"War is at first like a beautiful girl with whom all men long to play, but in the end like a repulsive hag whose suitors all weep and ache."
                -- Samuel Hanagid (993-1056)

Author Topic: "The Tale of Sir Palidor and the Monster of Sunlaws Ridge"  (Read 17770 times)

Lord Dane

• The Hound, Hunter, and Hammer of Justice
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Selflessness, Service, Justice.
Re: "The Tale of Sir Palidor and the Monster of Sunlaws Ridge"
« Reply #30 on: 2012-07-21, 19:23:23 »
Interesting Sir John.
"Fides, Honos, Prudentia, Sapiencia" (Faith, Honor, Prudence, Wisdom)
"Fiat justitia ruat caelum" (Let justice be done)

Sir John of Felsenbau

• Sir John of Felsenbau (Ritter Johann von Felsenbau)
  • Forum Follower
« Reply #31 on: 2012-07-21, 20:30:24 »
ACT 4:
   SCENE 1: Exterior of Roxburgh Manor, super imposed: “The Next Morning”
   SCENE 2: Inside the Manor House… The two knights sitting at the table     

(Sir Palidor knocks and enters the room.)

Sir Fachnan: Now who might you be?

Sir Palidor: You sent for me…I’m Sir Palidor from Edinburgh…

(Sir Palidor hands him his card…CU of card in hand)

Sir Fachnan: How was your trip here? Would you like something to drink?

Sir Palidor: Did you have me come here to pass the time of day or talk business?

Sir Fachnan: Well, fine. Direct and to the point. You're the kind of man I like.

Sir Palidor: I can't say the same… You say you have a problem with a so-called Ogre?

Sir Fachnan: The Ogre is real; it’s no idle story!

Sir Palidor: Let's hear the suspicions. I will look after the proofs.

Sir Iestyn: We’ve had this problem for quite some time…some kind of creature is killing our sheep…we may be next!

Sir Palidor: Sometimes human places create inhuman monsters.

Sir Fachnan: We didn’t create it…go see for yourself.

Sir Palidor: Things are not always what they seem; the first appearance deceives many; the intelligence of a few perceives what has been carefully hidden. Now where can I find this Ogre?

Sir Fachnan: Come with me and I’ll show you the path…just follow it and the Ogre will find you!

Sir Iestyn: You want several of us to come with you?

Sir Palidor: Local aid is always worthless or else biased.

Sir Palidor and Sir Fachnan leave

FADE OUT – FADE IN

ACT 5:
   SCENE 1: LS of Sunlaws Ridge.
   SCENE 2: In the woods, the two knights on a trail.

Sir Fachnan: The trail starts here…before too long, you’ll find it. I hope you’re as good with a sword as you say you are…that Ogre has defeated all our knights that have tried to kill it.

Sir Palidor: An Ogre that’s good with a sword? Doesn’t that seem strange to you?

Sir Fachnan: You’ll see there are a lot of strange things going on around here. And make sure you kill it…for the good of the town!

Sir Palidor: Heaven help us what men do in the name of good.

Sir Fachnan leaves, Sir Palidor continues on the trail

FADE OUT…FADE IN

SCENE 3: Another section of the trail. The Ogre jumps out and draws his swords.

Sir Palidor: Now hold it right there! I’m NOT a threat to you…see, my sword is NOT drawn. Can you speak?

Ogre: Yes…what do you want?

Sir Palidor: All I want to do is talk to you.

Ogre: It better not be a trick…I’m quite good with these swords.

Sir Palidor: its no trick…all I want to do is talk…my name’s Palidor, what’s yours?

Ogre: My name is Sir Iestyn of Roxburgh.

Sir Palidor: I just came from there, there’s a knight with the same name.

Ogre: That’s my son.

Sir Palidor: Does he know that you’re here…who you are?

Ogre: No…we never had the chance to talk. I’m sure that he thought I was dead of the plaque. A few years ago I took a group of knights to attack the English at Durham, but the plague met us there and most of my men died...I was one of the few that didn’t. A family took me in and nursed me until I was well enough to travel… But you see what the plague has done to me...When I reached Roxburgh, they thought I was some kind of monster or Ogre and wouldn’t let me near and they tried to kill me...I took refuge in this cave and with the lack of wild game; I had to kill their sheep to stay alive.

Sir Palidor: You can’t really blame them; you do have to admit that you do have the appearance of an Ogre!

Ogre: I realize that…there’s one more thing that you should know…after I moved into this cave I discovered a secret wall...behind it I found a treasure, no doubt part of what the Knights Templar hid.

Sir Palidor: I think it’s time that we all got together and have a talk… there is a universal solvent that dissolves all riddles. its name is truth.

Ogre: I’ll agree, but only if noone brings their swords!

Sir Palidor: Agreed.

(Sir Palidor leaves)

FADE OUT…FADE IN

ACT 6:
   Scene 1: Inside Roxburgh Manor House, the two knights sitting at the table, Sir Palidor enters.

Sir Fachnan: You’re alive! Did you kill the Ogre?

Sir Palidor: Is that your answer to everything? To kill?   No…we talked.

Sir Fachnan: Talked?! You were supposed to kill it!

Sir Palidor: Well, it seems that things are not as you say they are. These are much deeper waters than I had thought. 

Sir Fachnan: You’re wrong Palidor! We had an agreement.

Sir Palidor: Well, I'm living up to my part of it.

Sir Fachnan: You've done nothing but throw the whole darn thing right back into my lap.

Sir Palidor: A man can be hired to do anything in this world for another man but make a decision for him!...I wonder why you’re so strong on having him killed. Has he killed anyone?

Sir Fachnan: Not yet…but no doubt he will!

Sir Palidor: Of all the preposterous assumptions of humanity, nothing exceeds the criticisms made of the habits of the poor by the well housed, well warmed, and well fed.

(Sir Palidor looks at Sir Iestyn)

Sir Palidor: And what about you…Do you want him killed too?

Sir Iestyn: Well…I’ll be satisfied if you could just get it to leave us alone.

Sir Palidor: Have you both heard the stories of the Knights Templar in this area?

Sir Fachnan: What’s that got to do with our problem?

Sir Palidor: Just answer the question.

Sir Iestyn: I heard that they were given asylum here in Scotland after being condemned by the Pope.

Sir Palidor: Is that all you’ve heard about them?

Sir Iestyn: There are rumors of a treasure that they brought with them. They were said to have hidden it in this area.

Sir Fachnan: That’s all just a story…there’s NO treasure!

Sir Palidor: It’s no rumor, it’s a fact. And you have no idea where?

Sir Fachnan: Just what are you getting at, Palidor?

Sir Palidor: What about the cave above Sawlaws Mill, where the “so called ogre” lives?

Sir Fachnan: If there really is a treasure, which I doubt…I guess it’s possible.

Sir Palidor: You guess??? I think you know more than you’re saying!

Sir Fachnan: Are you calling me a liar? We can settle this with a dual if you wish!

Sir Palidor: That won’t be necessary, I’m sure we’ll find the answer in due time.

Sir Palidor (to Sir Iestyn): And what have you heard about the Black Plague?

Sir Iestyn: That was a few years ago.

Sir Palidor: And what happened then?

Sir Iestyn: It hit England very hard…and an army was formed here in Scotland to take advantage and drive away the English once and for all.

Sir Palidor: Was there anyone you know that was in that army?

Sir Iestyn: My father led a group of knights from Roxburgh, but they were all killed by the plague.

Sir Palidor: And you know for a fact that anyone who gets the plague dies?

Sir Iestyn: I’m not a doctor, but that’s what I heard.

Sir Palidor: Well you heard wrong… the mortality rate for infected victims is only 72%. That means 23% survived. And a small number, about 0.2% of people are naturally resistant to the plague due to unusual protein structures. But for those who have lived, they paid a high price…the price is deformity...It seems that your father was one of those who didn’t die.

Sir Iestyn: You mean he’s still alive? Where is he?

Sir Palidor: He lives in a place you call Sunlaws Cave.

Sir Fachnan: Don’t listen to him, he’s only trying to confuse us. That Ogre is NOT your father!

Sir Palidor: You should let Sir Iestyn decide that for himself!
Your “so called Ogre” has agreed to meet with you on one condition…that we all leave our swords behind.

Sir Fachnan: That’s madness! It will kill us all! Why should we go?

Sir Palidor: Because it is my desire. Is that not enough? Are you afraid?

Sir Fachnan: No…I’m not afraid

Sir Palidor: Then it’s agreed, we’ll all go up to meet him and talk, and you can decide for yourselves what is truth and what is not! In life, unlike chess, the game continues after checkmate.

Sir Fachnan: Very well, but I don’t like the idea of leaving our swords behind!

FADE OUT…FADE IN

« Last Edit: 2012-07-21, 20:35:20 by Sir John of Felsenbau »
-The Purple Knight-
Mea Motto:  "Perseverantis Vincit Omnia"
Mea Philosophia:
      "Excessus in Moderstia"
      "Crescit Senex est Manditory, Excrescendi est Voluntarium"

Sir John of Felsenbau

• Forum Follower
« Reply #32 on: 2012-07-22, 17:38:40 »
ACT 7:
   Scene 1: (The two knights and Palidor arrive at the Ogre’s cave…Sir Fachnan draws a knife and lunges at the Ogre, but Sir Palidor draws his knife and throws it, killing Sir Fachnan)

Sir Palidor: I was afraid he might try to kill you…he knows about the treasure and wanted it for himself. You do occasionally find a carrion crow among the eagles.

Sir Iestyn: You mean there really is a treasure hidden in the cave?

Sir Palidor: Yes, it’s true, but he won’t have to worry about that any more. Now it’s time to clear things up with you and your father.

(Sir Iestyn looks at the Ogre)

Sir Iestyn: How do I know that he’s really my father?

Ogre: Ask me anything about your life…

Sir Iestyn: What did my father give me before he left?

Ogre: His grandfather’s knight templar medal.

(Sir Iestlyn pulls out the medal from around his neck.)

Sir Iestyn: Where did my coat of Arms come from?

Ogre: You chose it yourself…after a faithfull dog you had when you were A child.

Sir Iestyn: One more question… Tell me about my birthmark.

Ogre: You never were born with a birthmark, but when you became a Knight, you had a tattoo of a thistle Put on the back of your neck.

(Palidor pulls Iestyn’s surcoat down in the back to reveal the tattoo)-Note: I do have temporary tattos of the thistle that I had made up.

Sir Palidor: He’s right…it’s there

Ogre: Are you satisfied now?

Sir Iestyn: Yes…very.Welcome home father. I’m so sorry for everything…how you’ve been treated these past couple years.

(Sir Iestyn embraces his father)

Ogre: Please don’t worry about it….I would have acted the same way…it’s good to finally be back home!

Sir Palidor: I think you’re forgetting something…

Ogre: Yes…Sir Fachtina was right… part of the Templar’s treasure was hidden far back in this cave…I give it to the town to help rebuild all the destruction that has been done during these border wars.

Sir Iestyn: I don’t know what to say…or how to make things up to you…

Ogre: Your love and me being home is enough.

Sir Palidor: I think my work here is done! I will be leaving now.

Ogre: One moment…before you go…for your trouble…from the Templars treasure.

(The Ogre pulls out a small bag and hands it to Sir Palidor)

Sir Palidor: I thank you for your generosity....it shall be put to good use as Endinburgh is also in need of repair from these wars.

Sir Iestyn: Thanks for everything… you are a true knight! Have a safe journey home.

(Shot as Sir Palidor leaves and walks into the distance)

(Ending theme music)- Note: I do have the theme music without words...anyone can sing? I need to add my own words to the ballad.

(Final credits):

Sir Palidor…………..
Sir Iestyn……………
Sir Fachnan………….
Squire Godfrey…….
The “Ogre”………..

Now if there were more interested in a part, but has little time...the chess match could be against another scottishman. (I will use my McNicol theme for that.) Plus in the first swordfight, I would have liked to have 3 knights fighting the Ogre, but the 3rd could be only a bit part.

The Carelton and Roxburgh Mansion inside shots can be done at my house. I'm working on props for them right now. I do have a yard, but not sure it would be appropriate for the movie since it IS a backyard...although since my wife died, I've sort of let it go and it really looks like wild woods.

Anyway, this is only the first draft of the screenplay...I'm awaiting comments and suggestions.

Sir John

-The Purple Knight-
Mea Philosophia:
      "Excessus in Moderstia"

Joshua Santana

• Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Honorare scutum meum, veritas mea gladio
« Reply #33 on: 2012-07-23, 18:17:33 »
Well Done Sir John!  Very well done.  I like the screen play and the flow of the story line. 

I think this is something of an awesome project. 

May I ask are going to do more projects like this?  I will message you an idea of mine for a movie. 
Knight of The Lion Blade

Honora gladium meum, veritas mea, et SpirĂ­tui Sancto.  כדי לכבד המגן שלי, האמת שלי חרבי

Honor My Sword, Truth My Shield.

Sir John of Felsenbau

• Forum Follower
« Reply #34 on: 2012-07-28, 13:38:48 »
Gotta get this one made first. And that depends on who can spare the time. It's a lot of work making a movie...pre production and post production...besides the actual filming...glad you like the screeplay. It's just the first draft. Interested in playing a part?

Sir John
-The Purple Knight-
Mea Philosophia:
      "Excessus in Moderstia"

Joshua Santana

• Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Honorare scutum meum, veritas mea gladio
« Reply #35 on: 2012-08-02, 03:13:23 »
IN honesty I don't think I will be able to/  University Duties and Travel issues would be the problem.  My reason for asking is because I like your idea and I will sometime PM you on a film project idea of mine. 
Knight of The Lion Blade

Honora gladium meum, veritas mea, et SpirĂ­tui Sancto.  כדי לכבד המגן שלי, האמת שלי חרבי

Honor My Sword, Truth My Shield.