"Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up."
                -- Thomas Edison

Author Topic: Knights and Freemasonry  (Read 19960 times)

Corvus

• A wanderer on the road less traveled
  • Forum Follower
Knights and Freemasonry
« on: 2013-05-15, 00:08:07 »
Someone on FB the other day was mentioning Knighthood and was saying that there are Knightly orders buried in the customs of Freemasonry. Naturally I thought of the Knights Templar Order which I have heard is a part of one of the mystery schools of certain Masonic groups.

Any Freemasons on here who might be able to clarify that?
“Gæð a wyrd swa hio scel.”    - Beowulf

Sir Wolf

• He Who is Not to be Named
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
Re: Knights and Freemasonry
« Reply #1 on: 2013-05-15, 01:04:10 »
into monty python skit... masonry opens doors lol

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #2 on: 2013-05-15, 14:56:59 »
It's all conspiracy theory, coincidence, and guesswork. And a lot of it. If you haven't seen "Holy Grail in America", a history channel 2 hour show, watch it, it's a pretty good intro into this. Also "Guardians of the Secret Identity of Christ" book is good so far, though I'm only about halfway through it.
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #3 on: 2013-05-15, 15:10:30 »
I suppose it is possible; but there are proponents and opponents of the idea.  The sticking point- the Templars were branded as heretics and the Order disbanded in 1312 so there weren't any Templars after that.  To say that they somehow joined these later organizations has been argued as spurious at best; I think it safer to say that these later orders took cues from the Templars.  The oldest known extant Freemason document dates to 1390- you could conclude that although the Templars had been dissolved, they hadn't been forgotten and someone, somewhere disagreed with the outcome.
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.”

Corvus

• Forum Follower
« Reply #4 on: 2013-05-17, 00:51:46 »
Personally, having known one or two Freemasons in my time, I would say that they get a lot of bad press with regard to all the conspiracy theories floating around these days. No doubt the bestselling author Dan Brown has certainly not lessened this with his novels of late either.

The terms that every Mason I have ever met use to describe what they do are 'honor', 'service' and 'fraternity', and basically I have also been told it is like a big family of brothers. Some have remained mute on the Knighthood aspect though, other than to say that there are a few higher degrees in some schools of masonry that have the Templar aspect to them.

Food for thought anyway

Sir Wolf

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
« Reply #5 on: 2013-05-17, 01:22:30 »
ya i know some. are really good guys. the thing that always gets me is the mix n match of religion and myths. you get a watered down version of both and a weird combination.

B. Patricius

• Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Follower
  • just a brother knight
    • my pinterest - full of research
« Reply #6 on: 2013-05-17, 13:59:28 »
When I first saw this topic, the only reason I gave it a chance was because it was on this forum and started by Corvus, truly.  Pretty much everywhere else it becomes something of a name-calling "your mother" fight in about two posts.

Beyond that, I've done some extensive research into the Knights Templar myself, working off of other's work though.  Beyond that knowledge, growing up, going to a Catholic Military School for 3rd-8th grade, and Catholic High School, I've met plenty of Benedictines, Dominicans, Franciscans, St. Patricks, Jesuits and even some Cistercians.  Now, mind you, none of these men and women are militant, but I do know a few who are Chaplains as well, primarily within police departments, but three particularly, who are military chaplains.  None of these people, would have kept up a "rebel Templar" group.  The Church calling out and disbanding the Templars as heretics under the guise of a greedy and in-dept to the Templars, French King, would have deeply upset them, but they wouldn't have rebelled.  The other 99% of the Templars who weren't martyred by their own Pope would have done just as it had said was "done."  They would have been absolved either into the Cistercians themselves, or the Knights Hospitaller. 

It's also interesting to note the contemporary documents of the era, and how people viewed the Knights Templar.  For example, priests, particularly friars were constantly admonished and ridiculed, but the Knights Templar never were!  One can say this is all a conspiracy and the "Templars are that good."  But lets face it, that makes a good story of "Oh no! The world is ending and how do we solve it in either 140 minutes or 400 pages or less!?!"  As Corvus has previously stated, I believe the mass conspiracies are fun and highly publicized.

I have also met plenty of Freemasons, and they never come outright and say "I am a Knights Templar, full embodied with the power of God, direct descendant of Hugh de Payens blah blah blah." They're great guys who believe in charity, honor, respect, and have a strong sense of belonging.  They have told me, every single one of them, as we compare knighthoods together, theirs honors and emulates the Knights Templar.  How many people respect and therefore dress up as Cops, Firefighters, Knights, Musketeers, etc, trying to emulate them, if even for one day in October? 

Beyond that though, there are those that "I'd love to have that tab on my uniform" and do it for the wrong reasons.  It's always one or two people that ruin an experience for everyone else, those they mis-represent, and those who unfortunately have to deal with them!  It's hillarious, but I've noticed TONS of people now claiming to be SEALs... and it's a sad truth.  I feel the worst case scenario of Freemasons to Templars is just a case of this.

Heck, some of us aren't that far off.  But we do draw the line.  I am trying to portray a Knights Templar or Knight of Calatrava in a living history sense to educate and inspire others.  I know Sir Nathan here does the same with his Teutonic kit, heck part of why I decided to take the plunge and create my persona as a brother knight was because of Sir Nathan's!  Then there's those, like I met at an SCA event, "my husband is a REAL knight of the 4th order!... blah blah blah."  And where was the husband?  Nowhere to be found, he "wasn't able to attend this event for blah blah blah reasons."

What's also interesting is this:  Has anyone stopped to wonder why it's [/i]always[/i] about the Knights Templar?  I think it's because, let's face it, from 1100-1300 you had two dominant groups of monastic knights: the Knights Templar, and the Knights Hospitaller.  Now, for all those authors out there, which one can't sue you for slander?  Which one is still in existence, has the real connections both in Protestant and Catholic Faith, and can grill you till their heart's content?  I think that's the reason why it's always them, not the Knights Hospitaller.  The Templars have no legal way of defending themselves.

All of this, highly possible and I think a very good theory as to what is really going on.  Beyond that, the other, even more outlandish theories could also be just as true.  That's what keeps it going, and as far as I'm concerned, if it convinces a kid to pick up a book, rather than a joint, or especially a spray can with nefarious thoughts, WIN.  It's our curiosity that makes us human, and right now, I just see so little of it sometimes.

But, at least now documents are coming out about the trials.  fact
The Catholic Church agrees what happened was an atrocity fact
Templars good name restored? I hope so, and that's why I portray one to help further it along.

- for Sir Wolf  ;D
"Be open with your thoughts, Be witty with your humor, Be kind with your words, Be sensible in your acts." - Lord Dane
Never theorize before you have data. Invariably, you end up twisting facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.
~Officium-Honestas-Sacrificium~
my facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/murphy.patrick.j

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #7 on: 2013-05-17, 14:18:16 »

Something that's really interesting about the Templars is that a few years ago, some documentation was found in the Vatican library that shows that the ruling against them was overturned about 20 years after the fact. I think it's pretty clear that even back then, people realized how political and atrocious it was, and within a couple of decades the decision was reversed. Of course, the damage was done.

I agree that a lot of the current popularity of attaching conspiracy theories, and a broad mythos around the Templars comes from the fact that they were disbanded 700 years ago, and there's no one around who can make a solid claim to their identity. There is also some rich history around their disappearance that people can draw on for their stories, including some missing treasure, and the possibility that some fled up into Scotland.

From the Freemason perspective, I've always assumed that they styled some things after the Templars, but there's no strong evidence of an actual connection over 700 years. 
Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )

B. Patricius

• Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Follower
  • just a brother knight
« Reply #8 on: 2013-05-17, 14:38:42 »
I've always liked the reply I read somewhere on the AA about the Knights Templar at the Battle of Bannockburn.  Someone jokingly said "of course they would have said the Templars were there!  Just to save face!  How can the English get beat by a bunch of starving, poor knights with sharp pointy sticks?"  ;D

The treasure stuff, maybe it's just the archaeologist in me, I've always been interested in.  I blame Indy for that though, more than the Templars themselves.  It would have been cool to be a fly on the wall when they got to the Al-Aqsa Mosque and made it their headquarters.
"Be open with your thoughts, Be witty with your humor, Be kind with your words, Be sensible in your acts." - Lord Dane
Never theorize before you have data. Invariably, you end up twisting facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.

Sir Wolf

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
« Reply #9 on: 2013-05-17, 14:48:10 »
your mother Trebek!

B. Patricius

• Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Follower
  • just a brother knight
« Reply #10 on: 2013-05-17, 15:34:00 »
Ya beat me to it Sir Wolf!  ;D  I loved it when Sean Connery was actually on SNL and they did that skit, I was in stitches!  My favorite skit though, has to be the Blues Brothers, I can't help it.

Back to the subject at hand,
Corvus, out of the "documentaries" I have watched, this one probably does the best at "Templar Knights in a Nutshell"  ;D

I'll see what else I can find too

beyond that, I'm ashamed at what counts as a documentary these days... out of everything I've watched, that was the only one to state everything, not just the given facts, but in an unbiased and objective sort of way.  Everything else just goes crazy, and the responses by people in the comments are all just full of hate.
« Last Edit: 2013-05-17, 15:41:32 by B. Patricius »

Sir Wolf

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
« Reply #11 on: 2013-05-17, 15:48:44 »
lol if they were so rich, why they wear such crappy costumes and armour? lol

B. Patricius

• Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Follower
  • just a brother knight
« Reply #12 on: 2013-05-17, 16:13:51 »
 ;D lol especially if they were anything like in that documentary.  Man oh man, I was cringing every time they went to those live action sequences!

beyond that, please remember, a Templar Knight = sworn to poverty, the Templar Order = not so much  ;D - in the best Craig Ferguson voice
« Last Edit: 2013-05-17, 16:15:23 by B. Patricius »

Corvus

• Forum Follower
« Reply #13 on: 2013-05-17, 16:46:39 »
I will have a look at that, Brother Patricius.

Oh yeah, and I love the Blues Brothers too. Blues music in general - a fantastic genre of music.

Indeed, I just heard that there was some Templar group or other, naturally claiming that they are the real knights Templar - who are apparently using the international courts to try to re-acquire certain lands in Jerusalem, claimed by the Knights back in the day.

B. Patricius

• Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Follower
  • just a brother knight
« Reply #14 on: 2013-05-17, 17:52:40 »
I had also heard that there's a group attempting to sue the church for wrong-doings and wishing their money back  ::)
http://forums.armourarchive.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=84964 I find the comments about it over on the ArmourArchive particularly refreshing!  ;D

I'm sorry... just a Holy Order that served the Church, that took vows of poverty... how can any person vie for their "lost money and land"  :o