"Mistakes are always forgivable, if one has the courage to admit them."
                -- Bruce Lee

Author Topic: SCA Culture Question  (Read 43622 times)

Lord Ciaran

• New Forum Member
Re: SCA Culture Question
« Reply #15 on: 2013-05-11, 20:57:32 »
SCA culture is always in flux. I think that is part of the appeal. Earlier observations of being "trendy" are probably the most correct. So when "Braveheart" came out, all of the sudden kilts were everywhere. Pirates of the Caribean came out , so lots of pirate types, which also came at the same time "period fencing" in the SCA really took off. Recently with History's "Vikings" , I expect a whole new crop of vikings will show up. Sadly they will look like the hells angels vikings from the show. People see a movie and want to be the guy in the movie. They go to SCA because of that . They can be a scottiish lord, pirate, viking, or William Marshal(don't we all wish this movie would come out).

They seem to like the eastern stuff because it is different. Typically these people come to SCA to be different ,to be who they really are in a place where being different is
 the norm.Personally I think the italian city states would be the way I would go. They get the best of the east and west.
The Rus thing really is that whole philosophy. They get the viking with the Byzantine and the turk/mongel. There are lots of resources for lamelar now . It is cheap, easy and looks cool. 20 years ago lamelar was rare and so were the rus.

B. Patricius

• Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Follower
  • just a brother knight
    • my pinterest - full of research
« Reply #16 on: 2013-05-11, 23:37:45 »
I'm actually surprised the Italian City-states concept didn't take off with the gamer crowd within the SCA.  After Assassin's Creed II and so on, I thought that would have permeated through the renaissance/rapier community.  I know it has inspired my renaissance kit quite a bit.
"Be open with your thoughts, Be witty with your humor, Be kind with your words, Be sensible in your acts." - Lord Dane
Never theorize before you have data. Invariably, you end up twisting facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.
~Officium-Honestas-Sacrificium~
my facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/murphy.patrick.j

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #17 on: 2013-05-13, 16:00:17 »
Those kits from AC aren't cheap, despite being Windlass made.  I flirted with doing an assassin persona but they don't wear any armor (well,bracers, pauldron and greaves- a BP if you go into AC2, Brotherhood and Revelations) - and what they do wear is quite ornate; but what is available is rather cheaply made - polyurethane mostly.
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.”

Corvus

• A wanderer on the road less traveled
  • Forum Follower
« Reply #18 on: 2013-05-13, 16:10:25 »
I remember a time - not all that long ago - when there was a bit of debate in the SCA as to whether Native American personae (in the appropriate SCA time periods) should be allowed since at the beginning there wasn't much in the rules actually forbidding such things. Ultimately it fell flat, but I recall thinking: 'Man, if you want to go with LIGHT protection in battle the Native way would have been it' :)
“Gæð a wyrd swa hio scel.”    - Beowulf

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #19 on: 2013-05-13, 17:42:07 »
Those kits from AC aren't cheap, despite being Windlass made.  I flirted with doing an assassin persona but they don't wear any armor (well,bracers, pauldron and greaves- a BP if you go into AC2, Brotherhood and Revelations) - and what they do wear is quite ornate; but what is available is rather cheaply made - polyurethane mostly.

Not cheap indeed.. the full Ezio outfit was around $2,000 when I looked. Haven't looked again because of the shock.
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent

Lord Dane

• The Hound, Hunter, and Hammer of Justice
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Selflessness, Service, Justice.
« Reply #20 on: 2013-05-13, 18:01:50 »

Not cheap indeed.. the full Ezio outfit was around $2,000 when I looked. Haven't looked again because of the shock.

Just do a Ranger outfit. Much cheaper & looks just as good to me. I'm wearing mine to NHRF on Sunday. :)
"Fides, Honos, Prudentia, Sapiencia" (Faith, Honor, Prudence, Wisdom)
"Fiat justitia ruat caelum" (Let justice be done)

Lord Ciaran

• New Forum Member
« Reply #21 on: 2013-05-13, 19:40:21 »
I had not even thought of Assassins creed when i made the post. My son(14 years old) had my wife make him his AC costume about two years ago. It came out really well.He was looking at the MR versions and there was no way I spending that much for his costume.Yeah I could image going to 12th night with a dozen guys all dressed as Enzio.

I meant mostly that the Italian city states offer more flexability than about anywhere else in europe.

As far as the native American idea, I saw a guy dressed like that about 15-16 yeasr ago at Astrella. He had minimum armor and his kit looked awesome. I just kept thinking how painful it must be to fight in that. 

I don't think there should be an issue with it. People dress as Japaneese, Chineese , why not native American? I've seen really cool greek kits from 300-500 bc on the field.Again the SCA is pretty free form.

Lord Chagatai

• Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Follower
« Reply #22 on: 2013-05-14, 00:22:11 »
I remember a time - not all that long ago - when there was a bit of debate in the SCA as to whether Native American personae (in the appropriate SCA time periods) should be allowed since at the beginning there wasn't much in the rules actually forbidding such things. Ultimately it fell flat, but I recall thinking: 'Man, if you want to go with LIGHT protection in battle the Native way would have been it' :)

In the outlands we have a Knight named Sir Otakte (sp) that is Native/Aztecan descent in the SCA time period and his armor is minimal but awesome...just a thought

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

B. Patricius

• Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Follower
  • just a brother knight
« Reply #23 on: 2013-05-14, 03:36:00 »

Sir William, and Sir James, with all due respect,

That depends, it all depends on what a person is willing to do as far as man-hours, just like anything else with re-enactment.  The most I've ever spent on garb was $48 on six yards of gorgeous green upholstery fabric with a pinstriped jacquard.  It's not a period garment because of the material, but beyond that, it's amazing and looks totally 1660s justacorps with my matching vest and trousers.  Same with all my friends that do cosplay... epic kits for maybe $200.

Beyond that, I have a friend who is custom commissioning from an armorer Ezio's armor pieces for cut and thrust combat.  Needless to say the armorer is a bit daunted, but he's excited as all get-out too!  ;D

me in my Jedi-

- experience: proud member of the 405th, 501st, Rebel Legion, Mandalorian Mercs, and Assassin's Creed Costumer's guild  ;)  we make our kits, I haven't been able to finish mine because I'm working on this medieval stuff, history is more interesting.  I do have my jedi though

Also, be on the lookout here boys  8)
My templar is almost done, basically years of weaving mail is about all I have left for that kit
then,
on to my 15th, 16th, and 17th century "Spanish" kits ;) and THAT is heavily influenced by Assassin's Creed's Ezio.

beyond that, all of my costuming buddies like to look at their massive 48" HDMI 1080p game screens, then check out that "expensive" stuff, make fun of its inaccuracies either from in-game or historical, like Ezio's Altair outfit, it obviously has slashed sleeves but don't look it in any game, and then talk, plan, and plot "how do I make it better, more accurate to the game and history, and for a tenth the price!"
« Last Edit: 2013-05-14, 03:47:32 by B. Patricius »
"Be open with your thoughts, Be witty with your humor, Be kind with your words, Be sensible in your acts." - Lord Dane
Never theorize before you have data. Invariably, you end up twisting facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #24 on: 2013-05-14, 12:25:33 »

That depends, it all depends on what a person is willing to do as far as man-hours, just like anything else with re-enactment.  The most I've ever spent on garb was $48 on six yards of gorgeous green upholstery fabric with a pinstriped jacquard.  It's not a period garment because of the material, but beyond that, it's amazing and looks totally 1660s justacorps with my matching vest and trousers.  Same with all my friends that do cosplay... epic kits for maybe $200.

Oh, agreed it's reasonable if you do it on your own. Sticker shock is on the actual licensed replicas from Windlass. I have the Robert de Sable surcoat, William of Montferrat, and Lionheart gambeson. I've really wanted an Assassin's Creed kit for many years, but I can't bring myself to drop $2k on "soft" kit; that's serious Albion/armor money.

I've beaten all the AC console games. It is probably my favorite games series of all time, and I've been playing games since Atari/Intellivision back in the 80s. There's nothing like chuckin' a spear at a rooftop guard in Brotherhood and watching them fly. Oh, I also, umm, have the Assassin's Creed logos on both sides of my car. :D

Oh

My

Goodness

I love both of these!! Especially the Altair style kit - "classic" Assassin. Very cool. Are there any more pictures? Would like to see the front too.
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent

SirNathanQ

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • "Nobiscum Deus" "Libertas ad omnes civitates"
« Reply #25 on: 2013-05-14, 13:18:12 »
I'm a big Assassin's Creed fan too. Those are just beautiful.  :o
"The maximum use of force is in no way incompatible with the simultaneous use of the intellect." -Carl Von Clausewitz
"He is truly a fearless knight and secure on every side, for his soul is protected by the armor of faith just as his body is protected by armor of steel." -Saint Bernard of Clairvoux

Lord Dane

• The Hound, Hunter, and Hammer of Justice
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Selflessness, Service, Justice.
« Reply #26 on: 2013-05-14, 13:36:40 »
Agreed. Look fantastic.
"Fides, Honos, Prudentia, Sapiencia" (Faith, Honor, Prudence, Wisdom)
"Fiat justitia ruat caelum" (Let justice be done)

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #27 on: 2013-05-14, 13:56:40 »
Just do a Ranger outfit. Much cheaper & looks just as good to me. I'm wearing mine to NHRF on Sunday. :)

I've seen your Ranger outfit, it does look cool- but not AC cool.  ;)

B. Patricius, with all due respect...if I had the talent and inclination; only I don't.  No time, or rather, no time I'd like to spend sewing or what have you- not if it is available elsewhere and not cost an arm and a leg.  I'm with Sir James...the sticker shock stopped me cold.  The Altair ensemble is marginally cheaper, but so're the costume bits like the bracers, glove (altho I understand the boots w/gaiters are particularly well made, they wanted way too much for them), the wire-framed hood...the pics you posted look fantastic, especially the Ezio and Altair costumes.
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.”

Corvus

• A wanderer on the road less traveled
  • Forum Follower
« Reply #28 on: 2013-05-15, 00:03:34 »

Oh, agreed it's reasonable if you do it on your own. Sticker shock is on the actual licensed replicas from Windlass. I have the Robert de Sable surcoat, William of Montferrat, and Lionheart gambeson. I've really wanted an Assassin's Creed kit for many years, but I can't bring myself to drop $2k on "soft" kit; that's serious Albion/armor money.

I've beaten all the AC console games. It is probably my favorite games series of all time, and I've been playing games since Atari/Intellivision back in the 80s. There's nothing like chuckin' a spear at a rooftop guard in Brotherhood and watching them fly. Oh, I also, umm, have the Assassin's Creed logos on both sides of my car. :D

Oh

My

Goodness

I love both of these!! Especially the Altair style kit - "classic" Assassin. Very cool. Are there any more pictures? Would like to see the front too.

Those costumes are gorgeous. I love the SPARTAN kit too - very well done
“Gæð a wyrd swa hio scel.”    - Beowulf

B. Patricius

• Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Follower
  • just a brother knight
« Reply #29 on: 2013-05-15, 06:07:35 »
 ;D love the enthusiasm

I have separated this talk to another thread:
http://modernchivalry.org/forum/index.php/topic,2489.0.html feel like it's going into garb and garb inspiration specific rather than SCA Culture  ;D

OK, so I'm going to go with easiest first, followed by more detailed answers for everyone

First, Corvus, and all those admirers of LilTyrant's Kat build from Halo: Reach:
http://www.405th.com/forum/armor-uniform-and-prop-making/elite-showcase/36670-kat-armor-build-with-custom-undersuit?s=e0bac2bb516600f72ada5eb4fddb1891 and my God, it gets sexier ;)
also, she does an excellent job of showing and instructing on all the skills required for making such armor, it's amazing. 

Now on to the little bit more involved:
Assassin's Creed outfits, GOOD ones, without the sword, can be made for under $200 with believe me (I know, I'm a novice sewer - 1 garment made!) simple sewing and very good guide to get it done:
http://www.assassinscostume.com/altair/ the best news, he has Youtube tutorials for every piece

it's really not that difficult guys, and please by all means, Windlass' kits on these things are just as cheap and not accurate as anything else they make.  We all know Windlass, they're close, but they're no Albion  ;) I know a swordsmith that would make a custom Syrian Sword, Shiavonna (Ezio), or Altair's Eagle sword in a heartbeat and get it done NICE.  We all do.  Spend the money there, the rest is actually easy with good tricks and such.

A little leather craft, a little foamies, a little elmer's glue, a TON of time, and these dreams can be realities.  Live the dream, isn't that why we're here after all? 

As for garb, any and all questions related, I'm more than happy to assist.  I'm new to sewing, but I do make my own patterns.  My first try at that was that Jedi outfit.  All based on movie publicity photos and "what should work."  I was honored by the RebelLegion with a "best real-life interpretation" award.  I don't know if that award is even "real" per se, and I don't care, it was great to be appreciated for the work involved and my mom (my seamstress at the time) was in tears of joy.  It's worth it, and it can be a ton of fun.  And now, versus 15 years ago, we have great communities to work on them with.
« Last Edit: 2013-05-15, 07:14:42 by B. Patricius »