"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."
                -- Edmund Burke

Author Topic: Spreading Chivalry to the Public  (Read 4192 times)

Sir Sorbus

• New Forum Member
Spreading Chivalry to the Public
« on: 2012-08-21, 18:15:27 »
So, as I explained in my self-introduction thread, my order has recently begun a project to spread the notion of what we call "New Chivalry" (Which is a PR division term for "Old chivalry minus the armour and archaic speech") to people all around the world, who are not necessarily actively searching for it as would likely be those who found this site. I was actually quite amazing at how close our list of values was to the one I found on this site on the "The Code" page, considering they were completely independently developed.

So, I have outlined our goals, and the processes the public participant would require to further the goals here: http://theorderofnewchivalry.tumblr.com/

However, we met something of an obstacle; An integral part of the method suggested by the page is the idea of complete secrecy, which makes advertising the page very difficult. How does one post to it all of one's facebook friends without revealing that they are involved in a secret organisation? This wouldn't be such an issue, as we are using the alternate names, except that we have the trouble of being the first to advertise it. That is, if the four of us currently in the order all followed it and posted it to our friends, it would be kinda obvious that it was us. The only solution we could come up with (until now) was to spam randoms, which we all agreed was not an appropriate or chivalrous thing to do (so we didn't).

Now comes the part where, despite being completely new to the forum, I ask the members a favour, and offer virtual cookies as bribes. Could you please, at the very least, send the page URL to a few friends who would be interested in such an endeavour, so that the knights of the order are not the first to follow the page, thus compromising our identities? Even better would be to follow us yourselves, if any of you should have a Tumblr page. XD

From there, should you be particularly interested in helping out with the project, I can have some of those poster things to stick around the place with the little "take one" tags with our page URL, or things like that.

Alternatively (and this probably should have been the first thing I suggested), get together with a friend, or fellow knight or squire on this forum, and start your own branch, and register it with us.
The idea of each branch then branching itself, etc, leading to a logistic population function taking over the entire world spreading the concept to the whole world is what we are going for.

If we're gonna dream, we might as well dream big, right? Let's spread chivalry to the whole world! :D

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
Re: Spreading Chivalry to the Public
« Reply #1 on: 2012-08-21, 19:20:10 »

I've never used Tumblr, so I'm assuming I need to set up an account first before following it. I'll take a look.

Just one question though-- Why the secrecy? I'm just curious. Many so-called "secret societies" are only secret in that their inner workings are secret (ceremonies, meetings, etc), and not necessarily the membership. And others that are more secretive about membership are only secretive to the point of not advertising their membership, but members may talk freely about it if asked first. Rules vary quite a lot, of course. But most chivalry groups are usually pretty open about it, so I'm just curious. :)

Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #2 on: 2012-08-21, 19:59:30 »
As am I...I tend to view 'secret' societies with a bit of a jaundiced eye.  If you're looking to spread a message, keeping yourself a secret is hardly the way to go about it, in my humble opinion.
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€

Sir Sorbus

• New Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: 2012-08-21, 23:15:20 »
This is certainly a very valid point.

Take, if you will, the 9 Nannas post that has recently had its own thread. It's very easy to be a good person if you are showing off to impress people, but the real test of a man's character is in his integrity, and how he will act with the knowledge that there aren't necessarily consequences one way or another.