Main > The Round Table

Heraldry

<< < (2/3) > >>

Thorsteinn:
Also Heralds.westkingdom.org & Rolls.westkingdom.org can be helpful. :)

Sir Edward:

To help narrow the focus, what aspect of it do you want to know about the most? How it evolved over time? The rules and terminology? How you might go about choosing options for yourself?

If you want to make heraldry for yourself, most of it will come down to personal taste and things that mean something to you. You can certainly bounce ideas off of us here, and we can make suggestions.

The links Thorsteinn suggested above are a great source of ideas.

RackThor:
Quite honestly I am curious about all the things you just listed Sir Edward, and I would like to know what role Heraldry truly played with 16th century knights.

Sir Edward:

Ah, that might be worth reading about. By the 16th century, knighthood had evolved to be more of a title, rather than a battlefield role. Heraldry at this point, I think, had evolved also, such that it was a form of formal identification not just for knights, but also for nobles and royalty. This is where we get more of the notion of a "family crest" rather than being a shield design to identify knights in battle.

Joshua Santana:
Heraldry in the 16th Century was used to explore family lineages, and to identity the Honorific Knights in the Renaissance.  In essence, Heraldry was still practiced throughout the Renaissance until the 1700's.  An example of this is the coat of Arms belonging to the famous Don John of Austria shown here.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version