"Mistakes are always forgivable, if one has the courage to admit them."
                -- Bruce Lee

Author Topic: Swordsmanship Videos  (Read 10818 times)

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
Swordsmanship Videos
« on: 2008-08-22, 16:06:57 »

I figured I'd start a thread for youtube videos concerning swordsmanship of all kinds. What videos have you seen that you like? Which ones do you not like? Any worth discussing?

Here's one that I found a long time ago... I have no idea who this is. Is it just me or does it seem like he's working too hard? For some reason, all the noise he's making makes me chuckle. :)

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SDoJ6kZyKis[/youtube]
()

And of course, some of the ones from the previous longsword thread:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Kj4Ng6DBfrg

http://youtube.com/watch?v=HC5FIyfI8TA

Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )

Das Bill

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Acolyte
Re: Swordsmanship Videos
« Reply #1 on: 2008-08-27, 04:00:35 »
Here's a good one that was just posted on SFI by Alexander Neppl that I thought was really neat. It uses excerpts from Talhoffer combined with some period art and a video of how a person might have possibly trained to prepare for a judicial duel. I thought it was pretty original, and very well done.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7pwHK2n44OA[/youtube]

(I don't know how to embed the video directly in the forum... perhaps Ed can do it for me?)
« Last Edit: 2008-08-27, 14:17:16 by Sir Edward »
"A despondent heart will always be defeated, regardless of skill." -Master Sigmund Ringeck

Das Bill

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #2 on: 2008-08-27, 04:03:32 »
Here's one that I found a long time ago... I have no idea who this is. Is it just me or does it seem like he's working too hard? For some reason, all the noise he's making makes me chuckle. :)

FYI, that's John Clements, head of ARMA. To be fair, the video is really old by this point, so I can't really say anything negative. I'm sure I'd cringe at a video of me from many years ago, if one existed.
"A despondent heart will always be defeated, regardless of skill." -Master Sigmund Ringeck

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #3 on: 2008-08-27, 14:22:50 »
FYI, that's John Clements, head of ARMA. To be fair, the video is really old by this point, so I can't really say anything negative. I'm sure I'd cringe at a video of me from many years ago, if one existed.

I suspected that was the case. I can't really say anything negative either, truthfully :)

Here's a good one that was just posted on SFI by Alexander Neppl that I thought was really neat. It uses excerpts from Talhoffer combined with some period art and a video of how a person might have possibly trained to prepare for a judicial duel. I thought it was pretty original, and very well done.

(I don't know how to embed the video directly in the forum... perhaps Ed can do it for me?)

Wow, that was nicely done. Embedding is easy-- there's a "youtube" button to the left of the url/image buttons, so the link just gets put into "youtube" tags.

Sir Ed T. Toton III

Todd Sullivan

• New Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: 2008-10-17, 14:18:35 »
I'm at work and the military blocks youtube but maybe Bill will post his videos for you. It's good stuff.

Here is a testing video I did for a friend who makes longsword aircraft aluminum traing blunts. (longsword)   Apparently the video worked because is swamped with orders.
Lake Ontario Fechtschule

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #5 on: 2008-10-17, 18:59:59 »
I'm at work and the military blocks youtube but maybe Bill will post his videos for you. It's good stuff.

Here is a testing video I did for a friend who makes longsword aircraft aluminum traing blunts. (longsword)   Apparently the video worked because is swamped with orders.

Hmmm, I'll have to check it out later. The video just never starts loading for some reason.
Sir Ed T. Toton III

Das Bill

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #6 on: 2008-10-18, 04:59:25 »

Well, if you're talking about the step drill video I made for Jessica Finley, Ed was the one who filmed it. :) Further, he and SwordChick do such drills, and more, all the time, as they're two of my senior students.

Todd Sullivan

• New Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: 2008-10-18, 13:53:55 »
I feel stupid now. I forgot you all train together.

On another note. I talked with Allen Senefeldor for a couple hours yesterday. An idea I'm throwing around for chivalric weekend is an "Armorers and Armor Ethusiasts networking workshop" for the event. I have talked with David Edge about attending. As soon as dates are locked down I will look at funding to bring the Great Dave over. He mentioned giving a lecture on metalurgy (spelling) in relation to armor.  I'm going to send Jeff Wasson an e-mail to today.  Thoughts?
Lake Ontario Fechtschule