"If you are distressed by anything external, the pain is not due to the thing itself, but to your estimate of it; and this you have the power to revoke at any moment."
                -- Marcus Aurelius (121 - 180)

Author Topic: Higgins Armory Museum to close this year  (Read 27631 times)

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
Higgins Armory Museum to close this year
« on: 2013-03-09, 01:48:32 »
http://www.bostonglobe.com/arts/2013/03/08/higgins-armory-museum-close-arms-and-armor-worcester-art-museum/3Y4p45OpkfMrQxSGmlP3NP/story.html

It's about a 7 hour drive or so. I'm thinking road trip! No idea when or if I can, but it's a really cool place. I've been lucky enough to see the Met, but never been to the Higgins.

Ken Mondschein teaches sword classes up there. If I can make it, I might bug him to autograph the two books I have of his.

I've also offered to provide a loving home for 25 or 30 harnesses for them; if that happens, I'll let you know. :)
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
Re: Higgins Armory Museum to close this year
« Reply #1 on: 2013-03-09, 03:01:29 »

Long drive, but doable.
Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )

Lord Dane

• The Hound, Hunter, and Hammer of Justice
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Selflessness, Service, Justice.
« Reply #2 on: 2013-03-09, 04:11:14 »
http://www.bostonglobe.com/arts/2013/03/08/higgins-armory-museum-close-arms-and-armor-worcester-art-museum/3Y4p45OpkfMrQxSGmlP3NP/story.html

It's about a 7 hour drive or so. I'm thinking road trip! No idea when or if I can, but it's a really cool place. I've been lucky enough to see the Met, but never been to the Higgins.

Ken Mondschein teaches sword classes up there. If I can make it, I might bug him to autograph the two books I have of his.

I've also offered to provide a loving home for 25 or 30 harnesses for them; if that happens, I'll let you know. :)

Been going there for years & I did not hear that. :( Let me know when guys are coming as this is my backyard & I can meet up with you. Wait, now that I think about it... that's an awesome place for a knighting. :)
« Last Edit: 2013-03-09, 04:35:55 by Lord Dane »
"Fides, Honos, Prudentia, Sapiencia" (Faith, Honor, Prudence, Wisdom)
"Fiat justitia ruat caelum" (Let justice be done)

Sir Wolf

• He Who is Not to be Named
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
« Reply #3 on: 2013-03-09, 15:10:53 »
anyway we can avoid driving thru NY? i seriously do not wanna give that state any of my money.
i might be up for a road trip

Lord Dane

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #4 on: 2013-03-09, 17:25:18 »
anyway we can avoid driving thru NY? i seriously do not wanna give that state any of my money.
i might be up for a road trip

Only by sea. Go thru NE PA Scranton to Binghamton, NY up Rt 88 to Rt 90 leads to Mass Pike eastbound. No tolls that way last I traveled. Except for MASS Pike tolls. SIDE NOTE if you travel this route:: I own a TIMESHARE in Lee, MASS Exit 2 off Rt. 90 (Mass Pike) if any of you fine gents require a pitstop or sleepover. I shall accomodate you if needed. Let me know. :)
« Last Edit: 2013-03-10, 21:06:20 by Lord Dane »

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #5 on: 2013-03-10, 05:09:14 »
I looked at taking the Amtrak from Manassas VA up there, but it only stops about an hour west and an hour east of the museum, which would mean rental car and all that. Road trip might be more reasonable. Lord Dane's path without tolls seems like a good idea.

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #6 on: 2013-03-12, 15:01:51 »
The tolls on a straight run up 95 will run you over $50 going through NY; I make that run pretty regularly to visit my folks so I'm well acquainted with it.  It really sucks.
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€

Lord Dane

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #7 on: 2013-03-13, 00:34:44 »
Anyone making a roadtrip, let me know. I can accomodate. :)

Grand Master Garland

• New Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: 2013-06-24, 14:04:11 »
Closing! Say it isn't so!  I spent many fascinated days at Higgins during my youth with my dad.  It must have been in the late 50's, early 60's. Higgins was free admission at that time.  Even at that, there was rarely anyone but the castellan in the museum with us and we always had freedom to roam at will.  They didn't give any classes then, just a huge private collection of a wealthy industrialist who wanted others to enjoy it at will.  I've been fascinated by the subject ever since.

Lord Dane

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #9 on: 2013-06-24, 20:13:49 »
Relax Grand Master. It is just being relocated to the Worcester Art Museum.

Grand Master Garland

• New Forum Member
« Reply #10 on: 2013-06-24, 21:04:28 »
Good to know Lord Dane though I doubt they have enough room there to display much of that huge collection. By the way, I am relaxing with a Guiness Stout at this very moment and thanks for your concern.   8)

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #11 on: 2013-06-24, 21:15:33 »
Good to know Lord Dane though I doubt they have enough room there to display much of that huge collection. By the way, I am relaxing with a Guiness Stout at this very moment and thanks for your concern.   8)

That's exactly my concern too. What is going to go into hiding, what will be sold off, and what will be neglected or abused. What we will be left with likely won't be anywhere near what the Higgins is now. :(

Lord Dane

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #12 on: 2013-06-24, 23:44:21 »

That's exactly my concern too. What is going to go into hiding, what will be sold off, and what will be neglected or abused. What we will be left with likely won't be anywhere near what the Higgins is now. :(

Worcester Arm Museum has new space with this expansion & will acquire MOST of the collection, very little is being sold off to private auction. They also will hire 6-7 of 9 of the Higgins staff in the transition. By the way, I think the Higgins would be a lovely place for an Order knighting *ahem* :) :)

Sir Robert

• Sir Robert
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Follower
  • A leasanna a chosaint agus
« Reply #13 on: 2013-10-02, 15:50:20 »
Very sad, but at least people will still get to view part of the collection, in a side note many art museums don't give much space to armor exhibits any more, the relics are becoming relics of less interest to today's generations it seems. It would be a great place to do a Knighting....

In that vein I wish we could do this in such a way with a celebration afterwards... something to think about for new members.

I wonder if we would have an interest in getting together for a holiday party, as I am planning my NSSA team party now, and most SCA groups also have parties.

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #14 on: 2013-10-02, 20:25:35 »
I wonder if we would have an interest in getting together for a holiday party, as I am planning my NSSA team party now, and most SCA groups also have parties.

Depending on time and location, might be feasible.