"Success is never final. Failure is never fatal. It is courage that counts."
                -- Winston Churchill

Author Topic: WTB - 13th Century Stuff  (Read 45919 times)

royalist89

• New Forum Member
WTB - 13th Century Stuff
« on: 2013-04-09, 16:45:23 »
Hi fellow knights and enthusiasts!

I'm new to the forum, but I'm trying to put a 13th century impression together for re-enactment. I'm not far off I just need a couple of things to finish the whole thing!

If you have anything like it kicking around in the shed or gathering dust or if you know someone who does then please p.m me!

I need a gambeson suitable for 13th century for a 40" chest and I also need a great helm or a transitional helm which is similar that isn't huge!

In an ideal world I would love a maciejowski, but im struggling to find an affordable one that isn't massive, sadly the GDFB one turned out to be!

Kind Regards, Dave

Thorsteinn

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
Re: WTB - 13th Century Stuff
« Reply #1 on: 2013-04-09, 17:44:18 »
Have you checked out Icefalcon Armoury, Historic Enterprises, Clang Armoury, or Gambesons.com?
Fall down seven, get up eight.

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #2 on: 2013-04-09, 18:04:13 »

It's a little pricey, but you can get a mac-bible helm properly fitted to you from by-the-sword here:

http://www.bytheswordinc.com/p-4020-great-helm-french-md-306.aspx

I have this one, and really like it.

Me, wearing it:

Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #3 on: 2013-04-09, 19:01:34 »
I actually have a gambeson that might suit you; I'll take pics of it tonight- but it is sized for a 40" chest (I'm a 42", and it is just a tad tight).  Is this for SCA or other form of re-enactment, like Living History or WMA?
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #4 on: 2013-04-09, 19:11:38 »
Welcome to the forum!
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent

royalist89

• New Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: 2013-04-09, 22:06:45 »
Thanks for the welcome guys!!

Wow you look awesome sir edward! thanks sir william its for re-enactment, not going to be terribly upset if it isn't super thick though! thankyou thorsteinn, I've been drooling over the things available from those websites but sadly I'm working to a budget (as is the case with everyone I imagine)

I'll post the photo of me in the current helm I have which is big heavy and hurts my head! mainly because I am so skinny it doesn't suit!

I've also been so enthusiastic about this project I made my own 100% linen surcoat with my own coat of arms (Fairey) (modified to incorporate the finnish lions armoured arm in it) sewed the lions on by hand, took forever!

Sir Wolf

• He Who is Not to be Named
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
« Reply #6 on: 2013-04-09, 22:20:32 »
dude cool. welcome to the board. are you looking up or do you have a really long face? lol that is a heavy helmet. 14 guage steel. blahhh... so just sell it and lets try to find you a better one.

what about mail do you have any yet>? lets find you some of that!
how about regular clothing, what we call a soft kit?

lets spend all your money!!!!!

oh and i hate all these really skinny guys lol! jk

royalist89

• New Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: 2013-04-09, 22:35:33 »
Thanks Sir Wolf, its the helmet! its gone, a potential buyer is taking it this weekend.

maille I have blown most of my cash on a 9mm flat ring riveted hauberk with attached mittens onto the sleeves and a coif.

Soft kit, I've got some melton wool split hose made to fit with linen braies and some basic turned shoes. Need a shirt next!

Sir Wolf

• He Who is Not to be Named
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
« Reply #8 on: 2013-04-09, 22:40:14 »
hey great. thats awesome.

oh and word to the wise, if you don't have pictures of said goodies they are forfeit and there for MINE! lol jk... well maybe not

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #9 on: 2013-04-10, 01:49:19 »

Heh, yeah, expect to be razzed about not posting pictures, if you forget to do so. LOL :)

Looks like a great start. I remember when I was that skinny, the armor never seemed to sit right for me either.
Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )

Lord Dane

• The Hound, Hunter, and Hammer of Justice
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Selflessness, Service, Justice.
« Reply #10 on: 2013-04-10, 06:37:09 »
Ok. Let us start your shopping experience by getting you some food so you can fit in the armor. A hardy knight is a happy knight :)
"Fides, Honos, Prudentia, Sapiencia" (Faith, Honor, Prudence, Wisdom)
"Fiat justitia ruat caelum" (Let justice be done)

royalist89

• New Forum Member
« Reply #11 on: 2013-04-10, 10:44:59 »
Haha I'll bulk up with a good gambeson and with my maille on me rest assured and then backed up with a helmet that actually fits....

right will get some photos on here of other kit later, maille is to arrive on monday.. I actually can't wait

I'll show you guys my coat of arms design first.

I researched the family history (unfortunate name i know) originally thought to be scottish then it turned out to actually be northumbrian clan, I changed the lions from scottish ones to English style rampant to accomodate then because the mrs is a finn and they don't have heraldry as such, thought it would be nice for the kids to have a bit of that on there so I stole the arm off the finn lion and changed it so my lions we're not stabbing themselves in the head!! some painful hours of drawing an outline via copying and sewing by hand ... applique style... linen is a pain! and todahhhh finished basic surcoat.

any luck with gambeson Sir william?

Lord Dane

• The Hound, Hunter, and Hammer of Justice
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Selflessness, Service, Justice.
« Reply #12 on: 2013-04-10, 11:42:46 »
Will make for an interesting signet and blazon I would think. Nice work. Northumbrian heritage?? Very cool.
"Fides, Honos, Prudentia, Sapiencia" (Faith, Honor, Prudence, Wisdom)
"Fiat justitia ruat caelum" (Let justice be done)

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #13 on: 2013-04-10, 14:33:50 »
royalist, keep an eye on Sir Wolf over there...you should check out his Knight page here on the site when you have the time and you will see, it runs especially deep in him.

At times I have to turn a blind eye, otherwise I'd be perpetually broke (sorta like now, but worse lol)!
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€

Thorsteinn

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #14 on: 2013-04-10, 19:56:08 »
If you are inclined you can make a gambeson. Mine is a 3 layer 100% linen with cotton thread. Ran about $85 in materials some 4 years back. Best piece of kit I've ever owned.

I used the Basic Armoring PDF and the one from White Mountain Armory to make the design.

http://www.brighthelm.org/articles/armour
http://whitemountainarmoury.com/pdfs/armingCoat.pdf

Fall down seven, get up eight.