"When a virtuous man is raised, it brings gladness to his friends, grief to his enemies, and glory to his posterity."
                -- Ben Jonson

Author Topic: Hello everyone!  (Read 13289 times)

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
Re: Hello everyone!
« Reply #15 on: 2012-06-05, 16:02:51 »

Either Order is viable through the 13th. It's the start of the 14th that limits your choice. :)
Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #16 on: 2012-06-05, 19:07:12 »
So it is...so it is.  Its just...they really started losing most of their battles after the stalemate that was the Third Crusade.  lol
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€

Frater de Beaumanoir

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Follower
  • Romans 13:4
« Reply #17 on: 2012-06-05, 21:49:28 »
Welcome Brother,

You'll find yourself amongst learned company amidst these Brethren. I might also recommend a FB group known as the Beausant Brotherhood for all things Military Orders related. It will also provide other contacts to branch out elsewhere, if you so desire.

+nnDnn+

Sir Gerard de Rodes

• "Chivalry our Strength, Brotherhood our sword"
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Robor meum Deus
    • The Freemen Of Gwent
« Reply #18 on: 2012-06-13, 18:13:21 »
Welcome and good speed to you Sir Justin.
G.
"War is at first like a beautiful girl with whom all men long to play,but in the end like a repulsive hag whose suitors all weep and ache" Samuel Hanagid (993-1056)

Lord Dane

• The Hound, Hunter, and Hammer of Justice
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Selflessness, Service, Justice.
« Reply #19 on: 2012-06-14, 03:43:11 »
You are...and the advice we have to give will serve you well, whether your focus is more costume and ren-oriented, or historically accurate/living history oriented.  Medieval Collectibles, like Museum Replicas, specializes in the costuming side of things...their wares are generally durable and pretty well made, for off the rack stuff.  After years of using them myself I am now of the mind that I want it to be a bit more historical- so of course, that costs more, but it needn't break the bank.  Slowly but surely as they say.

Although, I should mention that I may be switching orders to that of the Teutonic Knights since they are a faith-oriented order, and still prominent in the 13th Century which is the period I'm currently focusing on.  I blame Sir Nathan.  lol

Templars, Hospitalliers, Teutonics....all Crusaders alike. Whichever Christian-based order you decide, take your vows, swear your feality, pledge your allegiance, make your salutes, buy your robes, take up your swords, and...end up spending more money than you thought you had.  Which will make you understand why they were truely impoverished knights. lol

Personally, I think the Teutonics had the best look but the Templars have the most mystique (even to modern day). Hospitalliers had the most noble and faithful intentions of the monastic-based military orders of the Crusader-era.   
"Fides, Honos, Prudentia, Sapiencia" (Faith, Honor, Prudence, Wisdom)
"Fiat justitia ruat caelum" (Let justice be done)

SirNathanQ

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • "Nobiscum Deus" "Libertas ad omnes civitates"
« Reply #20 on: 2012-07-05, 17:31:20 »
Lord Dane, what do you mean best look? I think we Teutonic Brudern also come in first place for best Entire Monastic Sovereign State, being the most powerful and running the most successful of the Crusades!

Sir William, join the Order, and help yourself to all the victory and glory you can stomach against the pagan foe!

"The maximum use of force is in no way incompatible with the simultaneous use of the intellect." -Carl Von Clausewitz
"He is truly a fearless knight and secure on every side, for his soul is protected by the armor of faith just as his body is protected by armor of steel." -Saint Bernard of Clairvoux

Lord Dane

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #21 on: 2012-07-07, 13:14:29 »
Lord Dane, what do you mean best look? I think we Teutonic Brudern also come in first place for best Entire Monastic Sovereign State, being the most powerful and running the most successful of the Crusades!

Sir William, join the Order, and help yourself to all the victory and glory you can stomach against the pagan foe!

Simply put, The Teutonics had the best signet adorning their surcoats. Hence, I like the look. Their devotion to the Crusader states before the fall of Jerusalem to Saladin, assisting at the battle at Damascus, & holding their ground at the siege of Acre during the Third Crusade (assisting Richard & Philip) is well documented to the Order's credit.  They held out longer than most of the monastic orders.  But your order was just 'war-mongering' in the name of the Crusader cause after the Crusader states fell.  The battles depicted were very viscious where your order fought.  "Season of the the Witch" (starring Nicholas Cage) minus the Hollywood additives in the beginning gives a good account time-wise of the battles engaged in by the Teutonics.

SirNathanQ

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #22 on: 2012-07-07, 23:22:42 »
Lord Dane, I believe you have us confused with another order. While I do agree that the Teutonic Order does of course have the best look  ;), the order wasn't founded until the siege of Acre during the 3rd crusade (1190). We weren't even around until after Saladin took Jerusalem, though we did play a large part (along with the Templars and Hospitallers) in maintaining the crusader states throughout the 13th century. 
 Concerning our actions outside of the Holy Land (which I'm assuming is what you mean by "War-mongering") we actually had our theatre of operations changed to the Baltic in 1225, long before the end of the Crusades in the Holy Land. Our Baltic Crusades were legitimately called for and recognized by the papacy, and (in addition to converting the native peoples and bringing Christianity into the region) held a large monastic state comparable to any nation of Europe for a period of several centuries.

Furthermore, I would seriously doubt "Season of the Witch's" take on the Teutonic Order. The examples of battles shown had very little to do with the reality of the Teutonic situation. The Teutonic order operated in little to none of the areas mentioned during the time period, and weren't fighting Muslims at the time  (the vast majority of the battles are depicted in the Middle East and fighting Muslims, while the Teutonic Order was in the Baltic battling pagans)   
"The maximum use of force is in no way incompatible with the simultaneous use of the intellect." -Carl Von Clausewitz
"He is truly a fearless knight and secure on every side, for his soul is protected by the armor of faith just as his body is protected by armor of steel." -Saint Bernard of Clairvoux

Lord Dane

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #23 on: 2012-07-08, 07:09:30 »
Lord Dane, I believe you have us confused with another order. While I do agree that the Teutonic Order does of course have the best look  ;), the order wasn't founded until the siege of Acre during the 3rd crusade (1190). We weren't even around until after Saladin took Jerusalem, though we did play a large part (along with the Templars and Hospitallers) in maintaining the crusader states throughout the 13th century. 
 Concerning our actions outside of the Holy Land (which I'm assuming is what you mean by "War-mongering") we actually had our theatre of operations changed to the Baltic in 1225, long before the end of the Crusades in the Holy Land. Our Baltic Crusades were legitimately called for and recognized by the papacy, and (in addition to converting the native peoples and bringing Christianity into the region) held a large monastic state comparable to any nation of Europe for a period of several centuries.

Furthermore, I would seriously doubt "Season of the Witch's" take on the Teutonic Order. The examples of battles shown had very little to do with the reality of the Teutonic situation. The Teutonic order operated in little to none of the areas mentioned during the time period, and weren't fighting Muslims at the time  (the vast majority of the battles are depicted in the Middle East and fighting Muslims, while the Teutonic Order was in the Baltic battling pagans)   

I stand corrected, Sir Nathan. I shall look more into historical references of the Teutonics.  I did not focus on the Baltic states much... but I shall enjoy looking more into this.  Thank you for some insight.  I was under the impression that the 'origins' of the Order started earlier as a group of German Hospitalliers sanctioned by The Holy Roman Emperor & Pope Celestine II in 1143 but not officially ordained by the Papacy as a new Order until the Third Crusade (which hence became "teutonics") in 1190.  Originally a hospice order that was converted to a more military order to serve the Crusader efforts.   

SirNathanQ

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #24 on: 2012-07-09, 02:25:16 »
Well there was a German hospital under the control of the Hospitallers in Jerusalem before the fall to Saladin, but the Teutonic Order established at Acre was completely different. If anything, the original hospital can be credited for giving the Germans at Acre the idea.