"I think that more Knights are made on the school-ground than on the battle field."
                ---Benjamin Disraeli

Author Topic: What are you thankful for?  (Read 7021 times)

Thorsteinn

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
What are you thankful for?
« on: 2012-11-05, 02:41:59 »
It is the Thanksgiving season in the USA this month. Once a day post up something your thankful for.

I'm thankful for having had a brief but shining moment with a woman where I knew we were in love, and I was ready to be both husband and father, even if she's was not ready for that, even if she will never be. It is still true. I know what was, and can move forward with a most important fact of my life. :)
Fall down seven, get up eight.

Thorsteinn

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
Re: What are you thankful for?
« Reply #1 on: 2012-11-05, 07:33:06 »
Posting early for tomorrow.

What I'm thankful for.... finally knowing where I want to be in life, even if I don't know for sure how to get there. I'm thankful for all those I call my friend even if we sometimes don't get along I know you understand me and to someone with Asperger's that is priceless. I'm thankful that in six weeks I will be able to graduate college after 15 years, even if it's only an Associate's it's still proof I never gave up and a sign of more study to come (Bachelors of Science anyone?).

Life for me has never been easy, from the time of my birth where I had an a-symptomatic lethal defect to now it's never been easy. Trudge, trudge, trudge. Keep the Faith.

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #2 on: 2012-11-05, 20:36:52 »
Allan, of MercTailor
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent

Sir Wolf

• He Who is Not to be Named
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
« Reply #3 on: 2012-11-05, 23:24:56 »
my family

Joshua Santana

• Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Honorare scutum meum, veritas mea gladio
« Reply #4 on: 2012-11-05, 23:42:21 »
I am thankful for Order of the Marshal.  I am grateful in meeting and getting to know excellent Brethren in Arms.  I am grateful for attending NHSC, meeting Sir Edward in person. 

I am thankful for the fact that I learned from all of you, this has helped improved my views and beliefs.  Your advice and counsel has helped in my journey of Chivalric improvement of Character. 

I am eternally grateful for My God, Family, Opportunities in Life and Brethren in Arms.
Knight of The Lion Blade

Honora gladium meum, veritas mea, et Spirítui Sancto.  כדי לכבד המגן שלי, האמת שלי חרבי

Honor My Sword, Truth My Shield.

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #5 on: 2012-11-06, 16:13:38 »
This is my prayer to God every night before I close my eyes in sleep:

Thank you, Lord, for my wife, my children, my parents, my siblings, my in-laws, all and sundry of cousins, aunts and uncles, and those special loved ones who fit no real category (like best friends and my brethren Knights).  I'm not even sure if I say 'Amen' or not, but I think He gets it.

Things that I don't normally thank Him for, but am thankful for- my health, my general well-being and happiness, my lot in life and any and every day He sees fit to grant me, I am thankful for.
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€

Sir Gerard de Rodes

• "Chivalry our Strength, Brotherhood our sword"
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Robor meum Deus
    • The Freemen Of Gwent
« Reply #6 on: 2012-11-06, 17:55:16 »
I am truly grateful for my family, but must admit, I don`t show them anywhere near enough.
G.
"War is at first like a beautiful girl with whom all men long to play,but in the end like a repulsive hag whose suitors all weep and ache" Samuel Hanagid (993-1056)

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #7 on: 2012-11-07, 17:54:19 »
Ahh, but I bet they know it nonetheless, Sir Gerard.  Today, I am thankful that the candidate I voted for won his second term.  Whether or not I'll still be thankful as we move forward- only time will tell.
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€

Thorsteinn

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #8 on: 2012-11-09, 07:07:30 »
Day 8: I'm grateful to have read these words in 'The Journal Of Best Practices' tonight.~
"First of all -lets face it- I'm a guy. That's strike one. To make matters worse, I'm a guy with Asperger's syndrome. If empathy were currency, men with Asperger's syndrome would starve..." ('Chap 4: Just Listen')

"If I don't obsess about something then it doesn't get done." ('Chap 5'. While discussing how he did things that didn't come naturally)

I'm also grateful the big Math 120 test was short, relatively easy, and I got the extra credit right.

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #9 on: 2012-11-09, 15:52:07 »
I am thankful that my parents made it through Sandy- the house got damaged but it is still more or less whole.  I pray that they get their electricity back soon, it is damn cold up there.

Thorsteinn

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #10 on: 2012-11-10, 00:33:58 »
Day 9)

Today I'm thankful for the fact I only have 5 weeks of class left, even if I wish I had more to do & occupy my mind with sometimes, I'm still glad I have an "A" in the class and will graduate with an Associates in General Studies 12 years after I went back to college.

Thorsteinn

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #11 on: 2012-11-21, 06:07:36 »
Day 's 11-20) It's been a week and more since I last posted on this. I've not been very OK. I've been lower than a snakes belly really.

11) I'm grateful for counselors who get where you come from.

12) I'm grateful for Nissan, without whom I would not have a truck that never fails.

13) I'm grateful for good food at cool places, even if I cannot afford to enjoy it now.

14) I'm grateful for RPG's so that I might escape the world into my head for a few hours.

15) I'm grateful for sweet's that bring a moment of joy into your life.

16) I'm grateful for movies so that I can leave the world behind for a while.

17) I'm grateful for women. Wonderful, crazy, complex, beautiful women. Someday I'll find one crazy, understanding, & stubborn enough to stay. Probably she'll give me no choice in the matter.  ;D

18) I'm grateful for the men and women who take the field in armoured combat against me. I'm also grateful for the martial arts without which I would have been lost long ago.

19) Finally, to catch up, I'm grateful for Love. Without it life would nor be worth living, and a poor Aspie like me would never truly connect with another human.

20)Today, however I'm grateful for large amounts of willpower aka pure stubborn cussed determination.

With it I've kept at college, not given up on friends, beaten addiction, survived winter as a courier, not killed my brothers <wink>, kept fighting at tourney long after I should have quit, pushed through being locked up, and stayed alive when all around me said die.
« Last Edit: 2012-11-21, 06:15:27 by Hersir Thorsteinn »

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #12 on: 2012-11-21, 14:37:02 »
20)Today, however I'm grateful for large amounts of willpower aka pure stubborn cussed determination.

With it I've kept at college, not given up on friends, beaten addiction, survived winter as a courier, not killed my brothers <wink>, kept fighting at tourney long after I should have quit, pushed through being locked up, and stayed alive when all around me said die.

That's a really good one. Sometimes I wish I had a lot more of it.

Some days I feel pretty darned heroic just for getting out of bed. :)
Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #13 on: 2012-11-21, 15:19:27 »
Agreed, Sir Edward.  Sometimes that's a huge undertaking in and of itself.  You never know what you're going to come across when you set your feet outside your door.

Thorsteinn

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #14 on: 2012-11-22, 07:23:15 »
‎21) Today I'm thankful for Hope.

When the World shout's "Give Up!", Hope whispers "Try one more time."
And what is Hope but a kind of Faith in the face of Relentless Doubt?
« Last Edit: 2012-11-22, 07:23:47 by Hersir Thorsteinn »