Main > The Round Table

Death and the Warrior

<< < (2/2)

B. Patricius:
Wow, these are all really good. 

Lord Tristan I love how you discussed how fear can define a person's being.  Reminds me of a saying I heard in the Navy Sea Cadet Corps, "Courage isn't the absence of fear, but the ability to withstand and persevere through that fear."

Sir Edward, "the line" as you put it, is definitely a very subjective line I believe to each individual person.  I believe it's always worth the risk of death, to save another, regardless of how few, or how illustrious the job well done is publicized afterward.  But that's the risk, not a "guarantee of death" as you put it.  But for me, it would still be the same. 

For me, after thinking about this topic over the past weekend:
a warrior accepts that death is inevitable, and seeks to preserve life.  If a life must be taken, it is taken to preserve others' lives.  Warriors are defenders of life, protectors of the innocent and frail.  They accept death, knowing it can come at any moment, and truly live because they understand that every sunrise and every sunset is different and special, and that so is life.  It's not the dates on the grave that matter most, it is the dash in-between them that defines the person laid there.

Joshua Santana:
Death is something to be aware of and to be prepared for.  Death is not something to be feared or to be put as a goal. 

The idea is that Death is inevitable, but the manner of how to die is your own.  To die with Honor and for a Noble Cause has more value than any praise from the media or from the presses. 

The preservation of life is a given mission, if a warrior'Knight's death preserves the lives of others, how great is that than preserving your life at the expense of those who cannot defend themselves. 

This is not an admonition to go on suicidal missions, but rather to be prepared to face Death and to end it with the preservation of others before self.  Wisdom is essential, Courage must be resolute and knowing that those whom you save will honor your memory is more than enough.

Thorsteinn:
"Death smiles at us all, all a man can do is smile back."

"Death wears a thousand screaming faces, all of them yours."

"Hurry to meet Death, before your place is taken."

The above ideas are just some of many. Me personally I think this: It's inevitable, and without the chance for honorable death you cannot have the chance for honorable life.

Corvus:

--- Quote from: B. Patricius on 2013-04-24, 22:10:22 ---Wow, these are all really good. 

Lord Tristan I love how you discussed how fear can define a person's being.  Reminds me of a saying I heard in the Navy Sea Cadet Corps, "Courage isn't the absence of fear, but the ability to withstand and persevere through that fear."

Sir Edward, "the line" as you put it, is definitely a very subjective line I believe to each individual person.  I believe it's always worth the risk of death, to save another, regardless of how few, or how illustrious the job well done is publicized afterward.  But that's the risk, not a "guarantee of death" as you put it.  But for me, it would still be the same. 

For me, after thinking about this topic over the past weekend:
a warrior accepts that death is inevitable, and seeks to preserve life.  If a life must be taken, it is taken to preserve others' lives.  Warriors are defenders of life, protectors of the innocent and frail.  They accept death, knowing it can come at any moment, and truly live because they understand that every sunrise and every sunset is different and special, and that so is life.  It's not the dates on the grave that matter most, it is the dash in-between them that defines the person laid there.

--- End quote ---

Brother Patricius, I really liked that Sea Cadets quote you shared in your post. Whomever coined that phrase most definitely knew what he was talking about.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version