"We don't receive wisdom; we must discover it for ourselves after a journey (Quest?) that no one can take for us or spare us."
                -- Marcel Post (1871 - 1922)

Author Topic: Denizens of the 'Dark Side'  (Read 7199 times)

Corvus

• A wanderer on the road less traveled
  • Forum Follower
Denizens of the 'Dark Side'
« on: 2013-04-22, 17:02:32 »
Hey all.

Ya know, lately more than ever I have been noticing a trend among the young folk here in the city - and that trend seems to be focused pretty heavily on 'how cool' it is to be a self described 'Dark Sider'.  You know the kinds I mean: Usually the Goth kids but now I see wannbe vampires and the like - who really seem to believe that they are vampires too.

Now on top of this we have kids who appear quite mainstream, yet who are drawn more and more to the grim, drug laden, often suicidal world of the so-called 'Dark Side'.

This is not the real dark side, but a media frosted skewing of reality. The real dark side is a very ominous beast - something that I think a lot of folk who claim to be Darksiders, Darklings, Darkworkers or whatever other term they may use, have little real comprehension of.

You may have noticed that I used the quotes around the term 'Dark Side'. I do this because what I see in these young people is an ideation of something that they have picked up from fiction or other media. For the most part they see the Dark Side as the cool thing; the rebel thing; something that will bring them power of some kind - something to make them stand out. The focus once again narrows upon the self and it becomes a "ME" kind of thing.

I can see where a lot of this comes from: One young fella I talked to on the ferry recently told me that so many of his (20 something) generation turn toward the world of Gothic thought; of raves and drugs and non social behavior - because they feel they have nothing to look forward to. He told me that he felt that all the opportunities were gone...and that his generation doesn't even have any decent music of its own.

I think we live in a world desperate for balance, not an increase in polarities. In particular with our young people who I see as the bright future of our species. I think that rather than turning toward the dark they should seek the balance that resides within all of us.

We need our young people. They are indeed the key to a better tomorrow. Thus I wonder how folk like us might subtly get the message out that there are avenues for balance and happiness and service out there?

Living by example and teaching when the moment is right is the method I use anyway.

Thoughts?
“Gæð a wyrd swa hio scel.”    - Beowulf

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
Re: Denizens of the 'Dark Side'
« Reply #1 on: 2013-04-22, 18:14:55 »
Acceptance by a group, and ease of acceptance. Most kids/teens want to belong. If they can belong, and it requires no effort - even easier for them. If "dark" stuff is what's popular, they want to be with the popular group. Movies have a lot to do with that influence lately. I'd wager most of them don't care about the activity as much as they do being part of a group.
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #2 on: 2013-04-22, 19:47:38 »

I suspect that it's exactly that-- it's "cool", it's culturally current, it's empowering (in an individualistic sort of way), and a means to be accepted in a social group designed around being outcasts, mutually, together (which in a way sounds like a contradiction).

My feeling is that most aren't actually desiring true darkness, and when faced with it, they'd be at a loss as to how to handle it or combat it. It probably varies to a great degree, from person to person, how likely they are to fall into addictions, crime, and other such problems. Many probably like the clothes, and social aspects, without getting into the real "underworld" aspects.

I wish there were more positive role-models available, and culturally "cool" good-guys.

That's something I really like about the awe-struck kids at the renfaire, when we're in full kit. Knights can be a real "bad-ass" and yet positive image. It really makes my day when kids respond well to it. It gives me some hope.
Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )

Corvus

• Forum Follower
« Reply #3 on: 2013-04-22, 19:58:01 »
Indeed, I think positive role-modelling is key

Lord Tristin

• Forum Member
  • Always strive to better yourself.
    • My facebook
« Reply #4 on: 2013-04-22, 23:15:24 »
Good Sir Corvus, I feel where your coming from. I myself have gone to many raves over the years,  I love to dance and have a good time, and have been known to imbibe alcohol on occasion. I personally believe drug use isn't any higher in this culture then any other, it is just sadly more accepted and not hidden. As far as Goth and "dark side" culture, I grew up around the Punk rock and Goth/Industrial scene, There were many depressed kids in that scene, but in my mind not much more than in the Jock or preppie etc. scenes. Selfishness and the "ME" attitude are certainly very prevalent in Youth today, but that is the same thing my parents said about my generation, and theirs about theirs. As far as Music is concerned their are some phenomenal bands out there right now, in country, folk, metal, rock, and electronic venues. I think the Kid you talked to was depressed, just as many teens are , form all generations.

On that note, I agree, the Selfish "me" attitude is too prevalent, in all generations. The younger generation does learn form their elders, and their elders really are not much better at being selfless. That is why Chivalry is needed now more than ever. I see and have met good honest forthright people from all walks of life and all cultures, I am proud of how positive some young people are, and sadness comes over me when I see a young person without hope, they have no idea how much potential they have. I will get off my soapbox now and let this be.

Corvus

• Forum Follower
« Reply #5 on: 2013-04-22, 23:32:50 »
Good thoughts, Tristin.

Indeed I see a lot of promise in the younger generations as well - its just that it does sadden me to think that for many there are no really positive role models available, or that some of these youth don't even bother seeking such.

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #6 on: 2013-04-23, 14:15:30 »

My worry is that the role-models may be going in the wrong direction in our culture. There has been a trend in the last few decades of glorifying violent criminals in stories, movies, games, and so on. The "bad guy with a heart of gold" image is a complete fabrication from Hollywood, but movies can be very influential and people start to think it's real.
Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )

Corvus

• Forum Follower
« Reply #7 on: 2013-04-23, 15:03:50 »
Oh yeah; the ones who go around becoming 'fans' of serial killers really get me. I really don't understand the motivations behind someone wanting to do that - except I suppose that in admiring a killer they are somehow acting contrary to mainstream values. Possibly an act of rebellion.

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #8 on: 2013-04-23, 16:54:43 »
My worry is that the role-models may be going in the wrong direction in our culture. There has been a trend in the last few decades of glorifying violent criminals in stories, movies, games, and so on. The "bad guy with a heart of gold" image is a complete fabrication from Hollywood, but movies can be very influential and people start to think it's real.

Agreed. And then you have the "idolizing idiots" group. Snooki as a role model? She has the morals of an otter (http://news.discovery.com/animals/the-other-side-of-otters.htm), and yet became a millionaire and best selling author - that's as much a question on the people who bought her book and why.

Study hard, work hard, behave well, and you may get a nice house when you're older (and a 30 year mortgage) just like your parents. Or act like a *censored* *beep* *bop* and become a millionaire before you're 30 and never have to work again.

I hate Hollywood for many reasons. :)
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent

B. Patricius

• Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Follower
  • just a brother knight
    • my pinterest - full of research
« Reply #9 on: 2013-04-24, 22:32:38 »
Study hard, work hard, behave well, and you may get a nice house when you're older (and a 30 year mortgage) just like your parents. Or act like a *censored* *beep* *bop* and become a millionaire before you're 30 and never have to work again.

I hate Hollywood for many reasons. :)

lol I definitely feel for that Sir James.  I also have to agree with everyone else on here.  I think it's the current times, and the people the youth decide to look up to.  There are plenty of good role models out there, but I think the biggest problem is the "working household."

I don't have a problem with both parents working, but I believe one should be home for the kids when they get off of work.  My dad, self-employed went to work at about 4am so he could be off by around 5 or so.  My mom, worked for him, doing PR for his company, and was home by 2.  I think the biggest problem is the parents, not the current generation of kids.  If the parents don't like something, they should then explain to their kids why.  They should spend time with them so they don't feel bad when they don't and then spoil them.

The "dark side" as Corvus put it, is alive a very well unfortunately.  The saddest part, I don't think it's the Goths and Vampires, but our mainstream media, TV, etc posing as stand-in babysitters for our youth.
"Be open with your thoughts, Be witty with your humor, Be kind with your words, Be sensible in your acts." - Lord Dane
Never theorize before you have data. Invariably, you end up twisting facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.
~Officium-Honestas-Sacrificium~
my facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/murphy.patrick.j

Sir Wolf

• He Who is Not to be Named
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
« Reply #10 on: 2013-04-25, 02:16:16 »
I wanna die by misadventure wanna go face down in some dudes pool!