"No person was ever honored for what he received. Honor has been the reward for what he gave."
                -- Calvin Coolidge

Author Topic: Shoulders  (Read 6743 times)

Bernarr

• Forum Member
Shoulders
« on: 2012-05-20, 06:48:22 »
Reading through other posts, I came across this site mentioned and browsed around a bit. I found these shoulders that I like the look of, but was wondering if anyone could place them in a specific period or if they're just an original design? The shield tie-on kind of reminds me of the shoulder shields from the movie first knight-
http://www.bestarmour.com/arm_harness_5.html

edit- forgot to mention which they are.. "Spaulders RH 5.5" all the way at the bottom of the page
« Last Edit: 2012-05-20, 06:49:10 by Bernarr »

Sir Wolf

• He Who is Not to be Named
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
Re: Shoulders
« Reply #1 on: 2012-05-20, 07:28:01 »
They look like 15th centuru spaulders to me. The cheq usually have different artwork to work from than most americans see so they may have seen the lil shield device somewhere to copy it from.

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #2 on: 2012-05-20, 15:38:05 »
They look, to me, like a mash-up of a couple different things. The shield is reminiscent of an ailette. The vertical guard is something I've only seen on large pauldrons, and not the smaller style like that. The rest of it looks fine. I would call it historically inspired, but I'm not sure I would call it a reproduction unless I saw what it's based off of. I wouldn't even call it "fantasy" armor. It's just those couple little things that make me curious.
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent

Joshua Santana

• Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Honorare scutum meum, veritas mea gladio
« Reply #3 on: 2012-05-20, 17:09:38 »
Yes they do look like spaulders but then again I will have to research more on this.
Knight of The Lion Blade

Honora gladium meum, veritas mea, et SpirĂ­tui Sancto.  כדי לכבד המגן שלי, האמת שלי חרבי

Honor My Sword, Truth My Shield.

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #4 on: 2012-05-22, 16:17:56 »
They look like 15th centuru spaulders to me. The cheq usually have different artwork to work from than most americans see so they may have seen the lil shield device somewhere to copy it from.

Agreed; the hump of the shoulder and the multiple lames lead me to believe it is later period (15th C).  What period are you looking to model your harness after?
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.”

Bernarr

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: 2012-05-23, 06:18:55 »
I'm going with 14th century, so they're a bit too late for me

Sir Wolf

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
« Reply #6 on: 2012-05-23, 12:15:13 »
nice coa pic  there!  now what time frame of the 14thc are we talking about? things change a lil bit in armour during this time hehehe

Bernarr

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: 2012-05-23, 13:27:58 »
Yea, I keep forgetting the whole "transitional" part of that.. More to the mid/later end, Wisby-ish, if you will. I dig the Wisby gauntlets, and hope to be ordering a pair of those soon. I'm leaning towards the ones at the top here (Gauntlets RG 7.1)-
http://www.bestarmour.com/gauntlets_7.html

Joshua Santana

• Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Honorare scutum meum, veritas mea gladio
« Reply #8 on: 2012-05-23, 16:10:32 »
Yea, I keep forgetting the whole "transitional" part of that.. More to the mid/later end, Wisby-ish, if you will. I dig the Wisby gauntlets, and hope to be ordering a pair of those soon. I'm leaning towards the ones at the top here (Gauntlets RG 7.1)-

Excellent!
Knight of The Lion Blade

Honora gladium meum, veritas mea, et SpirĂ­tui Sancto.  כדי לכבד המגן שלי, האמת שלי חרבי

Honor My Sword, Truth My Shield.

Bernarr

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: 2012-05-23, 16:47:37 »
They take up to 6 months according to their site, so I'm trying to hunt down someone who will do them faster. I've sent a few emails out to armorers, but haven't heard anything back yet.

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #10 on: 2012-05-23, 17:29:52 »
For wisby gauntlets, you can try Les Brown ("whonew" on armourarchive.org) or Mad Matt (http://www.madmattsarmory.com/) if you haven't already
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent

Bernarr

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on: 2012-05-23, 18:21:49 »
Ah! The 3turrets guy, I came across his site and was hanging onto it as a reserve in case some of the more known guys didn't get back to me. Doing a search on AA shows he IS one of the more known guys HA! The very first post that turned up started with "You need Whonew, his gauntlets are second to none."

MadMatt has it on his site that he isn't taking any more orders, not sure if that's still valid or what.

Sir Wolf

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
« Reply #12 on: 2012-05-23, 20:13:36 »
wow i didnt know best armoury did wisby now!! it's been a long time since i was there. sweet. they make some awesome stuff.

check with some of the ukranine or russian or cheq guys on the archive. great prices and awesome stuff

Bernarr

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on: 2012-05-23, 20:17:30 »
I'm still leaning towards the bestarmour wisby's, I like the way they look over the others I've seen so far. The 6 month wait is still weighing on my decision though. Ah well, if I don't have them this summer, I'll have em for next year!

Sir Wolf

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
« Reply #14 on: 2012-05-23, 20:20:54 »
thats actually not to bad. any less and you could get a rushed project or an armourer that may flake out.

have you found an image of a suit that you like to go with? we can help!!