Main > The Round Table

Which one do you think you are?

(1/7) > >>

Cavaliere di Fiore:
These are my personal definitions for the kinds of martial artists there are in the world. If you find yourself akin to one, go ahead and say so. If you have questions or comments on it please feel free to discuss them.

The Definition of a “Fighter”

A fighter is not necessarily a man who fights, which is quite ironic in and of itself. A fighter can simply be a man who tries his best no matter what the odds to express the ideals which he has come to believe, or protect the life he has chosen to lead. The man could have never swung his fist or fired a gun or thrust with a sword ever before in his life, but if it meant the difference between his or his loved ones well being and death he would gladly accept the challenge and defend his or his families honor.

I suppose a good way of saying it is “A fighter is a peace-loving man that does not baulk at the thought of violence in extreme circumstances in order to keep his peace.”

The Definition of a Warrior

A warrior is a man who fights. A man in whos soul burns the will to conquer or be conquered. A warrior does not fight because it is right or wrong, because it is what needs to be done. No. A warrior fights because he can, and doesn’t stop until the fighting is done. He does not care for victory, or country, or chivalry, he cares for the blood in his mouth, the cries of death around him, and the racing of his heart as he takes anothers life.

The Definition of a Scholar

A scholar is a man who can fight but decides not to. Whether it be because they think themselves superior; that they are above such monstrous activities, or inferior; that they do not measure up to the skill and passion of combat, scholars determine themselves to be apart. In my experience they are not. A man who fancies himself superior simply does not have the physical strength to partake in the activity, and is therefore resigned to using his mind to solve the problems of the body. A man who fancies himself inferior does not have the confidence or will to fight though he may possess the physical ability to.

Scholars confound me somewhat, as by their very nature they are apart from the norm of humanity. It is in our blood to solve problems by physical means. It shows how brave we are, as well as how strong and skilled we are, and through these three things it gives a hint of how intelligent we are as well. Scholars use intelligence in order to make themselves seem more skilled than they are, and attempt to threaten those with strength with their intelligence to prove their bravery, while never actually using physical means to solve their problems. A very underhanded trick in my opinion.

The Definition of an Artist

An artist is a man who fights for the sake of his humanity. He may not need to fight, but he does in order to express the basic things that all of us humans are made of. We are blood, we are muscle, we are quick thinking and ever learning., situations are ours to ponder and understand in a split secound. An artist is a man who looks at the Warrior and thinks “This is the pinnacle of human existence,” but understands that he cannot force himself to be one.

When an artist looks at a man fighting, or is himself fighting, he tries to understand, to soak in all of the facts of the battle. The heat of the air, the sweat on his brow, the strength of his opponent, every limbs position, every weakness, every strength. But he never actually thinks of any of these things, they glide across his consciousness, as if looking at a sand storm from inside a glass bubble. But as a break in the storm forms, all things become clear in the artists mind, and he bursts forth from his imprisonment and strikes the perfect strike.

The artist sees his art in all things, he feels it in the lifting of a box, the singing of a bird, the cry of a child. All things are his art, and the artist is a part of all things.

But it is even more then that. A fight to an artist is the essence of understanding between two people. In the moment when he and his opponent are engaged, they understand one another perfectly, and in that understanding they feel a connection which from that moment forth is impossible to break.

An artist treats every person he meets in a way that is compatible with their art.

And finally, in the artists mind understanding comes from observation and experimentation, and he is not satisfied until the experimentation derives results that can be used to expand and improve his art.

Sir Edward:
Using your list, I'd probably be somewhere between fighter and scholar, with some artist thrown in, except I don't agree with the definition of scholar. I don't see it as underhanded to use smarts, and I'm not sure why you're making it out to be nothing but arrogance. In fact, knowing when to fight, and when not to, is just as important as understanding the mechanics and tactics of a fight. Knowledge doesn't automatically equate to conceit.

Sir James A:
By these definitions exactly as they are, definitely 'fighter', down to the letter.

However, under 'regular' definitions, I'd have to also claim scholar - not in the mental aspect of battle, but in that I'm much more interested in the historical, researching and re-living aspect.

Sir Brian:
I actually do not agree with any of your prescribed definitions on several points, however since the definitions are limiting the perspective to quantify types of martial artists I’ll go along for the sake of the discussion.

In accordance with your definitions, I consider myself to have been all four types of martial artist in various periods of my lifetime. It has literally been decades since I possessed a ‘warrior’ mentality but I consider that category to be the basest of them all. I am most inclined to the ‘fighter’ and the least to the ‘artist’ as we are talking about martial arts (i.e. life and death combat) I see nothing about the potential of taking a life romantic in the least. If you meant your definitions to be applicable to training only then they are truly just academic after all.

Scholars have figured out the true battle begins and ends in the mind. Bravery, ferocity, strength, dexterity and stamina are all important attributes to enhance one’s skill no matter what the martial art and are typically enough to see one through, however they are all still calculable and therefore can be substantially suppressed or outright nullified by what you have labeled as ‘underhanded tricks’ and ultimately isn't it the true purpose of martial arts to preserve your life?

Cavaliere di Fiore:
Sir Edward,
I do not mean a man who chooses not to fight sometimes, and other times deems it necessary, I mean specifically a man who decides that he will not fight, whether it be because of fear or superiority. I fancy myself a bit of a scholar when speaking of the actual definition of the word, but when it comes to these personal definitions I find men who hide behind books and never test their knowledge to be cowardly. They are men who would teach others that which they have never done, and never practiced. Things that they couldn't know, but expect others to understand through their explanation. In other words "Every man has a plan until they get punched in the face, then all thought goes out the window and pure training kicks in." These men do not train, they...suppose.

Mr. James,
Very good.

Sir Brian,
I would be more then happy to further clarify each of these in order to dissuade or solidify your beliefs if you have specific questions.

You and I obviously think differently, though, as I believe taking anothers life is the ultimate form of romance (in the classical term of the word of course). Two men meeting in mortal combat to decide an issue by the point of their swords, the speed of their daggers, and the force of their hands have already accepted the fact that they will kill the man with which they have this disagreement. There is nothing left in them but solid resolve. The two men come onto the field as equals with singular vision, and they both have nothing left to say. It is the epitome of black versus white, of the clash of ideas, it is man boiled down to his baser self. We are animals, but we fight as intelligent beings. I think that is quite romantic.

Also, as stated above, Scholars by my definition do not fight at all. They do not understand what they are studying, they are just studying. They have no practical experience, no resolve or drive to win, they just think they know, think they are right, think they are better swordsman because they have read a book.

And no, the true purpose of Martial Arts is to kill others, as given evidence by the name which I am sure you know derives from Mars the god of War in the Roman Pantheon, not the god of Defense which I am pretty sure there is none. I do not mean to sound combative when I say that by the way, I know the internet can make certain things seem more vehement than others.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version