"Success is never final. Failure is never fatal. It is courage that counts."
                -- Winston Churchill

Author Topic: Inexpensive Body Armour  (Read 6031 times)

Cavaliere di Fiore

• New Forum Member
Inexpensive Body Armour
« on: 2012-05-31, 03:36:30 »
Hello fellows,

I have been doing WMA for a few years now and really enjoy it. Recently, though, I have found an opportunity to train with members of the SCA, but find my very light armour obviously inadequate for SCA heavy fighting. If any of you have suggestions for relatively inexpensive chest/kidney protection, as well as a good gorget, I would appreciate the information and maybe some links.

I am no armouror, but I can probably bend precut plates and sew together things like lamellar. I am not looking for perfectly period, as I want to get out quickly. As long as it is protective and doesn't look like utter shite I am interested. Thank you for any information.

Regards,
Tim

Thorsteinn

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
Re: Inexpensive Body Armour
« Reply #1 on: 2012-05-31, 04:01:06 »
#1) What is your budget?

#2) What is your Period?

#3) A surcoat/ Tunic covers many sins.

This is me at Coronet last weekend- http://modernchivalry.org/forum/index.php/topic,1909.0.html

-Ivan
Cynaguan Guardsman. Mixed Marshal & Heavy Fighter since 2000.
Fall down seven, get up eight.

Bernarr

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: 2012-05-31, 04:37:06 »
If you're going late 14th, there's a pretty good (and probably cheap) outline for making a wispy coat of plates here-
http://www.sinister.net/wisbylb.htm

I haven't done any pricing yet though, so I'm not sure how much it's going to run.

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #3 on: 2012-05-31, 14:12:37 »
It depends on what you're wanting...I've seen pickle barrel plastic armor (although anyone in the SCA will tell you to steer clear because it doesn't look period) but depending on your period, you could hide a good bit of that with a surcoat.  I've seen plastic breastplates that are used by fencers...or the aluminum ones to cut weight but give the same protection.  Are you a member of the Armour Archive?  A lot of SCA style armor gets exchanged on the Classifieds sub-board of that AA...I'd check that out.
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.”

Joshua Santana

• Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Honorare scutum meum, veritas mea gladio
« Reply #4 on: 2012-05-31, 15:56:50 »
#1) What is your budget?

#2) What is your Period?

#3) A surcoat/ Tunic covers many sins.

I can see that you want a 14th Century Kit, be careful and keep accuracy in mind. 
Knight of The Lion Blade

Honora gladium meum, veritas mea, et SpirĂ­tui Sancto.  כדי לכבד המגן שלי, האמת שלי חרבי

Honor My Sword, Truth My Shield.

Sir Wolf

• He Who is Not to be Named
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
« Reply #5 on: 2012-05-31, 16:31:11 »
can't go wrong with a riveted mail shirt to start

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #6 on: 2012-05-31, 18:11:19 »

Except he said relatively inexpensive, which cuts maille shirts out for the most part, unless he went butted.  It sounds like he wants a coat of plates, when I tried to link WTC's site I got 'connection refused' so I can't send him there.  Is it just me or is the site down?
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.”

Joshua Santana

• Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #7 on: 2012-05-31, 23:54:44 »
Except he said relatively inexpensive, which cuts maille shirts out for the most part, unless he went butted.  It sounds like he wants a coat of plates, when I tried to link WTC's site I got 'connection refused' so I can't send him there.  Is it just me or is the site down?

Hhhhhmmmm, interesting, it could be. 
Knight of The Lion Blade

Honora gladium meum, veritas mea, et SpirĂ­tui Sancto.  כדי לכבד המגן שלי, האמת שלי חרבי

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #8 on: 2012-06-01, 03:01:13 »

It's up now: http://www.wintertreecrafts.com/catalogues/neckandtorso.html
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent

Joshua Santana

• Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #9 on: 2012-06-01, 13:49:04 »

It's up now: http://www.wintertreecrafts.com/catalogues/neckandtorso.html

Now that Cavaliere di Fiore is a source you can use to get started with your 14th Century Harness.   ;)
Knight of The Lion Blade

Lord Dane

• The Hound, Hunter, and Hammer of Justice
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Selflessness, Service, Justice.
« Reply #10 on: 2012-06-14, 00:50:38 »

Hhhhhmmmm, interesting, it could be.

Maille shirts, etc. w/ welded rings always stay together. Much better for heavy-fighting as they stay together opposed to butted or riveted rings when struck hard. Downside: More expense but never have to replace maille rings. Although I do wear a butted maille under my plate armor for look, I wear the welded for heavy fighting.
« Last Edit: 2012-06-14, 00:53:57 by Lord_Dane »
"Fides, Honos, Prudentia, Sapiencia" (Faith, Honor, Prudence, Wisdom)
"Fiat justitia ruat caelum" (Let justice be done)