Main > The Round Table

Lessons learned from 6 hours in harness

<< < (3/4) > >>

Sir William:
James, you're a hero to us all.  I thought you'd lost your mind but you knew what you were about - certainly better than I did.  ;)

Sir James A:
Sir Wolf, thank you.

Sir Edward, I absolutely understand about the constant flow of water bottles. It's both understood, and greatly appreciated. The longer the day wears on, the more I forget to keep drinking. :)

Joshua Santana, I am, of course, more than happy to provide you with thoughts and suggestions on your harness when the time comes. Physical conditioning is definitely key; I can't think of any way to truly prepare yourself for long-term time in harness, except for actually wearing it. It's not like running, it's not like weightlifting. It's a hybrid. Sure, the weight is spread out over your body - but 75 pounds gets heavy after a while, distributed or not. Make sure to mix up the training methods for both strength and endurance. If either of those is lacking, your harness will let you know.

Sir Gerard, the main issue was the centering pin on my greave. The inside of the greave isn't smooth, it has the protrusion from the round-head rivet, as well as being welded all around it. This makes a nice 'nub' that kept digging at my shin bone and leaving those marks in front. I *knew* I'd need padding; I forgot to bring it in my excitement. Also, the blister is the top of my toe, not my foot - although I am indeed using the same "spur strap" method for resting my greave that you are. :) Thanks for the kind words on the harness.

Lord Rodney, thank you. It was a blast. The armor was literally rusting before it came off my body, particularly inside. I refuse to use an armor bag, as you stated, it's not friendly to armor at all. I did have to keep it in the trunk, but I kept the plate separate from the clothing. I've since cleaned the inside of all of the armor and applied epoxy paint so that it won't rust again. I have some oil wipes and spray, which seem to have done the trick so far, after getting home. I washed my arming clothes last night, as I'm not sure what the rust will do to the fabric. I believe Febreze will be my friend - or rather, the friend of those around me. ;)

Sir William, 'tis rather possible - nay, even likely - that I have lost my mind - especially in that I will be doing this again in a week and a half - though I hope with minimal to no bruising this time.

I'd like to say thank you to Sir Edward, Sir Brian, Sir William, and my "squire" for the day Chris, for the help in getting me armored up, keeping me fed, hydrated, and functioning, and helping me get out of harness. I absolutely could not have done it without your help and support! 8)

Sir Wolf:
to quote someone "you whine like a mule, you are still alive!"

ahhaha jkjk hehehehe. ya I am totally with you about the re-hydrating at events. the only events I do stay hydrated is WW2 and thats cause you carry a canteen on you all day and its my job as SSgt to keep myself and my 20 guys hydrated. otherwise i'm horrible about it.

Joshua Santana:

--- Quote ---Joshua Santana, I am, of course, more than happy to provide you with thoughts and suggestions on your harness when the time comes. Physical conditioning is definitely key; I can't think of any way to truly prepare yourself for long-term time in harness, except for actually wearing it. It's not like running, it's not like weightlifting. It's a hybrid. Sure, the weight is spread out over your body - but 75 pounds gets heavy after a while, distributed or not. Make sure to mix up the training methods for both strength and endurance. If either of those is lacking, your harness will let you know.
--- End quote ---

Thank you Sir James!  Much appreciated and I expect nothing to come out as planned originally when training with the Kit when it finally comes.  Still, thank you.

--- Quote ---I'd like to say thank you to Sir Edward, Sir Brian, Sir William, and my "squire" for the day Chris, for the help in getting me armored up, keeping me fed, hydrated, and functioning, and helping me get out of harness. I absolutely could not have done it without your help and support!
--- End quote ---

Huzzah!

--- Quote ---but I completely disassemble my kit and wipe it down with gun oil as soon as I get home.  If I'm at a multi-day event, I'll do it as soon as I get back to camp while "rehydrating" with home brew.  The hockey/armour bag is your enemy; get your stuff out of it ASAP.  The gambeson can be left to hang dry in direct sunlight and washed only sparingly (read: when your wife demands it
--- End quote ---

Advice taken.   ;)

Sir Wolf:
http://forums.armourarchive.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=149548 padded chausis!!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version