"Chivalry is itself the poetry of life."
      -- Schlegel, Philosophy of History

Author Topic: while the cat's away...  (Read 14713 times)

SirNathanQ

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • "Nobiscum Deus" "Libertas ad omnes civitates"
Re: while the cat's away...
« Reply #30 on: 2013-04-13, 13:43:01 »
Yay, a duel!  ;D
"The maximum use of force is in no way incompatible with the simultaneous use of the intellect." -Carl Von Clausewitz
"He is truly a fearless knight and secure on every side, for his soul is protected by the armor of faith just as his body is protected by armor of steel." -Saint Bernard of Clairvoux

Sir Wolf

• He Who is Not to be Named
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
« Reply #31 on: 2013-04-13, 14:06:58 »
a path a path... no wait a duel a duel

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #32 on: 2013-04-13, 15:35:17 »
Also how dare you accuse me of chocolate milk thievery! This is outrage!  :o

Yes well your indignation is quite understandable and there is no other recourse, you gentlemen will just have to duel it out because the second best thing to actually being in a good duel is watching a good duel! ;)

A duel? What kind of duel?

A duel to the fingernail!

To the what?

To the fingernail! Whomever first loses a fingernail, shall also lose the duel! Now, have at you!

:D
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent

Sir Vander Linde

• Forum Follower
  • Protokoll....
« Reply #33 on: 2013-04-13, 15:44:29 »
Lake Peipus wasn't against pagans, it was against Novgorod. Also there were like only 40 Knights actually there (it was a force marshaled by the local Bishop) and it was outnumbered 3-1, with most of it's forces composed of native levys of doubtful quality, all fighting on the ice. I would hope in those circumstances, Novgorod's greatest hero could pull off a victory...

And I reenact the 14th century, you just see how taking Teutonic land works out for you  ;)

Sir William, the Grosskomtur (Grand commander) was the 2nd highest rank in the Teutonic Order, directly below that of Hochmiester.

Sir, you guys decided to attack the Novgorod Republic after Swedish forces weakened their forces on a different front. The people of the Novgorod were pagan & Eastern Orthodox Christians. True you only had more than 400 T. knights & around 4,000 Chud warrior/knights were accompanying them.  Making the difference if number between the opposing forces around 2,000. Lucky you guys did not suffer many casualties, we did however lose the day.
(I mean my people died there with your guys fighting against them to take Novgorod. The alliance between Denmark, Sweden, and the Teutonic Order in1238 served my name well, as we acquired titles in Teutonic lands &/or land that were once Teutonic.)

Also thievery of chocolate milk  :o shame on you… (I will admit to have done this. ;D)

Lord Dane

• The Hound, Hunter, and Hammer of Justice
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Selflessness, Service, Justice.
« Reply #34 on: 2013-04-13, 18:01:55 »
A duel you say!?!? It's on!!! Hammer time is fast approaching Sir Nathan. So I hope you got enough chocolate milk in you. I so dislike beating a malnourished knight. :P I'll keep the 'Butter-nubs' in reserve in case you collapse.  ;D
"Fides, Honos, Prudentia, Sapiencia" (Faith, Honor, Prudence, Wisdom)
"Fiat justitia ruat caelum" (Let justice be done)

Sir Wolf

• He Who is Not to be Named
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
« Reply #35 on: 2013-04-13, 18:04:12 »
should their be a proxy? a second? lol Gallaghers against Potomac farms?

Lord Dane

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #36 on: 2013-04-13, 18:10:58 »
should their be a proxy? a second? lol Gallaghers against Potomac farms?

I already landed 'Hood' & 'Garelick Farms' as sponsors for the regalia event. 'Nestle's Quik' was going to hook you up Sir Nathan but they heard about your dishonest endeavors and could not be associated with such an un-knightly scandal.  :P
« Last Edit: 2013-04-14, 03:10:49 by Lord Dane »

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #37 on: 2013-04-14, 02:18:50 »

A duel! Or several!

Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )

Lord Dane

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #38 on: 2013-04-14, 03:21:33 »
Funny!! :)

SirNathanQ

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #39 on: 2013-04-14, 06:05:56 »
Lake Peipus wasn't against pagans, it was against Novgorod. Also there were like only 40 Knights actually there (it was a force marshaled by the local Bishop) and it was outnumbered 3-1, with most of it's forces composed of native levys of doubtful quality, all fighting on the ice. I would hope in those circumstances, Novgorod's greatest hero could pull off a victory...

And I reenact the 14th century, you just see how taking Teutonic land works out for you  ;)

Sir William, the Grosskomtur (Grand commander) was the 2nd highest rank in the Teutonic Order, directly below that of Hochmiester.

Sir, you guys decided to attack the Novgorod Republic after Swedish forces weakened their forces on a different front. The people of the Novgorod were pagan & Eastern Orthodox Christians. True you only had more than 400 T. knights & around 4,000 Chud warrior/knights were accompanying them.  Making the difference if number between the opposing forces around 2,000. Lucky you guys did not suffer many casualties, we did however lose the day.
(I mean my people died there with your guys fighting against them to take Novgorod. The alliance between Denmark, Sweden, and the Teutonic Order in1238 served my name well, as we acquired titles in Teutonic lands &/or land that were once Teutonic.)

Also thievery of chocolate milk  :o shame on you… (I will admit to have done this. ;D)

Most estimates put the forces at 2000 vs 6000, in Novgorod's favor.
I highly doubt there could have been 400 Teutonic Knights at Lake Peipus, considering the number of Knights never exceeded about 800 or so. You perhaps mean the total Teutonic forces. Also we didn't just decide to attack, Bishop Hermann of Estonia took a levy in pursuit of Nevsky's forces when they turned and offered battle.   

Also while Novgorod employed Pagans, itself as a state wasn't Pagan but Orthodox. 

And yes, that is the early half of the 13th century. We were barely established in the Baltic at that point. In the 14th century, even acquiring lands from the Ordenstaat via political machinations like you mentioned would be difficult. The saying throughout Europe was "If you think you're so clever, go deceive the Lords of Prussia!"

ALLEGED chocolate milk thievery  ;) 

And Lord Dane, I doubt your hammer time can approach faster than my sword, or as far as my spear.  8)
"The maximum use of force is in no way incompatible with the simultaneous use of the intellect." -Carl Von Clausewitz
"He is truly a fearless knight and secure on every side, for his soul is protected by the armor of faith just as his body is protected by armor of steel." -Saint Bernard of Clairvoux

Lord Dane

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #40 on: 2013-04-14, 06:25:16 »
Nothing alleged. I have good sources. :)
And only thing you have in "speed and reach" is from being able to take extra lunch money from the parents without their knowledge. Maybe the thieves guild has a place for you. :P

SirNathanQ

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #41 on: 2013-04-14, 13:33:00 »
We'll see how well the philosophy of ignoring the opponent's weapons will serve you in combat, Lord Dane...

Lord Dane

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #42 on: 2013-04-14, 15:31:58 »
We'll see how well the philosophy of ignoring the opponent's weapons will serve you in combat, Lord Dane...

Will serve me like a wench in a tavern; or a whore in a brothel. :P Which is to say, with a drink in hand & to my satisfaction. LOL Bring it on!!!!  8) I'll have chocolate covered 'Butter-nubs' YUM YUM to distract your focus and a longsword for the trimmings.  ;)

This is going to be fun, Sir Nathan. I'll bring you a complimentary gift should you land first steel. ** Oh good news too!! ** ATTN: Thorsteinn. Meeting with the USA BOTN Team May 18, 19 weekend for some full-armored SCA demos in Barony of the Bridge (Johnston, RI). Should be a good turn out. I'll get some pics. :) :) 
« Last Edit: 2013-04-15, 13:17:44 by Lord Dane »

Lord Dane

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #43 on: 2013-04-15, 13:22:36 »

Yes well your indignation is quite understandable and there is no other recourse, you gentlemen will just have to duel it out because the second best thing to actually being in a good duel is watching a good duel! ;)

It's only fair that Sir Brian be given the best seat in the house for this event. :) He gets to Marshall. ;)
« Last Edit: 2013-04-15, 13:23:54 by Lord Dane »

Lord Dane

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #44 on: 2013-04-15, 13:28:01 »
Yay, a duel!  ;D

YES YES!!! a Duel. Longsword, or quarterstaff??  ;D