"I think that more Knights are made on the school-ground than on the battle field."
                ---Benjamin Disraeli

Author Topic: Warrior Codes  (Read 8401 times)

Corvus

• A wanderer on the road less traveled
  • Forum Follower
Warrior Codes
« on: 2013-04-18, 20:59:52 »
For those who have not seen this before, might I recommend an excellent, thought provoking article

http://isme.tamu.edu/JSCOPE02/French02.html
“Gæð a wyrd swa hio scel.”    - Beowulf

B. Patricius

• Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Follower
  • just a brother knight
    • my pinterest - full of research
Re: Warrior Codes
« Reply #1 on: 2013-04-19, 02:32:22 »
that is a good one Corvus.  I wish I had read that back when I was with the Navy Sea Cadet corps or even when I was in the military.  But, as always, even when we read something again, later in life, it always speaks to us differently.  That to me defines a good speech, dissertation, story, or whatever.  I read Alexander Dumas' unabridged "The Three Musketeers" and Cervantes' "Don Quixote" probably once every two years.  Each time, they speak something differently to me.  Here's a good speech to supplement what you linked.

http://www.au.af.mil/au/awc/awcgate/au-24/au24-352mac.htm

it spoke to me quite a lot when I was only 14 the first time I heard it.  I think it would benefit today's youth quite a bit if they had this in a freshman or sophomore english or history class.  Preferably in high school, but alas, I doubt it would happen.

*edited because of linky SNAFU
« Last Edit: 2013-04-19, 02:35:28 by B. Patricius »
"Be open with your thoughts, Be witty with your humor, Be kind with your words, Be sensible in your acts." - Lord Dane
Never theorize before you have data. Invariably, you end up twisting facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.
~Officium-Honestas-Sacrificium~
my facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/murphy.patrick.j

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #2 on: 2013-04-19, 03:36:05 »
I'll have to remember to come back and read these later. For some reason I have a habit of finding links to read late at night. :)
Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )

B. Patricius

• Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Follower
  • just a brother knight
« Reply #3 on: 2013-04-19, 04:12:05 »
Sir Edward,
I know how you feel.  Now, I just let my forums and research become my "read before I go to bed" routine.  Of course, sometimes, I loose track of time and it's daylight out!  :o
"Be open with your thoughts, Be witty with your humor, Be kind with your words, Be sensible in your acts." - Lord Dane
Never theorize before you have data. Invariably, you end up twisting facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.

Corvus

• Forum Follower
« Reply #4 on: 2013-04-19, 04:35:14 »
that is a good one Corvus.  I wish I had read that back when I was with the Navy Sea Cadet corps or even when I was in the military.  But, as always, even when we read something again, later in life, it always speaks to us differently.  That to me defines a good speech, dissertation, story, or whatever.  I read Alexander Dumas' unabridged "The Three Musketeers" and Cervantes' "Don Quixote" probably once every two years.  Each time, they speak something differently to me.  Here's a good speech to supplement what you linked.

http://www.au.af.mil/au/awc/awcgate/au-24/au24-352mac.htm

it spoke to me quite a lot when I was only 14 the first time I heard it.  I think it would benefit today's youth quite a bit if they had this in a freshman or sophomore english or history class.  Preferably in high school, but alas, I doubt it would happen.

*edited because of linky SNAFU

Very interesting read. Thanks

Joshua Santana

• Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Honorare scutum meum, veritas mea gladio
« Reply #5 on: 2013-04-19, 15:32:16 »
The first article is well written and makes very good points that are applicable to today Warrior Ethos.

The second article is a piece of History that no academic or "historian" can never erase from the records that the idea that the modern world abandoned the ideals of Chivalry is entirely false.  Thank you both Corvus and B. Patricius for sharing these articles!
Knight of The Lion Blade

Honora gladium meum, veritas mea, et SpirĂ­tui Sancto.  כדי לכבד המגן שלי, האמת שלי חרבי

Honor My Sword, Truth My Shield.

Corvus

• Forum Follower
« Reply #6 on: 2013-04-19, 18:38:45 »
I believe that Chivalry is still alive, albeit in small gatherings such as this one, and in the hearts of a more than a few who simply live it. It is my hope that it will grow - especially in these turbulent times we live in - because the world could certainly use it right now.

B. Patricius

• Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Follower
  • just a brother knight
« Reply #7 on: 2013-04-19, 19:26:42 »
I can personally attest that within the military community, and any and all who serve, be it clergy of any religion, first responders, SOCOM, etc... Chivalry is alive and well.  How do you think I found this forum?  :)

But I also firmly believe, those with chivalric values, don't go seeking attention.  We're just "doing our job" with "no regrets."

As a dear friend of mine, family, a brother in more ways than blood could ever replace

http://www.navy.mil/moh/monsoor/

and this

Chivalry is alive and well

just look at the heroes of Boston, Colorado, Virginia, the list can go on and on

and regardless of what anyone will say, President Bush, is MY President, my mentor, my friend.  And it is my honor to say so, and be able to say so, so publicly like here, in this group of fellow Chivalric men, regardless of age, past, ethnic origins, or even country.  It's an honor to be here.
« Last Edit: 2013-04-19, 19:29:27 by B. Patricius »

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #8 on: 2013-04-19, 19:40:26 »

Chivalry is very much alive, but mostly amongst people who don't call it that. With humility, I think a great deal of people simply want to do what is right, or considerate, or helpful.

As a recent example, there were many civilians (not just "first responders") who ran toward the danger during the Boston bombings this week. A selfless desire to aid others is still out there.

It's easy to assume that good and proper values have fallen by the wayside, but I think under the right conditions, we see good triumph, and people rise to the situation.

What is more rare, I think, are people who really think about this in advance, and make a conscious effort to be better people, one day at a time.
Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )

B. Patricius

• Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Follower
  • just a brother knight
« Reply #9 on: 2013-04-19, 20:05:57 »
What is more rare, I think, are people who really think about this in advance, and make a conscious effort to be better people, one day at a time.

that is a very good point Sir Edward.  :)  I always stick to what one of my teachers taught me as a kid "it only takes a small spark, to drown out the darkness."  He said this, in a pitch black room, and sparked a flint.

Ian

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #10 on: 2013-04-19, 21:04:16 »
Well of course that first article is good, the Prof who wrote it worked at the best school on the planet! ;)  I never took her class when I was there, but if I recall correctly, of the few philosophy classes offered at USNA, that one was the hardest to get in to (i.e. most popular).
« Last Edit: 2013-04-19, 21:04:48 by Ian »
My YouTube Channel - Knyght Errant
My Pinterest

Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum

B. Patricius

• Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Follower
  • just a brother knight
« Reply #11 on: 2013-04-20, 00:08:58 »
Well of course that first article is good, the Prof who wrote it worked at the best school on the planet! ;)  I never took her class when I was there, but if I recall correctly, of the few philosophy classes offered at USNA, that one was the hardest to get in to (i.e. most popular).

Even in jest Ian, you really show why you are here.  My biggest and only regret, not bothering to try and apply.  I only found out later I probably had a shot! Oh well, you live and learn.  And I can proudly say "I worked for a living" and don't regret any of it.