Main > The Round Table

A Call to Arms for Decent Men

<< < (2/2)

Sir James A:
I don't do any online gaming any more, except with friends, and even that's limited due to outside interests and lack of time. I agree with almost everything in the article. Potentially, everything. There might be some truth to the "It's always been like this" part of the smack talking.

When I was a kid, like the majority of kids, I had friends, and I had great friends. The great friends were the ones I saw the most, their parents knew me, my parents knew them, and rainbows and unicorns and all that. But when the game started - it was on. Smack talking, "Dude, you suck!", "We're gonna stomp all over you", "New champions of the world!", "Not even a challenge!" - that all came out.

The biggest difference is that it was *amongst* ourselves, and not us ganging up on others. We didn't pick on women. We didn't even have any to game with. It was only "couch co-op" during my youth. But the smack talk applied to all competitions - not just gaming, but wrestling, football, basketball, tennis, dodgeball - and then after the game was over, we'd go hang out and eat. It was kind of a "bonding" thing. There was no malicious intent, it was just atmosphere with the game.

And of course, no anonymity. If you said something over the line with couch co-op, somebody was right next to you to punch you in the face. Yet, never once, did that ever happen with us.

SirNathanQ:
Yeah, that kinda multiplayer is fun. I am objectively terrible with console FPS games and I have fun when playing with friends, right there. Even though they destroy my character at least 95% of the time. Although it does get funny when a game of Halo turns into a wrestling match.  ;)

Sir Wolf:
... this one time at band camp

Sir William:

--- Quote from: SirNathanQ on 2012-07-28, 03:12:57 ---Yeah, it sucks that the Argonians, Bosmer and Khajiht are always being hounded out by racist Nord townsfolk! Nords, unite and tell those immature boys that-       

--- End quote ---

Funny you should mention that; I took offense to that as well...I thought it ironic that my Nord character would frequently target Stormcloak outposts and patrols, even though I was 'on their side' so to speak.  lol

SirNathanQ:

--- Quote from: Sir William on 2012-07-31, 15:40:00 ---
--- Quote from: SirNathanQ on 2012-07-28, 03:12:57 ---Yeah, it sucks that the Argonians, Bosmer and Khajiht are always being hounded out by racist Nord townsfolk! Nords, unite and tell those immature boys that-       

--- End quote ---

Funny you should mention that; I took offense to that as well...I thought it ironic that my Nord character would frequently target Stormcloak outposts and patrols, even though I was 'on their side' so to speak.  lol

--- End quote ---

Oh I know, my High Elf mage is leading a one-elf genocide against the Thalmor....  ;D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version