a weird combination.

B. Patricius:
When I first saw this topic, the only reason I gave it a chance was because it was on this forum and started by Corvus, truly.  Pretty much everywhere else it becomes something of a name-calling "your mother" fight in about two posts.

Beyond that, I've done some extensive research into the Knights Templar myself, working off of other's work though.  Beyond that knowledge, growing up, going to a Catholic Military School for 3rd-8th grade, and Catholic High School, I've met plenty of Benedictines, Dominicans, Franciscans, St. Patricks, Jesuits and even some Cistercians.  Now, mind you, none of these men and women are militant, but I do know a few who are Chaplains as well, primarily within police departments, but three particularly, who are military chaplains.  None of these people, would have kept up a "rebel Templar" group.  The Church calling out and disbanding the Templars as heretics under the guise of a greedy and in-dept to the Templars, French King, would have deeply upset them, but they wouldn't have rebelled.  The other 99% of the Templars who weren't martyred by their own Pope would have done just as it had said was "done."  They would have been absolved either into the Cistercians themselves, or the Knights Hospitaller. 

It's also interesting to note the contemporary documents of the era, and how people viewed the Knights Templar.  For example, priests, particularly friars were constantly admonished and ridiculed, but the Knights Templar never were!  One can say this is all a conspiracy and the "Templars are that good."  But lets face it, that makes a good story of "Oh no! The world is ending and how do we solve it in either 140 minutes or 400 pages or less!?!"  As Corvus has previously stated, I believe the mass conspiracies are fun and highly publicized.

I have also met plenty of Freemasons, and they never come outright and say "I am a Knights Templar, full embodied with the power of God, direct descendant of Hugh de Payens blah blah blah." They're great guys who believe in charity, honor, respect, and have a strong sense of belonging.  They have told me, every single one of them, as we compare knighthoods together, theirs honors and emulates the Knights Templar.  How many people respect and therefore dress up as Cops, Firefighters, Knights, Musketeers, etc, trying to emulate them, if even for one day in October? 

Beyond that though, there are those that "I'd love to have that tab on my uniform" and do it for the wrong reasons.  It's always one or two people that ruin an experience for everyone else, those they mis-represent, and those who unfortunately have to deal with them!  It's hillarious, but I've noticed TONS of people now claiming to be SEALs... and it's a sad truth.  I feel the worst case scenario of Freemasons to Templars is just a case of this.

Heck, some of us aren't that far off.  But we do draw the line.  I am trying to portray a Knights Templar or Knight of Calatrava in a living history sense to educate and inspire others.  I know Sir Nathan here does the same with his Teutonic kit, heck part of why I decided to take the plunge and create my persona as a brother knight was because of Sir Nathan's!  Then there's those, like I met at an SCA event, "my husband is a REAL knight of the 4th order!... blah blah blah."  And where was the husband?  Nowhere to be found, he "wasn't able to attend this event for blah blah blah reasons."

What's also interesting is this:  Has anyone stopped to wonder why it's [/i]always[/i] about the Knights Templar?  I think it's because, let's face it, from 1100-1300 you had two dominant groups of monastic knights: the Knights Templar, and the Knights Hospitaller.  Now, for all those authors out there, which one can't sue you for slander?  Which one is still in existence, has the real connections both in Protestant and Catholic Faith, and can grill you till their heart's content?  I think that's the reason why it's always them, not the Knights Hospitaller.  The Templars have no legal way of defending themselves.

All of this, highly possible and I think a very good theory as to what is really going on.  Beyond that, the other, even more outlandish theories could also be just as true.  That's what keeps it going, and as far as I'm concerned, if it convinces a kid to pick up a book, rather than a joint, or especially a spray can with nefarious thoughts, WIN.  It's our curiosity that makes us human, and right now, I just see so little of it sometimes.

But, at least now documents are coming out about the trials.  fact
The Catholic Church agrees what happened was an atrocity fact
Templars good name restored? I hope so, and that's why I portray one to help further it along.

- for Sir Wolf  ;D

Sir Edward:

Something that's really interesting about the Templars is that a few years ago, some documentation was found in the Vatican library that shows that the ruling against them was overturned about 20 years after the fact. I think it's pretty clear that even back then, people realized how political and atrocious it was, and within a couple of decades the decision was reversed. Of course, the damage was done.

I agree that a lot of the current popularity of attaching conspiracy theories, and a broad mythos around the Templars comes from the fact that they were disbanded 700 years ago, and there's no one around who can make a solid claim to their identity. There is also some rich history around their disappearance that people can draw on for their stories, including some missing treasure, and the possibility that some fled up into Scotland.

From the Freemason perspective, I've always assumed that they styled some things after the Templars, but there's no strong evidence of an actual connection over 700 years. 

B. Patricius:
I've always liked the reply I read somewhere on the AA about the Knights Templar at the Battle of Bannockburn.  Someone jokingly said "of course they would have said the Templars were there!  Just to save face!  How can the English get beat by a bunch of starving, poor knights with sharp pointy sticks?"  ;D

The treasure stuff, maybe it's just the archaeologist in me, I've always been interested in.  I blame Indy for that though, more than the Templars themselves.  It would have been cool to be a fly on the wall when they got to the Al-Aqsa Mosque and made it their headquarters.

Sir Wolf:
your mother Trebek!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version