Main > The Round Table

Armored or Not- what makes you a Knight?

<< < (9/10) > >>

Corvus:

--- Quote from: B. Patricius on 2013-04-17, 21:32:27 ---I have to agree with Lord Tristan.

I've met many "knights" who were anything BUT knightly.  I think that is what drew me to this forum where I actually registered instead of just "creeping around" and gathering research for my own means.  Here is a place where although, we all have differing opinions on what makes a "knight" at the same time, they are all very similar as well.

I can't help but also think of that scene in "Knight's Tale" and the whole movie in general.  The language and music, even the costumes that you would think are accurate are not.  Historically.  But anthropologically speaking, resounding to the "human condition" as we like to call it, Yes, "Knight's Tale" is incredibly anthropologically correct. 

Being a knight is not worn with a belt, even though it definitely adds to it
Being a knight is not a given when one has the most EPIC of kit, though it definitely adds to that person's presence.
I'm thinking of another movie now, a Marvel one, where the weakest of the group was in fact the strongest.  To be knightly, isn't born, made, or trained.  It's earned.  The ability to lay down your life, to risk it all for the betterment of others, like those people in Boston, who were just "civilians" as Corvus put it, THEY are knightly.

Or, as a dear friend of mine said, before he passed from his injuries, "no regrets."  Would my friend consider himself a hero? I doubt it.  He was "just doing his job," in direct disregard of the tridents embedded in his coffin, the start of a sad tradition of my generation, the cigars and coins left at his grave, or the medal of honor hung at his neck. Going out of the way, and doing the extraordinary, "tilting when they should draw," THAT is knightly.

The rest of us?  We're just continually striving, excelling, and struggling, along the path.

--- End quote ---

This is very inspiring, bro.

B. Patricius:
Corvus,  Joshua, thank you for your kind words.   :) It's an honor to be here, and contribute where I can, when I can.

YIS

B. Patricius

PS

throughout my young life, 8 years old on, I was raised with Honor, Courage and Commitment.

Now, I'm "retired" and I'm still trying to get used to that.

So now, I have a new "Ethos" - ~Officium-Honestas-Sacrificium~  latin for (I hope, googled it so if it's wrong please tell me) Duty, Honor, Sacrifice

and my friend who said "no regrets"
here's a link to another thread where I posted more about him
http://modernchivalry.org/forum/index.php/topic,2435.0.html

and if I'm being too sappy, I've been up for almost 48 hours.  the half-pint needs a regular schedule, even if Meg (my lady) cannot because of a work FUBAR for this week.  So yeah, taking care of both ATM.  It's an excuse, and a poor one, but it's what I've got.  :-[

Lord Dane:
Being 'knightly' is like being 'noble'. It is not a title given but more a recognition of traits or action that make one so. We all know the traits of chivalry and good virtue that one seeks to be knightly. But which ones really define a person as knightly??

For me, that's easy...
Selflessness - giving everything of yourself including up to sacrificing one's life for a greater good in service to another or others
Faith - being virtuous and exemplifying pious behavior in a manner reflective of religious ideal that makes one a shining example to others in both word and action; having conviction in your beliefs that coincides in both your words and actions without being hypocritical or deceptive
Honor - upholding your virtues with fervent fortitude and nobility
Prudence - acting reasonably under circumstances that exhibit rational thought and sound judgment without engaging in senseless acts based upon lack of knowledge and emotion
Wisdom - expressing rational thought and sound judgment in making decisions that exercise fairness in all situations

But that's just my interpretation of what makes someone knightly in my eyes above other virtues. These ironically are the divine virtues of justice.

B. Patricius:
Very well said, Lord Dane.  And my prayers go out to your brother in arms in Mass.  Happy hunting and stay frosty.

YIS
B. Patricius

Lord Dane:
Hunting is over for me (least in this case). Back to bed. Give your condolences & prayers to M.I.T. Police who will be burying one of theirs next week. :(  :'( Thoughts mean alot. Transit Police shot will survive and recover.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version