"We don't receive wisdom; we must discover it for ourselves after a journey (Quest?) that no one can take for us or spare us."
                -- Marcel Post (1871 - 1922)

Author Topic: Death and the Warrior  (Read 7228 times)

Corvus

• A wanderer on the road less traveled
  • Forum Follower
Death and the Warrior
« on: 2013-04-20, 18:44:04 »
What thoughts might there be here, concerning Death and the Warrior?

In the way I was taught, the Warrior must be ever mindful that life is limited in terms of time, so quality of life should be attended to. I was also taught that as a Warrior we must make death a constant companion so that when we find ourselves in grim situations we do not hesitate to act.

The great Samurai and mystic, Yamamoto Tsunetomo wrote:

“I have found that the Way of the samurai is death. This means that when you are compelled to choose between life and death, you must quickly choose death.”

And I found much wisdom in this, though I do not walk the way of the Samurai.
Other pieces of wisdom I have found on this subject are many, though there are a few quotes from old master teachers which I find invaluable.

The coward believes he will live forever
If he holds back in the battle.
But in old age he shall have no peace
Though spears have spared his limbs

-   Hávamál 16

“A person who lives with a fear of death or suffering is generally incapable of seeking the First Knowledge.”

-   Björn Hammarson

“One who walks the Warrior path should always be prepared for death – whether this is the death of others or his own death.”

-   Max Hyatt

Many years ago - even as a young man I leaned to make a kind of peace with death. I understood that to walk the scarlet road of the Warrior is to tread a line in the sand between fear and death. A True Warrior I think, in his heart desires peace yet he knows that freedom and peace are never free - they must be taken and kept safe, often by the force of arms.

I would be interested in hearing what the opinions of you fellows are with concern to the idea of the Warrior and death.

Regards

C

“Gæð a wyrd swa hio scel.”    - Beowulf

B. Patricius

• Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Follower
  • just a brother knight
    • my pinterest - full of research
Re: Death and the Warrior
« Reply #1 on: 2013-04-21, 10:18:30 »
Many years ago - even as a young man I leaned to make a kind of peace with death. I understood that to walk the scarlet road of the Warrior is to tread a line in the sand between fear and death. A True Warrior I think, in his heart desires peace yet he knows that freedom and peace are never free - they must be taken and kept safe, often by the force of arms.

wow, another good thread started Corvus!

I'm going to have to mull this one over for a proper response, just wanted to reply how I really enjoy this topic idea
"Be open with your thoughts, Be witty with your humor, Be kind with your words, Be sensible in your acts." - Lord Dane
Never theorize before you have data. Invariably, you end up twisting facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.
~Officium-Honestas-Sacrificium~
my facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/murphy.patrick.j

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #2 on: 2013-04-22, 13:49:24 »

Another interesting question along these lines is, where do you draw the line one what is a valuable sacrifice of your life? Clearly, if you could die to save the lives of millions, that is a very good choice. But it's also clear that to die to save someone from the irritation of a hangnail would not be good, and would be a complete waste.

Where do you draw the line? At what point does dying for the right cause, or saving a single life become the right choice, or a valuable choice? Or is it impossible to treat it like a math equation?

Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )

Corvus

• Forum Follower
« Reply #3 on: 2013-04-22, 14:58:50 »
Indeed, Sir Edward

That line in the sand is a fine one, which is yet another reason that a man should have defining principles and honor. I believe that when such is the case it will make such a decision less foggy.

Lord Tristin

• Forum Member
  • Always strive to better yourself.
    • My facebook
« Reply #4 on: 2013-04-23, 01:17:34 »
Fear is real, what you do with it defines you. A warrior recognizes that death can come at any time, by time or blade. Violence is inevitable, and will come at any moment, to accept this as part of life is not to be fearless, but to master your fear and control it. Know your fear, embrace it, let is wash over you. For in the moment of your darkest despair you will find that which is most elusive, yourself.

I didn't find myself until I was wallowing in hopelessness, my life was adrift and  I felt as if I had lost everything. With nowhere to go but down I pitied myself, until  I developed disgust for my pity, for myself. Sitting alone I realized that only I had control of my destiny. I could give up and let myself whither away or  I could become great. I chose to become great. Knowing your fear and owning it makes you a warrior, not being fearless. A warrior without fear is just someone who hasn't suffered yet. Suffering comes to us all, how you overcome it defines you as a warrior. A strong arm and a weak heart will get you killed, only by owning your self can you be strong in mind body and spirit.  I might post more about this in another thread.

B. Patricius

• Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Follower
  • just a brother knight
    • my pinterest - full of research
« Reply #5 on: 2013-04-24, 22:10:22 »
Wow, these are all really good. 

Lord Tristan I love how you discussed how fear can define a person's being.  Reminds me of a saying I heard in the Navy Sea Cadet Corps, "Courage isn't the absence of fear, but the ability to withstand and persevere through that fear."

Sir Edward, "the line" as you put it, is definitely a very subjective line I believe to each individual person.  I believe it's always worth the risk of death, to save another, regardless of how few, or how illustrious the job well done is publicized afterward.  But that's the risk, not a "guarantee of death" as you put it.  But for me, it would still be the same. 

For me, after thinking about this topic over the past weekend:
a warrior accepts that death is inevitable, and seeks to preserve life.  If a life must be taken, it is taken to preserve others' lives.  Warriors are defenders of life, protectors of the innocent and frail.  They accept death, knowing it can come at any moment, and truly live because they understand that every sunrise and every sunset is different and special, and that so is life.  It's not the dates on the grave that matter most, it is the dash in-between them that defines the person laid there.
"Be open with your thoughts, Be witty with your humor, Be kind with your words, Be sensible in your acts." - Lord Dane
Never theorize before you have data. Invariably, you end up twisting facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.
~Officium-Honestas-Sacrificium~
my facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/murphy.patrick.j

Joshua Santana

• Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Honorare scutum meum, veritas mea gladio
« Reply #6 on: 2013-05-06, 18:20:17 »
Death is something to be aware of and to be prepared for.  Death is not something to be feared or to be put as a goal. 

The idea is that Death is inevitable, but the manner of how to die is your own.  To die with Honor and for a Noble Cause has more value than any praise from the media or from the presses. 

The preservation of life is a given mission, if a warrior'Knight's death preserves the lives of others, how great is that than preserving your life at the expense of those who cannot defend themselves. 

This is not an admonition to go on suicidal missions, but rather to be prepared to face Death and to end it with the preservation of others before self.  Wisdom is essential, Courage must be resolute and knowing that those whom you save will honor your memory is more than enough.
Knight of The Lion Blade

Honora gladium meum, veritas mea, et Spirítui Sancto.  כדי לכבד המגן שלי, האמת שלי חרבי

Honor My Sword, Truth My Shield.

Thorsteinn

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #7 on: 2013-05-07, 19:07:07 »
"Death smiles at us all, all a man can do is smile back."

"Death wears a thousand screaming faces, all of them yours."

"Hurry to meet Death, before your place is taken."

The above ideas are just some of many. Me personally I think this: It's inevitable, and without the chance for honorable death you cannot have the chance for honorable life.
Fall down seven, get up eight.

Corvus

• Forum Follower
« Reply #8 on: 2013-05-21, 17:46:16 »
Wow, these are all really good. 

Lord Tristan I love how you discussed how fear can define a person's being.  Reminds me of a saying I heard in the Navy Sea Cadet Corps, "Courage isn't the absence of fear, but the ability to withstand and persevere through that fear."

Sir Edward, "the line" as you put it, is definitely a very subjective line I believe to each individual person.  I believe it's always worth the risk of death, to save another, regardless of how few, or how illustrious the job well done is publicized afterward.  But that's the risk, not a "guarantee of death" as you put it.  But for me, it would still be the same. 

For me, after thinking about this topic over the past weekend:
a warrior accepts that death is inevitable, and seeks to preserve life.  If a life must be taken, it is taken to preserve others' lives.  Warriors are defenders of life, protectors of the innocent and frail.  They accept death, knowing it can come at any moment, and truly live because they understand that every sunrise and every sunset is different and special, and that so is life.  It's not the dates on the grave that matter most, it is the dash in-between them that defines the person laid there.

Brother Patricius, I really liked that Sea Cadets quote you shared in your post. Whomever coined that phrase most definitely knew what he was talking about.