"You will never do anything in this world without courage. It is the greatest quality of the mind next to honor."
                -- James Allen

Author Topic: Higgins Armory Museum to close this year  (Read 27638 times)

Lord Dane

• The Hound, Hunter, and Hammer of Justice
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Selflessness, Service, Justice.
Re: Higgins Armory Museum to close this year
« Reply #30 on: 2013-12-10, 14:20:36 »
Actually I resent that statement, Sir Ian. We are much closer to being Mass-a-China-setts.  ;D
"Fides, Honos, Prudentia, Sapiencia" (Faith, Honor, Prudence, Wisdom)
"Fiat justitia ruat caelum" (Let justice be done)

Lord Dane

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #31 on: 2013-12-10, 15:02:19 »
Sir James & anyone interested in going to Higgins....
Vacation week starts Sat. 12/14/2013 until last day. Every day is armored knights display & weapons demonstrations. Perfect chance to come. Check schedule www.higgins.org for what works for you guys coming. I will arrange accommodations if you need them for 3 days at my timeshare. Might as well stay a bit if you can. Last chance to do this!! Weekends work best for me.

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #32 on: 2013-12-10, 16:52:55 »
i bet not. check laws for the state, then email the armoury

We're talking about North Koreachusetts here....

It's a standard blade, neither "high capacity" nor "assault". :D

I am the law for the state. Keep the toys locked in your trunk until you get there. It is private property that caters to medieval weaponry, etc. You will be welcomed as guests. But let us make arrangements for a special group thing for us. I'm sure they would love the hooplah of it on their last days of having armoured knights.

I think making arrangements ahead of time is a good idea. I'll talk to one of the guys on Facebook who works there, see what he says.

Sir James & anyone interested in going to Higgins....
Vacation week starts Sat. 12/14/2013 until last day. Every day is armored knights display & weapons demonstrations. Perfect chance to come. Check schedule www.higgins.org for what works for you guys coming. I will arrange accommodations if you need them for 3 days at my timeshare. Might as well stay a bit if you can. Last chance to do this!! Weekends work best for me.

I'm shooting for the 21st to see if we can get a big group of people in armor in front of the other groups of armor without people in them. Likely do a friday drive up, stay friday night, Higgins on saturday, stay saturday night, hang out for a bit until around lunch on sunday then start heading home. I need to confirm dates with work and my nephew - but the offer on the timeshare is most generous and would be greatly appreciated.
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent

Lord Dane

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #33 on: 2013-12-10, 18:20:47 »
Ok. I can meet you guys on Fri. Dec 20th at Oak & Spruce Resort www.silverleafresorts.com after 4pm for check-in. I have to physically check us in & be there anyways. I got it reserved for Fri. 4pm - Mon. 12 noon. Played it safe and got extra day. Let me know ASAP. I'll stop by this Sat. and inquire for us too. Who do you know there James??

And send me name list of people coming who need accommodating when you know ... Can do 4 or 5 people at timeshare if need be without feeling crammed. 2 bed, 2 bath with sleeper sofa and full kitchen.   
« Last Edit: 2013-12-10, 18:50:40 by Lord Dane »

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #34 on: 2013-12-10, 19:17:43 »
Ok. I can meet you guys on Fri. Dec 20th at Oak & Spruce Resort www.silverleafresorts.com after 4pm for check-in. I have to physically check us in & be there anyways. I got it reserved for Fri. 4pm - Mon. 12 noon. Played it safe and got extra day. Let me know ASAP. I'll stop by this Sat. and inquire for us too. Who do you know there James??

And send me name list of people coming who need accommodating when you know ... Can do 4 or 5 people at timeshare if need be without feeling crammed. 2 bed, 2 bath with sleeper sofa and full kitchen.   

Dr Mondschein - just talked to him and he said he doesn't work there any more, but he's going to come on the 21st for the event. He said they are generally okay with weapons, too! :D

So far I'm the only one; waiting to hear back about my nephew (Chris). Not sure if Sir Edward (possibly w/wife) or Sir William (possibly w/wife), or Sir Nathan (possibly w/girlfriend) would be coming. I know Sir Brian said he has conflicts.

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #35 on: 2013-12-11, 16:25:18 »

Wow, not sure yet. I'll have to check and see how the holiday planning is shaping up.
Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #36 on: 2013-12-16, 20:09:41 »
Sir Edward, any thoughts on the road trip?

Surprised I haven't heard anything from Sir Nathan either.

Dane, how is the weather looking up there? Still a decent bit of snow on the ground here by me, though the roads are clear; but I've seen forecasts of rain on fri-sun and possibility of icing over. I'm getting a bit nervous with the weather and the trip, since it's ~450 miles and 7+ hours each way - and that's without any time accounted for traffic or weather delays.

Waiting 'til the last minute may bite me in my arse. :(

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #37 on: 2013-12-16, 21:39:22 »

I'm probably not going to make it at this point. Too close to the holidays.
Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )

Lord Dane

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #38 on: 2013-12-17, 19:44:05 »
Worst of snow is over. Little accumulation if you go car route thru NY towards Albany.Take your time driving. No rush for whoever is coming. Resort already reserved for you. I will be there around 4pm. Bring what you want. We will arrange things there. James, message me n I will give you my phone. Luxury accommodations await you.

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #39 on: 2013-12-17, 20:23:06 »
Sir Edward - doh! :(

Dane - Thanks. Good to know conditions are good. I looked for a train ride. Nothing. I tried 5 local stations, and *none* to Worcester, MA. Kind of crazy to me. I'm not sure how reasonable the trip would be with having to drive the 15+ hours myself like that - might be able to take the nephew's car and he can help drive some (mine is stick).

Lord Dane

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #40 on: 2013-12-17, 21:45:25 »
Sir Edward - doh! :(

Dane - Thanks. Good to know conditions are good. I looked for a train ride. Nothing. I tried 5 local stations, and *none* to Worcester, MA. Kind of crazy to me. I'm not sure how reasonable the trip would be with having to drive the 15+ hours myself like that - might be able to take the nephew's car and he can help drive some (mine is stick).

Ok. Whatever works for you. Train is bad idea. You would not get close enough to Worcester. Best bet is driving. Take the route I suggested because it is mostly highway & you avoid most if any tolls. Takes you right to resort & you can take your time. I'll be there at 4pm. It's only 90 miles to Worcester from Lee, MA (where timeshare is). Presidential units are VERY big at resort. Lots of room for whatever. Good place to relax after along drive. I just got back from 3 days there.

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #41 on: 2013-12-17, 21:50:29 »
The train was a fallback if I'm going solo or only 2 of us. And... my nephew texted and said he's sick. Going to let me know status on Thursday. (he works outside). Not sure if I'll be able to swing that much driving solo - can you PM me the address for timeshare and your cell #? I'm working regular 8(+) hour day on Friday, so I'll need to reallly figure this out as soon as I can.

Lord Dane

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #42 on: 2013-12-17, 22:16:55 »
Sorry James. I thought you would have day off Friday from work. That is a long drive after working not to mention with snow/ice. Well... if you do make it, the offer stands for a pit-stop at resort Fri through Sunday or Monday. Whichever you like. Hope you can make it.

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #43 on: 2013-12-18, 19:03:39 »
If I did not say it earlier, it is most chivalrous of you to stand as host to those of us who can make it, Lord Dane.  I commend you for it.
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #44 on: 2013-12-18, 21:59:25 »
Originally my plan was to have the day off, but I'm not sure I'm going to be able to swing that. I may be able to pull a half day, although I'm not sure if my nephew will be able to get here any earlier, so it may be moot.

PM received, thanks for the info.

I'll let you know status tomorrow. I'm sorry it is so up in the air last minute; it's been a hectic year to say the least.