Main > The Round Table

Robin Hood: Knightly?

<< < (5/6) > >>

Justin:
While the idea of stealing from the wealthy to give to those in need is romantic and all, it doesn't change the fact that he was stealing. Being rich does not make you a bad person by default. If you worked hard to become rich, then you earned it. Having your money stolen just because, is unfair. I may sound cold in saying this, due to the fact that he was giving what he stole to the poor, but in the end, Robin Hood was a thief and a criminal.

Thorsteinn:

--- Quote from: Justin on 2015-07-04, 18:08:34 ---.... but in the end, Robin Hood was a thief and a criminal.

--- End quote ---

And given that laws change and vary from place to place, what was once illegal stops being so, nor has following the law and abstaining from stealing been a requirement for being a Knight (*cough* Sir John Hawkwood *cough*), this still doesn't give your answer "Was Robin Hood Knightly?".

"Base your morals on Laws and your going to have a bad time... or be very very Roman"

Justin:
Ultimately, no. I don't think he was knightly. I do not believe that he upheld knightly virtues. Stealing, regardless of from whom, is not justice. Giving what you stole away is not generosity, it remains theft. So, my answer is no.

Thorsteinn:

--- Quote from: Justin on 2015-07-05, 06:22:14 ---Ultimately, no. I don't think he was knightly. I do not believe that he upheld knightly virtues. Stealing, regardless of from whom, is not justice. Giving what you stole away is not generosity, it remains theft. So, my answer is no.

--- End quote ---

Is not taking by force of arms a type of theft? So therefore the Crusades, the 100 Years War, and many Tournaments are Criminal and not Knightly.

Theft, stealing, is point of view based. In Robins eyes he was not stealing but recovering for the people. He was returning to right what had been taken immorally from the poor.

Justin:
So, does that imply that 100% of the people that Robin Hood stole from, obtained all of their wealth through completely immoral means from the poor? That they deserved to have their money forcefully taken from them and given away? I find that hard to believe. I feel as though if a modern day Robin Hood were to arise, and steal money from major corporations and other rich people, even if they did give it away, they wouldn't be looked on as a knight, but rather as a criminal who was doing wrong.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version