Main > The Round Table

Lessons learned from 6 hours in harness

(1/4) > >>

Sir James A:
Lesson #1 - Padded chausses. Definitely.

I knew that front centering pin on the greave could be a problem, since I just had it welded on that morning before I left and didn't have time for any "testing". I picked up some blue foam padding, which I left next to the computer... oops! All I wore between me and the plate was single-layer linen pants. The sides are "corner bites" from either the greave corner or the articulating rivets, haven't put them back on to see which one it was yet. edit: forgot to mention the blisters. one on my left heel popped and left a nice little 'skin flap'; another on my right foot, on top of my small toe - no idea how that happened! never had one on top of my foot before.

Courtesy of the humidity and profuse sweating, I spent ~4 hours cleaning rust from the inside of the armor - which I promptly gave a coating of black epoxy paint. Still need to de-rust the outside. I can't imagine what would have happened if the armor wasn't oiled!

I also didn't wear any padding on my upper body except for the arming coat. No bruises!

Lesson #2 - Know your limits, and respect them. Chubby computer programmers are not built for hot, humid days, in full harness. I made it about 6 hours on Saturday in harness but couldn't make it to the 3rd show; Sunday, I cheated and wore my surcoat but no cuirass. I made it about 7 1/2 hours that day, and did all 3 shows.

Lesson #3 - Hydrate, conserve and relax. Drink fluids. Lots of fluids. Don't overexert yourself early - like I did saturday, showing off a bit. Special thank you to Sir Edward, Sir Brian, Sir William and my (cousin? nephew?) Chris for helping me with everything over the weekend. I absolutely could not have made it through the day without their assistance.

At least I looked intimidating on the bench!

Not in the face!

Right before I shed the armor - you can see the exhaustion in my eyes

Sir Brian:
Sir James my esteem for your stoutheartedness has been multiplied tenfold after the hardships you endured without complaint! Truly it was worthy of a seasoned 'grunt'. I am honored and privileged to call you my brother knight!  :)
- oh and use more padding! ;)

Thorsteinn:
:D

Also- Natural Fibers are your friend. Synthetics the Devil!
&
Helm Time is your friend.

I love me my 3 layer Linen gambeseon. It worked all weekend at the cold,rainy, hot, humid event:

Note: Due to a medium man with a greatsword, and a large man with a broadsword hitting my right triceps at the Pas d'Armes I have a bruise that goes from elbow to armpit.

Sir James A:

--- Quote from: Sir Brian on 2012-05-29, 18:58:12 ---Sir James my esteem for your stoutheartedness has been multiplied tenfold after the hardships you endured without complaint! Truly it was worthy of a seasoned 'grunt'.
--- End quote ---

Thank you, Sir Brian. I did my best, and wish I could have held in there for the third show on the first day. I knew it would be a challenge before I even suited up - but I did not know just how much of a challenge it would be!

--- Quote from: Sir Brian on 2012-05-29, 18:58:12 ---I am honored and privileged to call you my brother knight!  :)

--- End quote ---

As am I! Hear hear! :)

--- Quote from: Sir Brian on 2012-05-29, 18:58:12 ---- oh and use more padding! ;)

--- End quote ---

Indeed! Padded chausses are on this weekend's high priority list. If I would have just remembered to pack the 'backup padding' squares I had in the room with me as I was posting and packing friday, I would have been much better off. But, lesson learned. ;)

Sir Wolf:
ya but ya looked kinda awesome heheeee

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version