Main > The Round Table

How deferring to Women because of their sex is bad.

<< < (5/7) > >>

Ian:

--- Quote from: Sir Edward on 2012-08-02, 13:34:21 ---But I think the main point of the thread is how to treat the opposite gender. The assumption that women are automatically "weak" is not a good assumption to make. However, all human beings are deserving of respect, until they do something to no longer deserve it.

I will never strike a woman out of anger, or domination. But if one were to attack me, I would defend myself accordingly.

--- End quote ---

Well said.

SirNathanQ:
Very good post Sir Ed. While there are differences, we should treat women with the utmost respect. An act of courtesy isn't saying "You are too weak to do this", but "I respect you"

Even in a self defense situation, personally I'd personally rather not use a direct strike on a woman. 

Sir William:
Nathan, under normal circumstances, that is as it should be.  If she's armed, however, you must do whatever it takes to ensure you survive the encounter.  Hopefully so that she will, too, but you first.

Lord Dane:

--- Quote from: Sir Edward on 2012-08-02, 13:34:21 ---
Wow, I turn my back, and suddenly there's a long, interesting conversation going on. :)

Gender equality is, I think, something that has to be viewed in the right context. In terms of legal rights, privileges, and protections, and overall morality, respect, and treatment, everyone should be treated the same, regardless of gender.

But as others have pointed out, there are physical differences, as well as neurological differences. Men are predisposed toward more upper-body strength, and tend to be better at 3D spatial relationships and abstract concepts (in terms of evolution, all of these equate to better hunters). Women tend to be better at reading faces and body language, are better swimmers, and have a much more acute sense of smell.

But all of these things tend to follow a bell-curve distribution, where the male and female bell-curves mostly overlap. The averages are offset, but within the curves, probably 90% of the population fall into the same ranges regardless of gender.

But I think the main point of the thread is how to treat the opposite gender. The assumption that women are automatically "weak" is not a good assumption to make. However, all human beings are deserving of respect, until they do something to no longer deserve it.

I will never strike a woman out of anger, or domination. But if one were to attack me, I would defend myself accordingly.

--- End quote ---

Sir Edward, I am shocked. You forgot biological differences.  ::) LOL

Sir William:
And naturally, you don't strike a women just because her sex is bad.  That was the first thought I had when I read the title initially- then re-read it and realized what it actually meant.  I say it now because its funny.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version