"Our own heart, and not other men's opinion, forms our true honor."
                -- Samuel Taylor Coleridge

Author Topic: WTB - 13th Century Stuff  (Read 46444 times)

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
Re: WTB - 13th Century Stuff
« Reply #60 on: 2013-04-29, 23:30:03 »
HOLY CRAP THEY ARE AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Seconded! You got a screaming deal on it. Finish off the second one anyway. It could be the start of a second kit, or just a swap piece. :)
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent

Sir Ulrich

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #61 on: 2013-04-30, 00:47:53 »
God thats a good deal for a gambeson. Might consider getting another for myself as well, without the mittens as I realized how impractical mittened hands are for the faire. You're around the same size as me width wise. What materials is the gambeson made from?

royalist89

• New Forum Member
« Reply #62 on: 2013-04-30, 07:15:27 »
All the kit was a screaming deal, and only required a little hand sewn modification, everything I'm wearing cost me £25 in total :)

The gambeson is made of very white linen and stuffed with cotton, yeah I like the idea of sliding my hands through slit leather palms so I can give the poor things a breather, doesn't sound like you can really do that with a full padded gambeson, also I'd find them too restricting.

A good look though if your just doing a sergeant impression, as its shown in the maciejowski bible

Sir Wolf

• He Who is Not to be Named
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
« Reply #63 on: 2013-05-01, 00:45:54 »
http://effigiesandbrasses.com/monuments/robert_de_vere/ those chausis are a perfect match for 1221 effigy!

royalist89

• New Forum Member
« Reply #64 on: 2013-05-01, 08:20:44 »
Cheers for that link Sir Wolf, they are a good match and wow what an invaluable source of reference!!

Next step is I'm going to have a crack at making my own scabbard that actually fits my new sword

ordered craft wood and a load of long leather offcuts all of which cost more than my actual softs!!

will keep posted!

B. Patricius

• Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Follower
  • just a brother knight
    • my pinterest - full of research
« Reply #65 on: 2013-05-01, 20:45:47 »
What amazing deals you have found Royalist! That aketon and cuisses look great!

I'll also second Effigies and Brasses, it, and its sister-site http://manuscriptminiatures.com are invaluable resources for getting the look right. 

I'm also jealous of your sword and your sugarloaf.  I too, am too early of a period for such a helm, but they do hold a special place in my heart as well.  Your sword looks excellent, practical and very hearty.  What's the point of balance on that?  Looks like a dream to fight with.
"Be open with your thoughts, Be witty with your humor, Be kind with your words, Be sensible in your acts." - Lord Dane
Never theorize before you have data. Invariably, you end up twisting facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.
~Officium-Honestas-Sacrificium~
my facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/murphy.patrick.j

royalist89

• New Forum Member
« Reply #66 on: 2013-05-02, 19:27:06 »
Thanks guys appreciate the feedback, Im popping to the Old Hall in Gainsborough Sunday to get my maille tailored a bit. I'm having the hauberk extended, the coif integrated and an aventail added, the mittens are going to be rounded off and then have the palms removed so I can sew some leather palms into the maille.

Got a bag of offcuts this morning so will attempt to make a scabbard to fit when the wood arrives!

Thanks for the sword praise Patricius, funnily enough its just like a pavel moc falchion I used to own when I did Wars of the Roses, that burred like knives hitting butter every time I used it while this one can take more of a beating, Wouldn't say its extremely balanced but its light and being a previous fencer I love light swords over heavy metal poles!

B. Patricius

• Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Follower
  • just a brother knight
« Reply #67 on: 2013-05-02, 20:28:37 »
Royalist,

I know how you feel.  Weight for me is secondary to the balance and feel.  I have quite a few different swords, two of which definitely don't qualify as light-weights, but feel great in my hand.  I love that about swords, once the quality of steel is covered, it's all in the eyes of the holder.  ;)  I just can't seem to purchase a couple swords I want because I've only found them online, I just gotta feel her, ya know?

Also, there's a pic on flikr that is an amazing shot of period mittens:

hope that helps
"Be open with your thoughts, Be witty with your humor, Be kind with your words, Be sensible in your acts." - Lord Dane
Never theorize before you have data. Invariably, you end up twisting facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.

royalist89

• New Forum Member
« Reply #68 on: 2013-05-10, 06:05:55 »
Thanks man, thats great! I'll use that as a reference for when I attach my mittens!

Been a bit quiet but been quite busy too, bought a DSA project sword thats stunning but the scabbard can't be used :( as my sword doesn't fit! So thats for sale too its more 14th Century I think

My Maciejowski Helmet is ready and I've painted my shield with my coat of arms! I drew it free hand and then improvised with heavy layers of paint.

I've made my own scabbard for my sword which is awesome, now just got to do the hard part of attaching the leather!!

royalist89

• New Forum Member
« Reply #69 on: 2013-05-10, 06:06:52 »
Heres the scabbard I made and painted shield

B. Patricius

• Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Follower
  • just a brother knight
« Reply #70 on: 2013-05-10, 07:04:46 »
Royalist,

that's a great looking scabbard and shield!  Here's a great resource I've found for scabbard making, hope it helps: http://yeoldegaffers.com/project_scabbard.asp

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #71 on: 2013-05-10, 14:24:37 »
The shield came out well and the scabbard is coming along nicely. Congrats.
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent

royalist89

• New Forum Member
« Reply #72 on: 2013-05-25, 08:40:45 »
Finished the scabbard  painted the helmet, still waiting on the maille to be tailored.... kit so far. Ive been looking at the maciejowski and yes they are all different colours as in the middle ages they dont have the same colour co-ordination concept we have today. Regardless though based on few English manuscripts of the era they seem to be a bit more co-ordinated so I thought white and red all the way baby!!

Lord Dane

• The Hound, Hunter, and Hammer of Justice
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Selflessness, Service, Justice.
« Reply #73 on: 2013-05-25, 11:34:24 »
Looks good. :) Nice work!!
"Fides, Honos, Prudentia, Sapiencia" (Faith, Honor, Prudence, Wisdom)
"Fiat justitia ruat caelum" (Let justice be done)

Ian

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #74 on: 2013-05-25, 12:10:32 »
I really love the painted helmet. It looks amazing! Great job. I'm happy to see more and more painted armor.
My YouTube Channel - Knyght Errant
My Pinterest

Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum