"Success is never final. Failure is never fatal. It is courage that counts."
                -- Winston Churchill

Author Topic: Knights in the modern world - Jedi  (Read 5554 times)

Corvus

• A wanderer on the road less traveled
  • Forum Follower
Knights in the modern world - Jedi
« on: 2013-05-13, 19:25:01 »
I am a science fiction fan myself among other things, yet some years ago when I first encountered groups of people calling themselves Jedi, I grinned inwardly thinking that this was all simply role-playing fun.

Later though, I actually encountered one or two of these Jedi who were certainly not playing: They were not dressed like the movie Jedi and they certainly didn't go about wielding a plastic lightsaber. In fact they looked and acted like real people in the real world with the exception of the fact that the two I have met seemed like very well balanced, empathic and compassionate people.  Indeed they spoke of things like developing and teaching more 'old-world' style manners to younger folk and of performing community service, etc.

In fact as I began to look into the Jedi phenomenon more I began to realize that while, yes some groups are simply play-acting and others have no idea what they are doing, there are indeed orders out there who have truly taken the Jedi Way to heart and strive to practice it in the 'real world' context.

These guys in particular struck me as the serious, dedicated types.

http://jediacademyonline.com/#!/

So I began to wonder if perhaps the Jedi movement is representative of yet another undercurrent of the noble and chivalrous spirit that is manifesting itself more and more in the world? I mean, why not if that is what it takes to interest some folk in awakening to the noble ideals the world so sorely needs these days.

Thus,  I began to think about these Earth-bound 21st Century Jedi (at least some of them) in a different light as I realized that this might be so.

Most definitely food for thought.
“Gæð a wyrd swa hio scel.”    - Beowulf

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
Re: Knights in the modern world - Jedi
« Reply #1 on: 2013-05-13, 20:12:01 »

Yeah, I had looked at a few of the websites a few years ago. At first I wanted to dismiss it, but I think you're right, there are some who are really taking it to heart. I think the idea of bringing chivalry, honor, and other virtues into the real world is what matters most, and not so much the source of inspiration to do so. Who can really argue if they're using fiction to inspire them to do good?

In our attempts to revive knights and history, can we really claim we haven't been influenced by movies and stories as well? And of course, historical knights were in turn inspired by Arthurian legends.

Definitely food for thought.
Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )

B. Patricius

• Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Follower
  • just a brother knight
    • my pinterest - full of research
« Reply #2 on: 2013-05-14, 03:11:27 »
Personally I feel the Jedi martial arts can be construed as such without very little trouble at all.  It just takes dedication on the nerd's part (myself being one) to do so.  I had a philosophy of Asian martial arts class where a friend and I cross culturally compared Samurai, Jedi, and Medieval Europe.

It's interesting but they did an excellent job of comparing different sword arts and applying them to the Jedi:
Form I: very basic, all horizontal and vertical
Form II: a form of rapier, destreza, smallsword or other single sword European 15-17th century variants
Form III: defensive and countering designed very similarly to the Yagyu clan's "Life Giving Sword" techniques
Form IV: put it plainly, a very Kenjutsu based form
Form V: Medieval Europe broadsword - be it single handed, bastard, or great weapon
Form VI: is a combination of two or more other forms
Form VII: a truly revolutionized and "pure" Jedi form.  Think something along the lines of the earlier forms with Jedi skills added, with the telekinesis, force pushes, and such like that, Mace Windu in an animated short really shows what Form VII can be.

and that's just the sword arts!  Their philosophy is a melting pot of chivalry, Taoism, Bushido and Zen Buddism.  The Sith have their own code that is basically about power and how that power creates freedom with a very selfish undertone.

I could actually go on and on lol
"Be open with your thoughts, Be witty with your humor, Be kind with your words, Be sensible in your acts." - Lord Dane
Never theorize before you have data. Invariably, you end up twisting facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.
~Officium-Honestas-Sacrificium~
my facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/murphy.patrick.j

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #3 on: 2013-05-14, 14:05:44 »
They're espousing a fictional knighthood whereas we have (or rather, Sir Edward has) created one.  I always thought the Jedi fight scenes were great examples of actual fencing (that is, episodes 4-6); eps 1-3 got very athletic and John Woo-like; not that I didn't enjoy that too, it was exciting to watch.

I think, so long as they are following the Philosophy, what they choose to call themselves doesn't matter much, only to them.  More power to them and their like.
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.”

Corvus

• Forum Follower
« Reply #4 on: 2013-05-14, 23:58:10 »
They're espousing a fictional knighthood whereas we have (or rather, Sir Edward has) created one.  I always thought the Jedi fight scenes were great examples of actual fencing (that is, episodes 4-6); eps 1-3 got very athletic and John Woo-like; not that I didn't enjoy that too, it was exciting to watch.

I think, so long as they are following the Philosophy, what they choose to call themselves doesn't matter much, only to them.  More power to them and their like.

Indeed. I agree. There are those who would dismiss them as fictional - as a fellow I know was saying the other day - and yet, though people like Luke Skywalker and Qui Gon Jinn, not to mention Grandmaster Yoda are indeed fictional characters, what has come of those teachings and ideas is not - not now that it has transferred from the realm of movies, games, comics and novels and into the real world.

Ian

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #5 on: 2013-05-15, 00:43:47 »
Well, you must consider that George Lucas borrowed heavily from Zen and Taoist traditions when constructing the Jedi religion, and added a medieval knightly flare in the way he structured the Jedi 'Order'.  So, I would almost argue that while an actual Jedi is fictional, the underlying philosophy is very valid.  And as a huge Star Wars fan, it makes it a lot more fun to wrap it in Jedi robes :)
My YouTube Channel - Knyght Errant
My Pinterest

Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum

Corvus

• Forum Follower
« Reply #6 on: 2013-05-15, 03:04:14 »
Well said  :)