Main > The Round Table

Denizens of the 'Dark Side'

<< < (2/3) > >>

Corvus:
Good thoughts, Tristin.

Indeed I see a lot of promise in the younger generations as well - its just that it does sadden me to think that for many there are no really positive role models available, or that some of these youth don't even bother seeking such.

Sir Edward:

My worry is that the role-models may be going in the wrong direction in our culture. There has been a trend in the last few decades of glorifying violent criminals in stories, movies, games, and so on. The "bad guy with a heart of gold" image is a complete fabrication from Hollywood, but movies can be very influential and people start to think it's real.

Corvus:
Oh yeah; the ones who go around becoming 'fans' of serial killers really get me. I really don't understand the motivations behind someone wanting to do that - except I suppose that in admiring a killer they are somehow acting contrary to mainstream values. Possibly an act of rebellion.

Sir James A:

--- Quote from: Sir Edward on 2013-04-23, 14:15:30 ---My worry is that the role-models may be going in the wrong direction in our culture. There has been a trend in the last few decades of glorifying violent criminals in stories, movies, games, and so on. The "bad guy with a heart of gold" image is a complete fabrication from Hollywood, but movies can be very influential and people start to think it's real.

--- End quote ---

Agreed. And then you have the "idolizing idiots" group. Snooki as a role model? She has the morals of an otter (http://news.discovery.com/animals/the-other-side-of-otters.htm), and yet became a millionaire and best selling author - that's as much a question on the people who bought her book and why.

Study hard, work hard, behave well, and you may get a nice house when you're older (and a 30 year mortgage) just like your parents. Or act like a *censored* *beep* *bop* and become a millionaire before you're 30 and never have to work again.

I hate Hollywood for many reasons. :)

B. Patricius:

--- Quote from: James Anderson III on 2013-04-23, 16:54:43 ---Study hard, work hard, behave well, and you may get a nice house when you're older (and a 30 year mortgage) just like your parents. Or act like a *censored* *beep* *bop* and become a millionaire before you're 30 and never have to work again.

I hate Hollywood for many reasons. :)

--- End quote ---

lol I definitely feel for that Sir James.  I also have to agree with everyone else on here.  I think it's the current times, and the people the youth decide to look up to.  There are plenty of good role models out there, but I think the biggest problem is the "working household."

I don't have a problem with both parents working, but I believe one should be home for the kids when they get off of work.  My dad, self-employed went to work at about 4am so he could be off by around 5 or so.  My mom, worked for him, doing PR for his company, and was home by 2.  I think the biggest problem is the parents, not the current generation of kids.  If the parents don't like something, they should then explain to their kids why.  They should spend time with them so they don't feel bad when they don't and then spoil them.

The "dark side" as Corvus put it, is alive a very well unfortunately.  The saddest part, I don't think it's the Goths and Vampires, but our mainstream media, TV, etc posing as stand-in babysitters for our youth.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version