"The maximum use of force is in no way incompatible with the simultaneous use of the intellect."
                -- Carl Von Clausewitz

Author Topic: Coup de Groin  (Read 17267 times)

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
Re: Coup de Groin
« Reply #15 on: 2010-11-15, 15:53:10 »
Ugh. Thats really, really, REALLY, disgusting. I suddenly just lost a fair bit of respect towards ARMA also.
I do free sparring with my friends, and we even put on demos for the local middle school. If any one of them did this I would make sure it's a looong time before a sword makes it in their hands again... >:(
In my sparring, we use full body target (although pulled blows obviously, as we use steel blunts), grappling, throws, ect. We can get hurt, and I'm fine with that. In fact during one bout I didn't step back as much as I needed to from a blow and got a nice cut on the forehead for a few months. But I'm perfectly fine with that. We're practicing martially effective techniques with martially effective weapons (minus an edge). We're gonna get some bruises and such. But anything like that in inexcusable. I draw the line at groin shots, biting, and anything that could turn a simulated fight into a REAL one.

I think this is awesome...definitely a step above the usual play-acting.  I wish I had had a group of like-minded friends when I was in high school.
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #16 on: 2010-11-15, 19:04:16 »

It's never too late to start. :)
Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #17 on: 2010-11-15, 19:55:09 »
Well that's what we're doing now, aren't we?  :)

I'm excited man, excited!  No hair pulling either- that last bit's aimed at Sir Nathan's last post; no groin shots, biting- and no hair pulling.
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€

SirNathanQ

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • "Nobiscum Deus" "Libertas ad omnes civitates"
« Reply #18 on: 2010-11-16, 13:21:20 »
As I said, anything that could turn a simulated fight into a real one  ;)
And thank you for the kind words, I am blessed w/ cooperative friends who are willing to deal w/ my freak obsession.  :D
The trick is to find people who are interested in martial arts in general, but have no access to actualy joining a group or such. In fact, my main sparring partner is primarily interested in eastern martial arts.
It's quite fun for all.
I'm even working on starting a fencing club at my high school. Lets hope it goes well.
"The maximum use of force is in no way incompatible with the simultaneous use of the intellect." -Carl Von Clausewitz
"He is truly a fearless knight and secure on every side, for his soul is protected by the armor of faith just as his body is protected by armor of steel." -Saint Bernard of Clairvoux

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #19 on: 2010-11-16, 16:18:20 »
That would be awesome if you can make that happen, Nathan.

SirNathanQ

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #20 on: 2010-11-16, 20:53:37 »
I got 5 signatures on my petition, hoping for 15+. Now I just need to get a teacher to support us in our effort at being able to attack each other with weapons  ;D
Since that is what the school has an abundance of, It will have to be a primarily modern fencing program. But don't worry, Ill make sure it's saturated with historical fencing opportunities  ;)
I'd also like to find a teacher w/ a background in fencing, since I have very little experience at the modern brand.
"The maximum use of force is in no way incompatible with the simultaneous use of the intellect." -Carl Von Clausewitz
"He is truly a fearless knight and secure on every side, for his soul is protected by the armor of faith just as his body is protected by armor of steel." -Saint Bernard of Clairvoux

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #21 on: 2010-11-16, 21:25:20 »
Sounds like you've got a good idea...the teacher w/a background in fencing is key, otherwise you're just swinging away at eachother.  Fun as well, but the instruction will make it even more fun when you actually know what it is you're supposed to be doing.

SirNathanQ

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #22 on: 2010-11-17, 14:27:22 »
Yeah, I have SOME experience in modern fencing, but not alot. If push comes to shove, then I probably could do the thing myself. I know basic footwork, lunge, parries, ect, But I'd really like a teacher who knows the stuff in depth (and I can't wait to pull some Capo Ferro on a experienced modern fencer!!!!  ;) ;D  8) )