"Courage is doing what you're afraid to do. There can be no courage unless you're scared."
                -- Eddie Rickenbacker

Author Topic: Good inspirational movies  (Read 28642 times)

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
Re: Good inspirational movies
« Reply #45 on: 2013-08-25, 03:09:50 »

I watched the shorter, international version of Arn and thought it was quite good. That version is about 2 hours long, and the original, uncut version is more like 4.

I have since ordered (but not yet watched) the longer version, which you can get on Bluray here:  http://amzn.com/B007K7IB84

I pretty much agree with a lot of what you guys mentioned about Kingdom of Heaven. My biggest gripe is the portrayal of the Templars as well. The director's cut improves the film overall, filling in a few gaps, but the Templar portrayal is pretty much the same.

In addition to being an easy target, I think it's become a bit of a cultural norm in modern story telling to make the large establishments out to be the bad guys automatically. The Templars were widely known, wealthy, and had enormous influence. That practically makes them Darth Vader and the Stormtroopers by today's movie standards.

Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #46 on: 2013-08-25, 03:16:54 »
There are still two movies that I'd particularly like to see that are a little more difficult to find. The War Lord with Charlton Heston and 2007's Mongol. I don't expect The War Lord to be terribly accurate considering it's a 1960s movie, but it looks interesting. I heard Mongol was pretty okay, but don't know much about it other than that it exists.

I have The War Lord, but haven't seen the other. The War Lord is actually pretty decent. Some of the visual effects, and costuming for the bad guys are of course laughable, but the story is pretty decent and sets a nice atmosphere.
Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )

Sir Douglas

• Artificer of Stuff and Things
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • In principio creavit Deus caelum et terram.
« Reply #47 on: 2013-08-25, 03:27:28 »
I think The 13th Warrior is an underrated movie. Sure, it might not be the best movie, but darn it if it isn't a good "manly" movie. It's just good, wholesome, limb-hacking fun!

I have The War Lord, but haven't seen the other. The War Lord is actually pretty decent. Some of the visual effects, and costuming for the bad guys are of course laughable, but the story is pretty decent and sets a nice atmosphere.

I'll have to keep my eye out for it. It's on Amazon, but it's a bit on the expensive side right now. If I ever run across it for a good price, I'll definitely grab it. I like Charlton Heston movies anyway.
Per pale azure and argent, an eagle displayed per pale argent and sable, armed and langued or.

So a Norman, a Saxon, and a Viking walk into England....