"If you are distressed by anything external, the pain is not due to the thing itself, but to your estimate of it; and this you have the power to revoke at any moment."
                -- Marcus Aurelius (121 - 180)

Author Topic: A Call to Arms for Decent Men  (Read 7538 times)

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
A Call to Arms for Decent Men
« on: 2012-07-26, 19:31:08 »

This article is specifically talking about online gaming communities, but contains some good points for any social community in general.

There really is an ugly sub-culture that has developed within online gaming, and it may be more pervasive than that. Boys need to grow up, and being a real man means acting with dignity and respect toward everyone.

A Call to Arms for Decent Men
http://makemeasammich.org/2012/07/26/a-call-to-arms-for-decent-men/
Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
Re: A Call to Arms for Decent Men
« Reply #1 on: 2012-07-26, 21:51:24 »
It is rare that I play anything online these days...I got tired of those little shits in Quake3:Arena, Counterstrike, and Unreal Tournament (the only three games I played on PC in recent memory, online anyway)...they hacked, cheated, talked a load of crap and annoyed me and fellow players tremendously.

It isn't so bad in the console community (although admittedly, there are far fewer female players in Call of Duty than in other, more friendly franchises, like the Sims) but I'm not the dominant presence online I may have once been.  I don't have the patience for it- besides, the few girls I did run into on CoD invariably killed me many more times than I ever killed them; they were good. 

I was initially going to comment that the 'callout' might be a tad bit much, til I got to thinking that just because I haven't seen it doesn't mean it doesn't happen.  I read up on Anita Sarkeesian...while I do like my lusty, busty video game babes, I'm not against what she's trying to do, to eliminate the obvious sex-oriented characterizations of women in video games...I just hope they don't get rid of all of it.  All kidding aside, the author makes some good points, but we no longer live in a society where outside influence upon children is welcomed.  For my part, I never had a problem with someone upbraiding one of my daughters if it was called for- but many parents are not of the same mind.  For a lot of them, you can't even look as if you have something to say before the parents are up in arms threatening bodily harm.  It sounds funny, especially when you read it, but I have seen this in action.

The kid could be dead wrong but as far as the parent is concerned, her angelic little boy didn't do it despite the evidence and no one has a right to say anything about the matter.  In certain areas I have lived in the past, it could get you dragged out into the street and pummeled.  I totally get why adults have muttered 'those damned kids' under their breath when I was young; not necessarily about me (although, sometimes, it was) - I not only get it, but have discovered that I'm prone to saying it too!

All that to say, if I catch some young assholes giving a girl or girls a hard time in-game I'll be sure to let'm have it, for all the good it will do.  The anonymity of online gaming allows these little shits a lot of leeway...at least, for now.  I like the author's idea of pay-for-play subscriptions having a clause that will penalize a gamer for such misconduct- I only hope there's an adequate pool of researchers who can verify such claims so that we don't have any girls crying wolf simply for some gratuitous get-back.
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€

Thorsteinn

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #2 on: 2012-07-26, 22:09:01 »
 I've not seen this as a problem except for one guy. He doesn't hate women, he loves them but is still fairly immature. I finally had it when he started screaming at the GM while sitting next to me. I told him that if he screamed in my ear at the GM one more time at the gaming table I was going break his knee.

He stopped after that.  ;D
« Last Edit: 2012-07-26, 22:10:24 by Thorsteinn »
Fall down seven, get up eight.

SirNathanQ

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • "Nobiscum Deus" "Libertas ad omnes civitates"
« Reply #3 on: 2012-07-28, 03:12:57 »
Yeah, it sucks that the Argonians, Bosmer and Khajiht are always being hounded out by racist Nord townsfolk! Nords, unite and tell those immature boys that-       

Wait a minute here, this is for multiplayer games, isn't it? Didn't know it had gotten that bad. Well, mark up another reason Nathan isn't keen on talking to the shrieking 10 year old collective mind that is multiplayer...

Though seriously I wouldn't mind something like this. I don't care if it takes putting a piece of Eden into orbit, stop the sexist munchkin horde!  :o
"The maximum use of force is in no way incompatible with the simultaneous use of the intellect." -Carl Von Clausewitz
"He is truly a fearless knight and secure on every side, for his soul is protected by the armor of faith just as his body is protected by armor of steel." -Saint Bernard of Clairvoux

Bernarr

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: 2012-07-28, 04:25:47 »
I'm with Sir William on this, I only play on private servers when I play Counterstrike anymore. It's not so bad in Eve if you stay out of Minmatar space, mostly shrieking kids there. Since I am based out of Amarr space, I don't run into the idiots as much. Other than that, I don't play many multiplayer games anymore unless it's to try them out or if friends say I should give it a shot.

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #5 on: 2012-07-30, 16:11:29 »
I don't do any online gaming any more, except with friends, and even that's limited due to outside interests and lack of time. I agree with almost everything in the article. Potentially, everything. There might be some truth to the "It's always been like this" part of the smack talking.

When I was a kid, like the majority of kids, I had friends, and I had great friends. The great friends were the ones I saw the most, their parents knew me, my parents knew them, and rainbows and unicorns and all that. But when the game started - it was on. Smack talking, "Dude, you suck!", "We're gonna stomp all over you", "New champions of the world!", "Not even a challenge!" - that all came out.

The biggest difference is that it was *amongst* ourselves, and not us ganging up on others. We didn't pick on women. We didn't even have any to game with. It was only "couch co-op" during my youth. But the smack talk applied to all competitions - not just gaming, but wrestling, football, basketball, tennis, dodgeball - and then after the game was over, we'd go hang out and eat. It was kind of a "bonding" thing. There was no malicious intent, it was just atmosphere with the game.

And of course, no anonymity. If you said something over the line with couch co-op, somebody was right next to you to punch you in the face. Yet, never once, did that ever happen with us.
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent

SirNathanQ

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #6 on: 2012-07-31, 02:04:03 »
Yeah, that kinda multiplayer is fun. I am objectively terrible with console FPS games and I have fun when playing with friends, right there. Even though they destroy my character at least 95% of the time. Although it does get funny when a game of Halo turns into a wrestling match.  ;)
"The maximum use of force is in no way incompatible with the simultaneous use of the intellect." -Carl Von Clausewitz
"He is truly a fearless knight and secure on every side, for his soul is protected by the armor of faith just as his body is protected by armor of steel." -Saint Bernard of Clairvoux

Sir Wolf

• He Who is Not to be Named
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
« Reply #7 on: 2012-07-31, 02:33:00 »
... this one time at band camp

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #8 on: 2012-07-31, 15:40:00 »
Yeah, it sucks that the Argonians, Bosmer and Khajiht are always being hounded out by racist Nord townsfolk! Nords, unite and tell those immature boys that-       

Funny you should mention that; I took offense to that as well...I thought it ironic that my Nord character would frequently target Stormcloak outposts and patrols, even though I was 'on their side' so to speak.  lol
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€

SirNathanQ

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #9 on: 2012-08-01, 09:02:04 »

Funny you should mention that; I took offense to that as well...I thought it ironic that my Nord character would frequently target Stormcloak outposts and patrols, even though I was 'on their side' so to speak.  lol

Oh I know, my High Elf mage is leading a one-elf genocide against the Thalmor....  ;D