"Men are not prisoners of fate, but only prisoners of their own minds."
                -- Franklin D. Roosevelt (1882 - 1945)

Author Topic: Asperger's for the Neurotypical.  (Read 30956 times)

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
Re: Asperger's for the Neurotypical.
« Reply #30 on: 2013-03-11, 02:36:01 »

An additional thought-- When I was taking it, many of the questions felt like they were testing whether you were introverted or extroverted. They did say there were some questions that didn't pertain to the test itself, but were there to draw some other data. I'm not sure which are which.
Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #31 on: 2013-03-11, 03:46:20 »
An additional thought-- When I was taking it, many of the questions felt like they were testing whether you were introverted or extroverted. They did say there were some questions that didn't pertain to the test itself, but were there to draw some other data. I'm not sure which are which.

I'm definitely introverted. The eyes questions really threw me way off, I didn't know what any of them were and had to guess at every single one.

Lower perception and communication than talent and compulsive is spot on. My parents said my kindergarten teacher asked them if I knew how to talk, and if I knew how to interact with other kids at all. Apparently the first 6 weeks or so of school, I didn't speak to any of the other classmates, and just sat and played by myself (oldest of the generation, cousin & sister 4 years younger). I'm also terrible at noticing/remembering what people are wearing (if it's not medieval / dragons / etc), and I'm terrible at noticing when somebody gets a hair cut or looks different than "the usual" unless it's an extreme difference (like dying black hair blonde). Perception?

Quite a few things that I can also think of that might affect my score (people showing up unannounced, not wanting to be interrupted mid-project, starting lots of things without finishing previous ones, and the OCD related things like preferring symmetry or being perfectionist on details most people don't even notice). The symmetry and perfectionist parts I'd call compulsive.

Why those things fall on the Aspie side instead of Neurotypical, I have no idea. That has me really curious.
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #32 on: 2013-03-11, 15:01:12 »

The funny thing is, I probably answered similarly on at least some of those things. I hate interruptions, and I have a hard time finishing all the little projects I start too. I'm also super introverted, and was a late-talker as a kid. I also answered "yes" to noticing details, and being bothered by stray sounds, and so on.

I also had a really hard time on the eyes, even though I did great on the face-quiz I took a while back. When it's just the eyes, and a lot of the answers seem to fit, it's really hard. I felt some were easier than others, but not by much.

Sir Ed T. Toton III

Thorsteinn

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #33 on: 2013-03-17, 01:10:50 »
Week 6: "Aspie's & Sensory Issues" is up.
Fall down seven, get up eight.

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #34 on: 2013-03-19, 21:51:11 »
I don't know what this is saying about me, other than I don't suffer from Aspie's, or don't appear to at least.

« Last Edit: 2013-03-19, 21:51:41 by Sir William »
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€

Thorsteinn

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #35 on: 2013-03-20, 20:44:02 »
Please share the below.

OK. I have been told by an unimpeachable source (A female quadruple Peer who is like family to me), that there are diagnosed "Sir Aspie's" out there. However I would like to say that I have been contacted first hand by Laurel's, Pelican's, and Royal's about their A.S. diagnosis, but not a single Knight has come forward. This is very suggestive to me that they feel a shame or stigma to being open about their disorder.

So for all the Sir Aspie's out there siting in the shadows, this is for you.
I support whatever choice you make, but know there is one here whom will stand by your side.

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #36 on: 2013-03-20, 20:51:59 »

There's a strong stigma out there in general when it comes to various mental conditions. What's interesting is that a lot of it is self-imposed.

I think you know what I mean, but it can be liberating to acknowledge your condition and work with it.
Sir Ed T. Toton III

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #37 on: 2013-03-20, 21:09:47 »
For some, but not all.  Not everyone is able to face their issues like that head-on...for some, that's even more traumatic.

I think that the ones who do not respond to you, Ivan, deserve their privacy without reprisal.  Whether they feel shame, or fear the stigma, it is still their own private business.
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€

Thorsteinn

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #38 on: 2013-03-22, 15:37:15 »
Week 7, Part 1 is up.

Thorsteinn

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #39 on: 2013-04-02, 06:13:47 »
Fan mail & questions would be easier to handle if I didn't care, but if I didn't care I wouldn't be doing the series. Work Work Work.

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #40 on: 2013-04-02, 15:11:13 »

I've been following along, and the videos have all been interesting. Good work so far!
Sir Ed T. Toton III

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #41 on: 2013-04-02, 15:41:56 »
Fan mail & questions would be easier to handle if I didn't care, but if I didn't care I wouldn't be doing the series. Work Work Work.

It's a vicious circle :)
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent

Thorsteinn

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #42 on: 2013-04-02, 17:34:48 »

Lord Tristin

• Forum Member
  • Always strive to better yourself.
    • My facebook
« Reply #43 on: 2013-04-10, 20:01:00 »
Good to see another aspie stand up and voice themselves! I also have Asperger's and have learned through trial and tribulation how to adapt to society.

Thorsteinn

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #44 on: 2013-04-10, 22:02:30 »
Cool! It looks like I have over 300 people following my series at the moment. :D

This week will be week 10!