"Men are not prisoners of fate, but only prisoners of their own minds."
                -- Franklin D. Roosevelt (1882 - 1945)

Author Topic: Chivalrous deeds at renfaires and events.  (Read 17568 times)

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
Chivalrous deeds at renfaires and events.
« on: 2008-02-04, 03:02:25 »
So what are some of the coolest, or most charitable, or most chivalrous things you've seen someone do at a renfaire or event?

The one that comes to mind for me happened at the TX faire. There was a knight who was singing to an elderly woman. Let me set the scene-- the woman was in a wheelchair, and appeared quite feeble, possibly having Alzheimer's. The knight, who appeared to be a patron or boothie, not a jouster or cast member, got down on one knee, took her hand, and sang (in Spanish I think, but romantic songs none-the-less). She just sat and smiled at him the whole time. I think it made her day, beyond words.

« Last Edit: 2008-06-02, 15:02:07 by Sir Edward »
Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
Re: Chivalrous deeds at renfaires and events.
« Reply #1 on: 2008-04-04, 21:11:02 »

I'm going to resurrect this thread and talk about myself. :)

Something that I haven't seen much of at the renfaires, but I enjoy doing, is letting some of the kids come up and ask me about knights and armor, and feel the chainmail and try on the helmet. I've done this in cooperation with a couple of our forumites here:

But there was one moment this past year that I'll never forget. On the day that I was at MDRF with my brand new helm and linen surcoat, I was already getting more photo-ops and attention than I typically would. One young boy and his mom came over, and asked me some questions and checked out the armor. I let the boy try on the helmet, but it was the mother doing most of the talking while the kid looked on, wide-eyed. When they were done and started to walk away, the boy looked up at his mom and said "WOW! OH.. MY.. GOD!!! WOW!!!!"  At that moment it really made my day. For one day, I was this child's hero.

Sir Ed T. Toton III

Das Bill

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #2 on: 2008-04-05, 16:03:54 »
I'm going to resurrect this thread and talk about myself.

Its okay, we know you're a good guy. :) Good story! I know I would have LOVED to be able to try on armor as a little kid... it's why I've gone so crazy with it as an adult. And this is also why I love what the Oakeshott Institute is doing with their whole "Knight for a Day Camp" thing. Those are the types of things that get kids (and adults, for that matter) interested in ideals, history and even just learning a few more things that they otherwise wouldn't have learned. So good work, Ed!
"A despondent heart will always be defeated, regardless of skill." -Master Sigmund Ringeck

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #3 on: 2008-04-07, 19:55:38 »
Its okay, we know you're a good guy. :)

Hehe, I just figure that if I'm going to toot my own horn, I might as well acknowledge the fact that that's what I'm doing. :)

Yes, that link you posted about the knight's camp for kids is really awesome. I'd really like to see more of that sort of thing.

At NCRF this past weekend, we saw a group called The Knightly Order of the Fiat Lux (http://www.knightlyorderofthefiatlux.org/), which is a non-profit chivalrous group that does combat demonstrations to raise money for charity, among other things.

We got to watch some of their combat, and I handed them a business card for this forum. It'll be interesting to see if any of them jump in and talk with us.

The combat looked vaguely like SCA combat, but they fight with steel and go for leg shots, so it's definitely different. I got some pics:

Sir Ed T. Toton III

Das Bill

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #4 on: 2008-04-08, 03:40:34 »
The combat looked vaguely like SCA combat, but they fight with steel and go for leg shots, so it's definitely different.

Sounds like a lot of the various "live steel" groups such as Markland. Definatley different from what we do at VAF. Whatever group they've originated from, bravo to them for raising money for charity! I've been thinking about trying to do something myself (and I'll likely talk to Mason about doing another half marathon again).
"A despondent heart will always be defeated, regardless of skill." -Master Sigmund Ringeck

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #5 on: 2008-04-08, 13:13:43 »
I think what they're doing is awesome, even if the combat isn't based on the historical manuals, since it looks like they have a blast with it, and it's successful at raising funds for various causes. I think they said about 15% goes towards expenses, and the rest towards charity. According to their website they also conduct themselves as a functioning chivalric order.

I noticed that a lot of the armor is off-the-shelf. I spotted at least one GDFB helmet, and what I think was the old CAS-Iberia Spangenhelm that's long since discontinued. Their Sir Edward (small world) I think said his riveted mail was from Knight's Edge, but he might have meant Museum Replicas. I didn't speak with them much (I should have, but I never think of the right things to say or ask when I'm there).

One thing that was amusing was that if the donations for each round of fights made it over $50, they would all line up and do the Wizard of Oz Tin-Man dance. :)

Ironically I got almost no photo-ops with my own armor there because there were a whole bunch of red knights everywhere. :)

Anyway, I had thought about the idea of trying to do something similar as well. The problem is that I spread myself thin with all my hobbies. :)

« Last Edit: 2008-04-08, 13:18:29 by Sir Edward »
Sir Ed T. Toton III

Das Bill

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #6 on: 2008-04-08, 15:05:37 »
One thing that was amusing was that if the donations for each round of fights made it over $50, they would all line up and do the Wizard of Oz Tin-Man dance. :)

Okay, that's fantastic! :)

Anyway, I had thought about the idea of trying to do something similar as well. The problem is that I spread myself thin with all my hobbies. :)

I hear you!

Das Bill

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #7 on: 2008-04-10, 05:16:33 »
I think what they're doing is awesome, even if the combat isn't based on the historical manuals, since it looks like they have a blast with it, and it's successful at raising funds for various causes. I think they said about 15% goes towards expenses, and the rest towards charity.

You know, its dawned on me that my earlier post about what the fighting style sounds like might appear like I'm dismissing it, so I wanted to clarify that I wasn't. I was merely remarking on what it could possibly be based on. I really do value that they are doing something fun for the profit of others. :)

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #8 on: 2008-04-11, 15:27:52 »
You know, its dawned on me that my earlier post about what the fighting style sounds like might appear like I'm dismissing it, so I wanted to clarify that I wasn't. I was merely remarking on what it could possibly be based on. I really do value that they are doing something fun for the profit of others. :)

That's  OK, I thought it was pretty clear what you meant, but you're right, it's too easy for people to misinterpret forum posts. Always good to clarify! :)

For the sake of clarity, what I wrote wasn't meant to imply that I grudgingly accept their combat style only because it's charitable. Not at all; just making observations about where it's similar and where it's not.
Sir Ed T. Toton III

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #9 on: 2008-06-02, 15:02:35 »

I found a pic of the first story I posted in this thread, and modified it into the message...

Sir Ed T. Toton III

Sir James (Fiat Lux)

• Knight of the Hearth, Knightly Order of the Fiat Lux, Charlotte Chapter
  • New Forum Member
« Reply #10 on: 2009-04-06, 14:52:03 »
At NCRF this past weekend, we saw a group called The Knightly Order of the Fiat Lux (http://www.knightlyorderofthefiatlux.org/), which is a non-profit chivalrous group that does combat demonstrations to raise money for charity, among other things.

We got to watch some of their combat, and I handed them a business card for this forum. It'll be interesting to see if any of them jump in and talk with us.

The combat looked vaguely like SCA combat, but they fight with steel and go for leg shots, so it's definitely different.

The combat is an adaptation of SCA rules, but opened up a bit. Some of the Knights have formal training, but a great deal of us are more of the brawler type. It makes for an interesting experience when coming across folks from the SCA, EMAA, former fencers, etc. It's amazing to see how quickly people adapt, and just how much of their styles get drawn into our own!

Oh, and for Sir Edward RE: doing something similar - the Fiat Lux has 4 chapters currently spread across NC and TN. If you're interested, let's talk!

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #11 on: 2009-04-06, 19:22:45 »

That's cool. I wasn't sure if your group had a specific rule-system, or if it's been more of a free-form adaptation or evolution. Bringing in a wide range of backgrounds probably makes for some interesting results.

I'm afraid NC and TN are both quite some distance for me. I'm up at the northern end of VA, probably less than 2 miles from the Potomac. Has there been any talk of a VA chapter?

Sir Ed T. Toton III

Dragonlover

« Reply #12 on: 2009-04-06, 19:25:26 »

I'm going to resurrect this thread and talk about myself. :)

Something that I haven't seen much of at the renfaires, but I enjoy doing, is letting some of the kids come up and ask me about knights and armor, and feel the chainmail and try on the helmet. I've done this in cooperation with a couple of our forumites here:

But there was one moment this past year that I'll never forget. On the day that I was at MDRF with my brand new helm and linen surcoat, I was already getting more photo-ops and attention than I typically would. One young boy and his mom came over, and asked me some questions and checked out the armor. I let the boy try on the helmet, but it was the mother doing most of the talking while the kid looked on, wide-eyed. When they were done and started to walk away, the boy looked up at his mom and said "WOW! OH.. MY.. GOD!!! WOW!!!!"  At that moment it really made my day. For one day, I was this child's hero.

Dragonlover

« Reply #13 on: 2009-04-06, 19:28:59 »
Well Sir Edward, it will do you good to know that Sir Brian and I were doing our
usual "walking forum" with the masses at NCRF this past week-end. It's a different
site and most everyone (workers and non) seem to like it immensely. Gives them a lot
of room to grow as well.
The Fiat Lux boys were there and they are always very gracious to Sir Brian and
myself. ;D

Sir James (Fiat Lux)

• Knight of the Hearth, Knightly Order of the Fiat Lux, Charlotte Chapter
  • New Forum Member
« Reply #14 on: 2009-04-06, 19:34:30 »

That's cool. I wasn't sure if your group had a specific rule-system, or if it's been more of a free-form adaptation or evolution. Bringing in a wide range of backgrounds probably makes for some interesting results.

I'm afraid NC and TN are both quite some distance for me. I'm up at the northern end of VA, probably less than 2 miles from the Potomac. Has there been any talk of a VA chapter?

We're more than willing to travel in order to start a chapter. That's how Raleigh got started, actually! So long as there's interest and a group of about 4 or 5 who have seen what we do and want to know more, we can certainly dispatch someone from our National organization to organize a get-together.

As for the rule system, we actually detail it before our fights. The basics of it is a point scoring system, with hits, sufficient force, and points determined by a head Marshal with his line judges. The fight normally goes to 7 points, with the torso being worth 3, head worth 2, and limbs worth 1.  There is, of course, the devilish Advantage rules, where the winner must lead by at least 2 points. We keep things open-ended enough so that we can tailor the fight to the combatants and the crowd. Slashes and thrusts are fine, but thrusts to the face are grounds for warnings and disqualification.

Ninja edit: I'm sorry I wasn't able to make it to the NCRF this year! I had a blast last year despite the rain, though there are stories circulating about some of our members getting coated in mud helping to dig stranded motorists out of the parking lot!