Main > The Round Table

New Heraldry

<< < (9/15) > >>

Corvus:
Very nice!  I have seen some really cool looking coats-of-arms on this forum. Are these all drawn up by hand using photoshop, or is there some kind of software you are using to assist in the application of the graphics?

Sir Edward:

A combination of the two. One of the better programs for basic heraldry is this one:

http://inkwellideas.com/coat_of_arms/

We've standardized on that one for the roll-of-arms on the website. What it doesn't do, and I really wish it did, is sections other than straight lines... such as embattled, wavy, and so on. Blazon95 does those, but it's really terrible in other ways.

So usually I'll start with COA Design Studio, and then do whatever alterations are needed in Photoshop.

Sir Brian:

--- Quote from: James Anderson III on 2013-04-18, 15:42:12 ---
--- Quote from: Lord Dane on 2013-04-17, 21:29:33 ---Ok. Here is my final revision of my Coat of Arms. I like this as my final. Thoughts??

--- End quote ---

I like it better without the lower lines, but just my 0.02 worth

--- End quote ---

Ditto. - I think the additional lines makes it a bit 'busy'.

--- Quote from: Sir Wolf on 2013-04-17, 22:13:32 ---cool, have fun painting it on a shield ;)
--- End quote ---

and Ditto!  ;)

Lord Chagatai:
I don't like the lines either...when I was taught about heraldry I was taught to keep it simple because people are going to have to replicate it...the simpler the easier (and less expensive) it is for someone to replicate it..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Corvus:

--- Quote from: Sir Edward on 2013-04-18, 17:14:05 ---
A combination of the two. One of the better programs for basic heraldry is this one:

http://inkwellideas.com/coat_of_arms/

We've standardized on that one for the roll-of-arms on the website. What it doesn't do, and I really wish it did, is sections other than straight lines... such as embattled, wavy, and so on. Blazon95 does those, but it's really terrible in other ways.

So usually I'll start with COA Design Studio, and then do whatever alterations are needed in Photoshop.

--- End quote ---

Very good, Sir Edward. Thanks!

Everything I have worked with in the past was hand drawn and that was many years ago in the SCA. I think I might have a wee go at trying this stuff out  ;)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version