"Honor is like an island, rugged and without a beach; once we have left it, we can never return."
                -- Nicholas Boileau

Author Topic: Inscription supplies?  (Read 4315 times)

Sir Omera

• New Forum Member
Inscription supplies?
« on: 2013-05-01, 21:03:02 »
So, the topic of writing my more sacred philosophical meanderings on parchment with ink, quill and scrollpaper: where can I reliably get the supplies? Are there 'simple' pens that are still mideival? Seal wax? symbols for the wax to set in?

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
Re: Inscription supplies?
« Reply #1 on: 2013-05-01, 21:17:04 »
Walmart, eBay and Amazon are actually decent sources for calligraphy supplies. Walmart also has "paint pens" which are essentially markers with paint in them that lets you have much finer precision than a brush. You can even cut the tips to them if you want, and they run about $2 each.

Wax, I'm not sure, but any candle place should have it, I'd think. As for seals, if you want a variety for reasonably cheap, leather stamping tools will work.
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent

Ian

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #2 on: 2013-05-01, 21:23:46 »
You want to get in touch with the SCA Scribal folks.  Some of them are quite simply amazing at reproducing Illuminated Manuscripts with period implements.  I suspect a lot of them make their quills and inks though.
My YouTube Channel - Knyght Errant
My Pinterest

Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #3 on: 2013-05-02, 03:14:08 »

I've found seal wax at some book stores and card shops. It's easy to get at the renaissance festivals, as well as the seal stamps with typical generic designs. A custom one would cost a bit more, but the basic stuff is super cheap.

Seal wax is a bit different than candle wax, since it's designed to adhere to the paper very readily, and get quite hard when it cools.
Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )