"I fear not the man who has practiced ten thousand kicks once. But I fear the man who has practiced one kick ten thousand times."
                -- Bruce Lee

Author Topic: Armored or Not- what makes you a Knight?  (Read 23497 times)

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
Re: Armored or Not- what makes you a Knight?
« Reply #15 on: 2013-03-08, 15:57:59 »
Well said, Sir Steven.
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.”

Joshua Santana

• Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Honorare scutum meum, veritas mea gladio
« Reply #16 on: 2013-03-08, 16:17:46 »
Sir Nathan, I concur with you on this one. 

I have often pondered this very questions myself, and it is one that I pose to each and every Squire I take under my wing prior to them becoming a knight. My humble opinion is that Knights are not made, they are recognized. What makes one a knight is a special something inside them that sets them apart from thier fellow man. It radiates a leadership on the field and off ( a natural willingness to listen to them), a sense of trust that allows people to divulge thier inner thoughts to them with complete confidence that they can be trusted (even if they hardly know them), an ability to be strong when others need them to brace upon, and to be gentle when they need to be comforting. A knights greatest virtues are in how they affect those around them in a positive manner. Does this mean a knight is morally perfect, by no means. A knight is a mortal and as such will fail to live up to thier beliefs from time to time, but a knight that believes in a code has the strength to aknowledge his weaknesses and failings and get back up and try again. To the point of armour... I believe that the armor is akin to a uniform, its so that people see us and know we are knights, not for our egos, but rather for thier ease. From a marketing standpoint, the flash of the armour and the clash of swords draws people to us, and allows us to meet them so that we find those diamonds in the rough in the crowd.
Just my 2 cents worth my Brothers.

Sir Steven:  Well said!  I agree on this matter!
Knight of The Lion Blade

Honora gladium meum, veritas mea, et SpirĂ­tui Sancto.  כדי לכבד המגן שלי, האמת שלי חרבי

Honor My Sword, Truth My Shield.

Lord Dane

• The Hound, Hunter, and Hammer of Justice
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Selflessness, Service, Justice.
« Reply #17 on: 2013-03-08, 20:48:39 »
Well stated & spoken like a veteran, Sir Steven. :)
"Fides, Honos, Prudentia, Sapiencia" (Faith, Honor, Prudence, Wisdom)
"Fiat justitia ruat caelum" (Let justice be done)

Sir Vander Linde

• Forum Follower
  • Protokoll....
« Reply #18 on: 2013-04-01, 20:36:59 »
What makes a man a knight, is not his tools but his fortitude and understanding. The knowing that he never stands alone even when he has fallen, that his sword shows compassion equally to death, that what must be done is not always right, a man who can show kindness before and after a war to his enemies, but never during, to have honor and pride but never force upon them the job of the crutch, to have respect for all things, and to hold truth, honor, loyalty, reverence, and courtesy above all material things. That is what makes a knight. (to me any way)

As for the armor, it was there for a few reasons.
1)   No man does nothing (to defend himself) if he wants to live.
2)   Knights under the system of vassalage were worth protecting as they are key to the social ways of the time.
3)   It was not really a symbol of the knight, many have worn armor and never had the title.
4)   The first reason.
5)   Reason 1
6)   Reasons 1,4,5

Ultimately, knights did not parade themselves around in full harness (unless at tourney). However, in the today many would not assume you are a knight if you didn’t have armor unless they were familiar with historical textiles and wears.

I know this is an old subject and I am quite late but that is my thoughts.

Lord Dane

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #19 on: 2013-04-01, 20:58:59 »
What is important is sharing your thoughts, good Sir. Well-spoken words should always reflect the intended meaning without being perceived by others as anything less. Acting upon them is what must be done in good faith and what makes a man knightly. :)

Joshua Santana

• Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #20 on: 2013-04-02, 00:06:22 »
What makes a man a knight, is not his tools but his fortitude and understanding. The knowing that he never stands alone even when he has fallen, that his sword shows compassion equally to death, that what must be done is not always right, a man who can show kindness before and after a war to his enemies, but never during, to have honor and pride but never force upon them the job of the crutch, to have respect for all things, and to hold truth, honor, loyalty, reverence, and courtesy above all material things. That is what makes a knight. (to me any way)

Well spoken Sir Vander.

Ultimately, knights did not parade themselves around in full harness (unless at tourney). However, in the today many would not assume you are a knight if you didn’t have armor unless they were familiar with historical textiles and wears.

True indeed.

hat is important is sharing your thoughts, good Sir. Well-spoken words should always reflect the intended meaning without being perceived by others as anything less. Acting upon them is what must be done in good faith and what makes a man knightly. :)

Amen and Amen!  Well said Lord Dane.
Knight of The Lion Blade

Honora gladium meum, veritas mea, et SpirĂ­tui Sancto.  כדי לכבד המגן שלי, האמת שלי חרבי

Lord Chagatai

• Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Follower
« Reply #21 on: 2013-04-02, 17:32:24 »
I don't think armor has anything to do with whether you are a knight or not. Its in the way that you carry yourself in everyday life. If you strive to live by the code then you are a knight in all aspects of the meaning of it. You knightly manner is your armor, the way that you live the code defines your character. Most attacks in the modern age are used with words so your defense is your code.

The armor IMHO is for show and to make us recognizable to others although your actions should make you recognizable too. But you are right it would not look pretty running around the faire "naked".

Here is a picture of my rig..

Lord Murchadh

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Joshua Santana

• Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #22 on: 2013-04-03, 00:04:16 »
I don't think armor has anything to do with whether you are a knight or not. Its in the way that you carry yourself in everyday life. If you strive to live by the code then you are a knight in all aspects of the meaning of it. You knightly manner is your armor, the way that you live the code defines your character. Most attacks in the modern age are used with words so your defense is your code.

Exactly, exactly!  Well spoken.
Knight of The Lion Blade

Thorsteinn

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #23 on: 2013-04-03, 00:36:59 »
But you are right it would not look pretty running around the faire "naked"

Speak for yourself! I have the body of a Russian God.  ;D
Fall down seven, get up eight.

Lord Dane

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #24 on: 2013-04-03, 10:02:41 »
But you are right it would not look pretty running around the faire "naked"

Speak for yourself! I have the body of a Russian God.  ;D

A bulldog named "Boris"???  ???

Thorsteinn

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #25 on: 2013-04-03, 18:46:28 »
Svarog!

I be 6' & 206lbs nowadays!

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #26 on: 2013-04-04, 16:30:31 »
You dropped those 19lbs like a bad habit- looks good on ya man.
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.”

SirNathanQ

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • "Nobiscum Deus" "Libertas ad omnes civitates"
« Reply #27 on: 2013-04-06, 06:05:02 »
Looking good! We're just about the same weight (give or take 2 pounds) and height actually!
Though I think I'm lacking in the Tight Shirt Pics On Demand Department!  ;)
TSPODD for short! We're right down the hall from the Ministry of Silly Walks!
"The maximum use of force is in no way incompatible with the simultaneous use of the intellect." -Carl Von Clausewitz
"He is truly a fearless knight and secure on every side, for his soul is protected by the armor of faith just as his body is protected by armor of steel." -Saint Bernard of Clairvoux

Thorsteinn

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #28 on: 2013-04-06, 09:47:44 »
Looking good! We're just about the same weight (give or take 2 pounds) and height actually!
Though I think I'm lacking in the Tight Shirt Pics On Demand Department!  ;)
TSPODD for short! We're right down the hall from the Ministry of Silly Walks!

Tee Spod?  ;D

Lord Tristin

• Forum Member
  • Always strive to better yourself.
    • My facebook
« Reply #29 on: 2013-04-11, 16:51:36 »
I thought long and well about that very question many years ago. What makes a knight. One could argue that knightly behavior makes a knight, or title from a lord, perhaps even his wealth and armor.  Imyself have my own formulated opinion.

A knight is someone who shines like a beacon, someone who stands for his beliefs and stands for others even when no one will stand with him. A knight strives to be temprent in judgement, yet is not afraid to hand down punishment for injustice. A knight needs no reason to do good, and makes a point to show kindness and understanding to those less fortunate then himself.

Knightly behavior, Charity, Honor, Hospitality, Courtesy, Integrity, these intangible virtues are paramount to knightly behavior. A knight needs to always be aware of his actions, how they reflect on himself and his peers and lord. I could continue but I believe my point is made. A knight is a combination of inborn ability and learned behavior.