"Our own heart, and not other men's opinion, forms our true honor."
                -- Samuel Taylor Coleridge

Poll

If you were forced to perform ground combat which would you prefer?

Rapier
5 (20.8%)
1700's Standard Longsword
3 (12.5%)
Scimitar
0 (0%)
Polearm
8 (33.3%)
Two-Handed Sword
8 (33.3%)

Total Members Voted: 15

Voting closed: 2013-05-03, 06:59:07

Author Topic: Weapon of Choice?  (Read 29495 times)

Lord Dane

• The Hound, Hunter, and Hammer of Justice
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Selflessness, Service, Justice.
Re: Weapon of Choice?
« Reply #45 on: 2013-05-02, 05:49:18 »

I don't have any striker pistols currently, though my wife has one. So far my favorite configuration is on the Sig Sauers: an external hammer with a de-cocking lever instead of a manual safety.

Seconded. Much like Ian loves Glock, I prefer SIG Sauer. Love their design & functionality. My P229R & SP2022 are perfect. :)
"Fides, Honos, Prudentia, Sapiencia" (Faith, Honor, Prudence, Wisdom)
"Fiat justitia ruat caelum" (Let justice be done)

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #46 on: 2013-05-02, 12:49:15 »
P229R & SP2022 are perfect. :)

I'm envious of the rail. I don't think that was an option yet when I bought mine.
Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )

Sir Wolf

• He Who is Not to be Named
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
« Reply #47 on: 2013-05-02, 14:12:07 »
welp time to head to the gun store!

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #48 on: 2013-05-02, 15:32:42 »

Nah, it's OK. If I changed anything, it wouldn't fit in the holster anymore. :)
Sir Ed T. Toton III

Lord Dane

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #49 on: 2013-05-02, 16:54:23 »
I think KC & Me can work out something in mutual exchange for a slight modification to his SIG. Shhhh. I'm an armourer. ;) A picatanny rail would not make you need to change holster but adding a 'permanent accessory' on to it would if you expected to holster a laser, light, or such.
« Last Edit: 2013-05-03, 19:50:36 by Lord Dane »

Ian

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #50 on: 2013-05-02, 19:27:29 »
We finally got rid of that horrible Beretta M9, and started deploying with Sig P226's which was great.  Sigs are awesome, just a little overpriced.  Luckily sig does a good .mil discount if you buy from a master sig dealer.
My YouTube Channel - Knyght Errant
My Pinterest

Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum

B. Patricius

• Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Follower
  • just a brother knight
    • my pinterest - full of research
« Reply #51 on: 2013-05-02, 20:22:06 »
We finally got rid of that horrible Beretta M9, and started deploying with Sig P226's which was great.  Sigs are awesome, just a little overpriced.  Luckily sig does a good .mil discount if you buy from a master sig dealer.

I've shot 1911's since I could walk.  In basic training, yeah, I got that cut on my hand from the M9.  I hate that thing.  Going from the 1911's trigger to that thing was a deep learning curve.  I do love the Sigs too, I have a P238 I continually carry on me.  But for full frame, I do love the H&K.45.  I totally understand where Sir Edward is coming from, I love manual decocks and safeties. 
"Be open with your thoughts, Be witty with your humor, Be kind with your words, Be sensible in your acts." - Lord Dane
Never theorize before you have data. Invariably, you end up twisting facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.
~Officium-Honestas-Sacrificium~
my facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/murphy.patrick.j

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #52 on: 2013-05-02, 21:26:07 »
I'm wondering how different the M9 is from the civilian 92FS. I have one of the latter, and have never had any problems with it. In fact, I think it's the only semi-auto I have that has never jammed on me.

Having said that, I fell in love with the 1911 after finally getting one, and between that and my Sig, I have my needs mostly covered. Recently added a Walther PPK/S as a more concealable option though. And it's the James Bond gun. :)
« Last Edit: 2013-05-02, 21:26:46 by Sir Edward »
Sir Ed T. Toton III

B. Patricius

• Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Follower
  • just a brother knight
« Reply #53 on: 2013-05-02, 21:38:06 »
Walther PPK/S are great guns!  My buddy also has a Walther P-22 lol such a fun plinker since it shoots 22lr.

The M9, as a whole is a very good package.  It's just the feel of it, from a 1911 that had me all up in arms about it.  The trigger pull, and grip just felt "wrong."   Beyond that, a buddy of mine, a Marine who spent time in the dustbowl said it was terrible because of its unique slide.  It'd get crud and grime into its slide within the first 20 seconds out.  I believe that is the main bane of that weapon, so at home, it's ok.

The H&K mk23/USP felt enough like a 1911 that it made it easier for me to adapt to, and after ten years of using them, I'm sold on those bricks.  But still, it's the familiarity, like in all things, that has me sold on it.  Within my first day, I could field strip it, clean it, and get her back together pretty much blindfolded because it was so similar to the 1911.  The catch, latch, saftey, even the barrel, are all very similar to 1911s.

Gotta say though, this is hands down my favorite pistol of all time:
with a cartridge conversion, nothing is better to me.

I like the pocket models too, even though they're small in caliber, I'm pretty sure at 5 feet the perp would still count it.  After seeing what I've seen a 22lr do, I'll put faith in a .32 at defense ranges.  It helps to be able to aim too ;)
"Be open with your thoughts, Be witty with your humor, Be kind with your words, Be sensible in your acts." - Lord Dane
Never theorize before you have data. Invariably, you end up twisting facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.

Sir Wolf

• He Who is Not to be Named
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
« Reply #54 on: 2013-05-02, 22:18:37 »
is that the 58 army? i have a 51 navy and a 60 new army

B. Patricius

• Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Follower
  • just a brother knight
« Reply #55 on: 2013-05-02, 22:58:23 »
is that the 58 army? i have a 51 navy and a 60 new army
close enough  ;)
It's actually an original Remington "Old Model" or "Second Model" which was produced shortly after the Beals.  Most "58 Army" replicas today replicate the "New Model" which follows this one.  Basically the cylinder on this one is way easier to remove and replace than the other two, which apparently the Union Army didn't like, they were afraid of cavalrymen losing cylinders, so they adapted it again to Union specifications, which created the New Model Army.
Here's one of the best online resources I've found for a quick review of the Remington Revolvers: http://armscollectors.com/mgs/an_army_and_two_navies_pt_1.htm

basically I like the "Old Model" because of the quick change cylinder, and the high spur hammer.  Also, it may just be me, but she balances better too.

and yes, medieval re-enactment is only one of my nerdisms ;)

I too own Colt 51 navies and a couple 60 armies as well.

these aren't mine, again the FUBAR with the camera, but these are very similar to mine.  My Colt Navies are second generation and class b engraved... sexy supermodels!  8)

Ian

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #56 on: 2013-05-03, 00:22:25 »
That one on the bottom is dead sexy.
My YouTube Channel - Knyght Errant
My Pinterest

Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum

B. Patricius

• Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Follower
  • just a brother knight
« Reply #57 on: 2013-05-03, 01:03:29 »
I wholeheartedly agree.  It was the first model of the Colt Army.  Back in the day, the fluted cylinder caused cracks so they went to a full cylinder.  It's nice to see Uberti is replicating it now, and its metal is far stronger.  The other weekend, in Lake Havasu I saw a gorgeous Colt "New" Navy, a 1861, which looks a lot like the Army but in .36.  She had a 5 1/2" barrel and the fluted cylinder.  Right now I'm trying to figure out a way to make my Army with that barrel length and a birdshead grip.  That would be the epitome of sexiness.  I love the Colt open tops, it's just the Remington is a far stronger and more reliable cap & ball, hence why she's my fave.

basically here's what I'm working on:
- good pic of the full barrel in comparison to the 5 1/2"
the birdshead grip.

Ironically the birdshead grip is easy-peasy.  Already got that taken care of, now it's getting brave enough to cut the barrel that the trick ;)

Lord Dane

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #58 on: 2013-05-03, 19:54:19 »

Agreed. I love the handle grips. Is the wood walnut?? It is very deep in finish & color.

B. Patricius

• Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Follower
  • just a brother knight
« Reply #59 on: 2013-05-04, 01:15:52 »
Lord Dane,

the grips originally on Italian clones are some sort of deep brown wood, but they aren't walnut.  Something far cheaper.  Then they stain them with a red hue and a urethane.  I don't like it personally.  The original Remington Old Model I have pictured does have walnut grips.  Walnut, Cherry, Mahogany and Ebony are my favorite grips besides the synthetic ivories, but those depend on the manufacturer... some looks amazing and very real, others look like white plastic.