"The elevator to success is out of order. You'll have to use the stairs... one step at a time."
                -- Joe Girard

Author Topic: Hails from Michigan!  (Read 13708 times)

Sir Wolf

• He Who is Not to be Named
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
Re: Hails from Michigan!
« Reply #15 on: 2012-07-17, 11:35:24 »
WOW i sure wished more people in Dag looked like your kit. that is great!! you stand out head and shoulders better than 99% i kid you not. good job. can't wait to see it after you get all your pieces together that you want in the future!

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #16 on: 2012-07-17, 13:59:02 »

I absolutely love the matching ailettes and surcoat!
Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )

Ian

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #17 on: 2012-07-17, 14:05:06 »
Your kit has a real polished and complete look that many seem to be missing.  It's very coherent and looks amazing to boot!
My YouTube Channel - Knyght Errant
My Pinterest

Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #18 on: 2012-07-17, 19:36:47 »
Your kit has a real polished and complete look that many seem to be missing.  It's very coherent and looks amazing to boot!

Agreed!
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent

SirNathanQ

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • "Nobiscum Deus" "Libertas ad omnes civitates"
« Reply #19 on: 2012-07-18, 05:08:27 »

Agreed!

Motion Seconded!

BTW, welcome to the forums.  :)
"The maximum use of force is in no way incompatible with the simultaneous use of the intellect." -Carl Von Clausewitz
"He is truly a fearless knight and secure on every side, for his soul is protected by the armor of faith just as his body is protected by armor of steel." -Saint Bernard of Clairvoux

Sir Siegfried

• Knight of the Laurels
  • New Forum Member
« Reply #20 on: 2012-07-18, 05:44:53 »
Thanks!

Sir Wolf, as far as other Dag players go, it's true... Looking good is not a high priority to most. My unit and maybe a few others are really pushing for increased garb and armor standards in the game. The problem isn't in the rules, which actually lay out a pretty nice set of expectations (in some ways, more stringent than the SCA), but in the lack of enforcement. This year at Ragnarok, a member of my unit was involved in a movement called Garb Gates. Essentially, every fighter had to pass through a gauntlet of prying eyes before they could take the field, and any rules violations were called out, and offenders were sent back to camp to either pout or fix the offending article. It worked ok, but it lost some steam as the week wore on.

Sirs Edward and Ian, thanks! I'm definitely partial to using my heraldry on every applicable piece of my gear. My shield has the same image, embossed into the foam, but it seems to be curving out of the way those in photos. As for the cohesiveness of my kit, I've managed that through proper planning, making nearly all of it myself (helmet excluded), and resisting the ever-present urge to scrap everything and start over. If I want a piece for the kit, I make it, and I do so for THIS KIT! Not a future kit, not the 2.0 version, this one.

Having all of the basics done with and sticking with the character has really allowed me to work on the bells and whistles. The ailettes were my favorite addition so far. Who would have thought that tying some painted leather rectangles to my shoulders would have such a vast affect on the look of the whole kit? They're just water-hardened and -formed 12oz leather, painted and sealed.  Too many of the people I play Dag with are constantly aborting ideas for kits after making 1 or 2 pieces of it. The end result is that they have a LOT of time and money sitting unused at home while they run around in their 4th crappy kit of the year.

But it does help that there are maybe 3 of us that are very dedicated to bettering our looks and those of our friends, and we can all make use of each other's skill set. And I'm not ashamed to admit that I often rely on my mother's sewing abilities as well!

Here's a better shot of the shield from an unarmored day of fighting (it was over 90 and 50% humidity the entirety of Ragnarok), and a picture of my belt, which has our unit's motto, "Arise, ye loyal sons" spelled out in hand-made acid-etched brass mounts.
« Last Edit: 2012-07-18, 05:45:48 by Sir Siegfried »
Per pale purpure and argent, a laurel wreath countercharged.

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #21 on: 2012-07-18, 13:30:18 »
Siegfried, I envy you your discipline.  Can't tell you how many armor projects I scrapped because one or another thing didn't suit me quite the way I wanted it to.  Still...it is all about fun and I've had loads of it thus far.  Your kit is well put together...nicely done.
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€

Sir Patrick

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Nex pro inhonesto, Deus pro totus.
    • The Order of the Marshal
« Reply #22 on: 2012-07-18, 17:57:02 »
Your kit is really sharp. Love the ailettes!
Gules, a chevron argent between three cinquefoils ermine.
"Better to live one day as a lion, than a thousand as a lamb."
Knight, Order of the Marshal

Lord Dane

• The Hound, Hunter, and Hammer of Justice
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Selflessness, Service, Justice.
« Reply #23 on: 2012-07-18, 19:25:16 »
I believe we are all-together agreed. Sir Siegfried, you have a unique & authentic look. A very well-done kit concept to match your persona. We all welcome you to the forum & your input.

I did my kit from scratch as well until I had the look that matched not just my family history/heraldry but my real-life persona as well. Again, your kit is well-done.   
"Fides, Honos, Prudentia, Sapiencia" (Faith, Honor, Prudence, Wisdom)
"Fiat justitia ruat caelum" (Let justice be done)

Sir Siegfried

• Knight of the Laurels
  • New Forum Member
« Reply #24 on: 2012-07-18, 23:03:36 »
Thanks again, everyone!
Per pale purpure and argent, a laurel wreath countercharged.