"Our own heart, and not other men's opinion, forms our true honor."
                -- Samuel Taylor Coleridge

Author Topic: Greathelm & Bascinet. Fought in one?  (Read 4264 times)

Thorsteinn

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
Greathelm & Bascinet. Fought in one?
« on: 2012-07-25, 06:05:25 »
I love the look of the pembridge helm and it got me thinking. Has anyone here ever fought in the period combo of bascinet/cervelliere & greathelm? What was your experience?

-Torsteinn
Fall down seven, get up eight.

Sir Gerard de Rodes

• "Chivalry our Strength, Brotherhood our sword"
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Robor meum Deus
    • The Freemen Of Gwent
Re: Greathelm & Bascinet. Fought in one?
« Reply #1 on: 2012-07-25, 10:06:31 »
I did it once.............. Never again !!!
G.
"War is at first like a beautiful girl with whom all men long to play,but in the end like a repulsive hag whose suitors all weep and ache" Samuel Hanagid (993-1056)

Lord Dane

• The Hound, Hunter, and Hammer of Justice
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Selflessness, Service, Justice.
Re: Greathelm & Bascinet. Fought in one?
« Reply #2 on: 2012-07-25, 14:48:03 »
I love the look of the pembridge helm and it got me thinking. Has anyone here ever fought in the period combo of bascinet/cervelliere & greathelm? What was your experience?

-Torsteinn

I fight full-armored combat in nothing but Pembridge style (Love them!!). Fits perfectly & great protection. Great helms are too loose. Visiblity is limited but opponent is always forward-facing anyways. Breathing holes are acceptable in mine. Good ventilation. Of course, you get better in an armet style but my persona is not that time-period. I wear armor padding, maille coif & top it with a Macho-Man padded headgear (open-faced) with velcro chin-strap. Pembridge style is nice & snug with that combo and takes all the headaches away from aluminum wasters hitting it.

Pembridge-style is good for later Crusader-era, or 13/14th Medieval French and/or English persona knight looks. Works good for any monastic-order knights as well mixed with maille & proper padding.
« Last Edit: 2012-07-25, 15:04:54 by Lord_Dane »
"Fides, Honos, Prudentia, Sapiencia" (Faith, Honor, Prudence, Wisdom)
"Fiat justitia ruat caelum" (Let justice be done)