"Honor is like an island, rugged and without a beach; once we have left it, we can never return."
                -- Nicholas Boileau

Author Topic: 15th/16th Articulated Gorget by Allan / MercTailor  (Read 3051 times)

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
Received a 15th/16th century articulated gorget by Allan / MercTailor. It's essentially the same as the one I wore at VARF, except this one has brass rivets (yes, I'm *that* meticulous on some things!). Allan put it up for sale, and as I'm lucky enough to be of similar size to almost everything "off the shelf" that Allan has been selling, it fit me great. I mentioned to him that I'd be adding straps on it so that I can attach my pauldrons to it, and Allan even included the pair of straps for me! I didn't see any threads where I posted pictures of my other gorget either, so I thought I would post these pics.

Functionally, it's great - as any of Allan's work is known to be. Sliding rivets and leathers, exactly as the historic originals have. It sits right underneath my chin, as you can see in this terrible cell-phone-in-the-mirror photo:

The sliding rivets let it collapse downward so that I can still eat, drink and talk without any trouble. It's also well-fitted to the body, so that, as in the picture above, I can wear it under a cuirass and not have it trying to flare out or push the cuirass out to uncomfortable positions. Excellent piece!
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent