"If you are distressed by anything external, the pain is not due to the thing itself, but to your estimate of it; and this you have the power to revoke at any moment."
                -- Marcus Aurelius (121 - 180)

Author Topic: Medieval Pavilions  (Read 45396 times)

Ian

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
Medieval Pavilions
« on: 2012-07-29, 17:49:19 »
So... I'm thinking about... just thinking mind you, about toying with the idea of possibly getting a pavilion.... 

I know nothing about them.  It seems Panther Pavilions are a reputable company to go through, and I think several of you own one from them?  Can someone give me a pavilion primer?  I've browsed their site and they have several different styles and then each has like 8 options for materials and things like that.  What should I be looking for?

The one that caught my eye was the French Double-Belled Wedge which can be seen here with a bonus canopy thingy....

What do you guys own and what do you recommend as far as coverings?  Canvas, sunforger (I have no idea what that is)... etc?  Also, when these things are fully dismantled, how much room do they take up in vehicle?
My YouTube Channel - Knyght Errant
My Pinterest

Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum

Sir Wolf

• He Who is Not to be Named
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
Re: Medieval Pavilions
« Reply #1 on: 2012-07-29, 18:02:52 »
i have a panther Geteld. i haven't had it out in years. but when i used it i loved it. super strong seems, great material. great customer service. i got to pick it up since i had a delivery near their store.

Thorsteinn

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #2 on: 2012-07-29, 18:36:34 »
What time period & place are you looking for? How much stuff are you looking to cover? Whats your price range?
Fall down seven, get up eight.

Ian

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #3 on: 2012-07-29, 19:07:17 »
What time period & place are you looking for? How much stuff are you looking to cover? Whats your price range?

Hundred Years War, England, specifically second half of the 14th Century.  I'll consider things for around $1,000 or less (not necessarily a hard limit, but not spending 2 grand on a tent...)  Big enough for 2 people and a dog to sleep.

The photo I linked is around $600 for the tent itself and another $300 or so for the canopy... I'm assuming that includes the poles but I don't know for certain.  Price varies depending on material used.
My Pinterest

Sir Wolf

• He Who is Not to be Named
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
« Reply #4 on: 2012-07-29, 20:08:37 »
i made my own poles. are you thinking of the ground skirting or ground cloth? i did not get either as the skirting isn't something i think is really period. but to each his own, it does help with rain and ground water, and wind too comign around the edges, I just packed straw on teh inside edge as well as diggin a trench around the outside edge when i thought it was going to rain. i've always liked the double bell wedge. classic look. i think you'll be happy with it.

Sir Gerard de Rodes

• "Chivalry our Strength, Brotherhood our sword"
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Robor meum Deus
    • The Freemen Of Gwent
« Reply #5 on: 2012-07-29, 20:32:59 »
We have a standard sized Bergundian style tent from a company called Past Tents.

Photo`s of the outside and inside can be found in our photobucket album here;

http://s230.photobucket.com/albums/ee200/JOBO_028/Whittington%20Castle%202012/?action=view&current=DSCF6171.jpg

G.
"War is at first like a beautiful girl with whom all men long to play,but in the end like a repulsive hag whose suitors all weep and ache" Samuel Hanagid (993-1056)

Ian

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #6 on: 2012-07-29, 21:10:56 »
We have a standard sized Bergundian style tent from a company called Past Tents.

Photo`s of the outside and inside can be found in our photobucket album here;

http://s230.photobucket.com/albums/ee200/JOBO_028/Whittington%20Castle%202012/?action=view&current=DSCF6171.jpg

G.

A most impressive set up Sir Gerard!  Beautiful!
My Pinterest

Sir Patrick

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Nex pro inhonesto, Deus pro totus.
    • The Order of the Marshal
« Reply #7 on: 2012-07-29, 22:58:46 »
Wow!
Gules, a chevron argent between three cinquefoils ermine.
"Better to live one day as a lion, than a thousand as a lamb."
Knight, Order of the Marshal

SirNathanQ

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • "Nobiscum Deus" "Libertas ad omnes civitates"
« Reply #8 on: 2012-07-30, 11:54:05 »
Nice encampment!  :)
"The maximum use of force is in no way incompatible with the simultaneous use of the intellect." -Carl Von Clausewitz
"He is truly a fearless knight and secure on every side, for his soul is protected by the armor of faith just as his body is protected by armor of steel." -Saint Bernard of Clairvoux

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #9 on: 2012-07-30, 14:10:20 »
As with most of Sir Gerard's posts, I must say I'm a bit envious. :)

I have a Panther Regent on order, so I can't say anything from personal experience, but I can say that I ordered from them based on other people's personal experiences. They said my order will be 6-7 weeks to complete, so the "time clock is ticking" for DoK.

Somewhere in the full catalog is a description of the different materials. I went with the cheaper non-flame retardant one since I'm not a smoker and nobody will be smoking in my tent, and I won't have any live fires in it, either. It also mentions the flame retardancy fades over time, and with the "couple times a year" use the tent will probably see, it was extra cost I couldn't justify.
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent

Lord Dane

• The Hound, Hunter, and Hammer of Justice
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Selflessness, Service, Justice.
« Reply #10 on: 2012-07-30, 16:04:23 »
Very impressive setup, Sir Gerard. Hoping to make mine as impressive in look. Soon enough. :)
"Fides, Honos, Prudentia, Sapiencia" (Faith, Honor, Prudence, Wisdom)
"Fiat justitia ruat caelum" (Let justice be done)

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #11 on: 2012-07-30, 17:35:29 »
I have a 12'x15' Marquee rectangular.

They do offer a lot of options on these. Sunforger is just a marketing name for some of the UV protecting canvas treatments they use. It's worth getting them with fire retardant and UV resistant treatments, so they hold up for a very long time. But something to keep in mind also is that some people use their tents heavily, leaving them up for several months each year. Having one for events only, I would suspect that even the cheaper canvas options would hold up well. I'm not sure which mine had, but I think it was one of Sungforger + flame retardant options (probably the $1200 one). We got ours used, so we got a pretty good deal on it.

The price you see on the price sheets for the various canvases is just for the canvas. The pole/rope-package is a separate price on that line.

They also give you a choice of trim/dags, height, and whether the walls will have slant to them. Slant isn't a big deal, though it gives you a little extra storage space around the edges that you won't be tripping over as much.

I recommend going with the 7' height on these, but 6' is just fine. The extra foot keeps you from having to duck through the openings.

In terms of packing them up in a car, the hardest part is the poles. Since I have a 6' bed inn my truck, and the poles are 7', I have to pack them diagonally. It has 14 vertical poles for the sides, and the center poles (two upright and a cross-beam) each are two-section poles, so those pieces are shorter. The canvas is bulky, but folds up and can be stuffed anywhere.

You can see some photos of my tent and my truck packing at the following links, but I don't think I took any good shots of just the tent in the truck bed by itself:

http://ed.toton.org/cgi-bin/gallery.pl?g=2006.pennsic

http://ed.toton.org/cgi-bin/gallery.pl?g=2008.pennsic

This shot shows the tent packed with a bunch of other stuff behind it:

Laid out:

Assembled:

« Last Edit: 2012-07-30, 17:40:10 by Sir Edward »
Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )

Sir Gerard de Rodes

• "Chivalry our Strength, Brotherhood our sword"
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Robor meum Deus
    • The Freemen Of Gwent
« Reply #12 on: 2012-07-30, 18:11:02 »
Thanks for your comments, although there is still alot I want to do with the tent, when are these things ever finished  ::)

I do like the marquee type like Sir Eds as they have alot more useable wall hanging space. When I hang things, such as drapes, against the wall in my Bergundian I have to secure the base so they follow the slope of the sides of the tent.  :P

I would suggest Sir Ian, if you can stretch the budget, get something bigger than the wedge tent shown, as I`m sure you would soon grow out of it  ;)
Thick, fire retardent and water proofed canvas is the way to go.
I would also go for split poles for easy transport.

Past Tents do some really nice wedge/campaign tents and pavillions in allsorts of sizes. Check out thier website for inspiration;
http://www.pasttents.com/

There are also a few European companies doing similar tents for a lower budget.

G.
"War is at first like a beautiful girl with whom all men long to play,but in the end like a repulsive hag whose suitors all weep and ache" Samuel Hanagid (993-1056)

Ian

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #13 on: 2012-07-30, 22:53:53 »
Thank you all for the information.  Sir Ed, thanks for all the photos of the tent packed and assembled etc.  How long does it take you to set up a tent like that?  Is it even realistically possible for me to get my hands on a tent prior to early October for Days of Knights?  Are these things that are 'stocked' or are they all made to order? Oh, and do you have a floor for your tent?
« Last Edit: 2012-07-30, 23:39:38 by Ian »
My Pinterest

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #14 on: 2012-07-31, 03:13:31 »
I'm not sure if they stock them, but I think they stock at least some, since they set up a booth at pennsic and you can buy nearly everything there (just not sure about the canvas parts). I'd contact them and ask.

With two people, it takes us a good 20-30 minutes, maybe. I'm guessing. I've never timed it. With 4 people it's a lot easier, and can be done in under 20 I think. At most events you can usually grab a few people to help hold poles straight while you put it up.

For a "floor", what we do is put down a plastic tarp, and cover it with rugs. We have a set of 4 rugs that just about perfectly cover the area inside.
Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )